Advice on debadging boot

ChoonDoode

Hello

As the above title suggests, I'm going to attempt to debadge the SKODA and OCTAVIA letters from the boot lid, as I feel they crowd it a bit. I'm just after the VRS badge to be on the boot

I did ask when I ordered the car, however it wasn't 'on the options sheet'  :thumbdown:  and they were unsure how to explain that one over to the factory.

I've seen a few ways online;

* heat gun and peel them off

* heat gun and a plastic knife / spatula

* heat gun and floss

Now I'm a bit hesitant to rush into it and ruin my car's boot lid, however it is annoying me a bit as the rest of the trim pieces are the gloss black and these stick out for the wrong reasons.

your advice on how best to achieve said result

Ian

Can use hot water or hairdryer, cloth round a flathead to gently prise off, then lift off by hand, tar and glue remover and/or a toffee wheel to clean up.

What colour is your car? Some colours are more susceptible to staining which is left in the paint after removal, almost impossible to remove and leave your lacquer intact. If it's a new car? Staining may not have set in yet...

Don't use a heat gun, too risky and not really necessary.

• Like 1

Can use hot water or hairdryer, cloth round a flathead to gently prise off, then lift off by hand, tar and glue remover and/or a toffee wheel to clean up.

What colour is your car? Some colours are more susceptible to staining which is left in the paint after removal, almost impossible to remove and leave your lacquer intact. If it's a new car? Staining may not have set in yet...

Don't use a heat gun, too risky and not really necessary.

race blue to give it it's proper name

I agree with a heat gun, I used one to get some old tank pads of my track bike and whilst I wasn't too fussed, the paint bubbled on it

race blue to give it it's proper name

I agree with a heat gun, I used one to get some old tank pads of my track bike and whilst I wasn't too fussed, the paint bubbled on it

You might be ok with the blue, trouble is you don't know until the badges come off. The staining tends to be worse with reds, yellows and oranges, the kind of paints that have the pigments that can react to uv more than others.

I did my old yellow car and there was faint orange staining. It looked good but I just ended up putting new badges back on because it bugged me. Just refreshing the badges and cleaning under where they are made a nice difference mind.

• Administrators

Why don't you use plastidip and paint them black? Be a nice contrast having a base colour of blue with black lettering.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I have done this previously on other cars.

Fishing line carefully behind badge and “saw” the badge off through the adhesive, then use “sticky stuff remover” on what is left.

Quite a daunting task if you haven’t done it before........

• 4 weeks later...