Best tyres recommendations?

and another plus 1.

continental were great until they got close to the limit and were then amazingly noisy, so much so that I changed them early.

Similar experience with Conti SportContact 2's, OE fitment on our ex Skoda Superb, down to 3/4mm tread & 'orribly noisy!

I swapped fronts /rears to even-out the wear & then had the Goodyears fitted. (EfficientGrip Performance, 225/40 18's).

Suits the 2.0 TSi's performance, quieter with slightly better mpg & quite chuckable as well.

I'm trying not to drive it like our Golf R, but it is very forgiving..........

As for brands, I thought that Kumho was near the bottom of the pile, but a pair of 235/4018's for our EOS cost £200 fitted, not the absolute cheapest price but 

only a mile from home, rather than a 30 mile round-trip to the nearest Blue Circles outfit.

DC 

I have Goodyear budget tyre Sava on my Superb, they are rated as 97 for noise and so far I am very happy with them.

Quick question  - what does the 97 rating mean? 

(I'm just asking as I don't think it can be decibels - because that would be a very, very noisy one! Might be a typo..?)

Tyres are rated for wear, noise and fuel ecconomy, if you look at the likes of "Mytyres" or other tyre retailers you will see these rating for each tyre. Typically most tyres are rated at 91 or 92 for noise, the lower the number he better. The Sava were the lowest that I found along with a Dunlop tyre which was quite a bit more expensive. Just had a look on a website, the db is given as 66 against 71 for a Pirelli. My 92 figue was from memory and was wrong.

Tyres are rated for wear, noise and fuel ecconomy, if you look at the likes of "Mytyres" or other tyre retailers you will see these rating for each tyre. Typically most tyres are rated at 91 or 92 for noise, the lower the number he better. The Sava were the lowest that I found along with a Dunlop tyre which was quite a bit more expensive. Just had a look on a website, the db is given as 66 against 71 for a Pirelli. My 92 figue was from memory and was wrong.

66 dB is definitely a good (low) sound rating.

Happy with my dunlop sportmax rt (audi original) 225 40 18 92 y xl,    very quiet,stops fast in wet & dry conditions.

Maybe consider some sound deadening treatment on the rear arches and boot floor,some info on a yeti project below.

http://www.nkgroup.co.uk/2014/12/11/noisekiller-soundproofing-kit-transforms-multiple-car-year-winner-skoda-yeti/

Just seen that there are loads of different types of Goodyear efficient grips on the market can we be a bit more specific as to which ones please ?

Also my car has 18 inch alloys so you can unfortunately feel every bump and roads noise on poor tyres .

I should have said - 13,000 miles on the rubber over exactly 2 years and I've put 8000 of that wear on them (car bought from Skoda Ireland - it was their Combi promotion car - with 5000 miles on the clock).

Tread depth today is an even 5mm across both the fronts and an even 6-7mm across both rears. Tires have not been rotated (yet).

Should also say that the roads where I am are a really crappy, rough surface quality (you're from Ireland so you'll know the score - council spraying tar and spreading gravel on it and then claiming it's a quality resurfacing! Lasted 2 weeks on the main road near me. It so good that they leave the "flying gravel" warning signs up for three years and counting.... :@ ).

Thats not too bad but you probably have 16" wheels on a higher sidewall so that certainly helps with mileage. We know all about rubbish roads in this country, a quick shower of rain and the 'resurfacing' job is up on the ditch :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superb170, on 02 Jul 2016 - 13:21, said:

Thats not too bad but you probably have 16" wheels on a higher sidewall so that certainly helps with mileage. We know all about rubbish roads in this country, a quick shower of rain and the 'resurfacing' job is up on the ditch :)

Nope - 17 inch wheels - 225/45 R17's

You are so right about the roadside gravel banks. With the rain in Clare this weekend we'll have Salmon spawning on them...!

• Like 1

Nope - 17 inch wheels - 225/45 R17's

You are so right about the roadside gravel banks. With the rain in Clare this weekend we'll have Salmon spawning on them...!

That's pretty good then with those tyres. I had that dimension tyre on my last 170 elegance and don't think they held up as good as that.

Superb170, on 02 Jul 2016 - 20:27, said:

That's pretty good then with those tyres. I had that dimension tyre on my last 170 elegance and don't think they held up as good as that.

Ahhh - but you had them on a mighty, heavyweight 170. I'm a light  little 105 so I cant help but be gentle on my tyres.    ;)

• Like 1

Quick question  - what does the 97 rating mean? 

(I'm just asking as I don't think it can be decibels - because that would be a very, very noisy one! Might be a typo..?)

That's what I am thinking also, he may be refering to the load index, rather than the dB level.

Just seen that there are loads of different types of Goodyear efficient grips on the market can we be a bit more specific as to which ones please ?

Also my car has 18 inch alloys so you can unfortunately feel every bump and roads noise on poor tyres .

225/40 18's,  Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance.

HTH, DC

Decided to get some Uniroyals rainsport 3 in the end, saw a fantastic price online that I couldn't refuse so went with them, I'll see how they fair, they've had some really good reviews too online.

Going to take the car on a hunter system and get all four wheels aligned.

Edited by Taximark