Via T electronic toll system - where to position on windscreen

I am about to purchase a Via T electronic toll system which will enable me to drive through tolls in France and Spain without the need to queue up to pick up a ticket and later make payment. This is particularly helpful as the toll booths are always on the wrong side of the car for a right hand drive car so if no passenger present it is necessary to get out of the car which doesn't go down well with other drivers behind.

It would be helpful if somebody could advise the exact position on the windscreen I should position the Via-T as I understand sun darkened screens will not allow the signal to be picked up.

My car is the L&K model which has a camera behind the rear view mirror for headlight assist so I need to make sure that I do not block any other signals.

Thanks in advance.

I have a sanef one. Not sure exactly what via t is, as its sanef that run the tolls. Anyway, can't imagine it makes any difference.

It goes in the black shaded area to the side of the rear view mirror 'box'

My understanding is it needs to be in a clear glass area. So assuming your car doesnt have a tinted shadeband at the top, either top right or left.

I'd avoid the shaded areas imo.

'Sun darkened' windscreens probably means the athermic windscreens, those silvery windscreens you see on a lot of Renaults that block some of the burning hot sun you get, driving through France and Spain....

Can only speak about my friend's Passat, but he has it positioned in the shaded area at top of screen and has used it for 3 years without any problems. His system only recognises French tolls even though he drives through France to Spain. Maybe there are some that can be used in both countries.

Just back from our drive from Spain and France and can advise that my Bip & Drive auto toll gizmo worked perfectly on all motorways and saved queuing up both to collect tickets and then making payment later. Another significant bonus is that I was able to position my car in the middle of the toll gates so no chance of scraping the car on the left hand side to get closer to the ticket machine. It would also have been a nightmare if driving my right hand drive car and having to get out of the car each time to pick up a ticket and make payment.

I can confirm that I positioned the gizmo in the shaded area of the windscreen immediately behind the rear view mirror. If anybody reading this message goes the same way please be aware that you need to be very careful when positioning the gizmo as the adhesive is very strong and I couldn't move it even after a couple of seconds. I chose to place it on the driver's side of the car with no problems with recognition.

I should point out that Bip & Drive might only be useful for people who have a Spanish bank account so they can direct debit in euros to the account.