BLT hesitation - gasket question

Doing a top end rebuild on my Fabia so got most of it stripped down.

Anyway, I've bought the reducer gasket for the EGR that's meant to fix the issue, it's currently 9mm but I think that will bring up the engine management light on the dash and log an EGR flow fault.

I was going to drill it out to 11mm but just checking what others have done?

The egr valve was filthy so a good clean would of been enough I'm sure but hoping adding the gasket will prevent it from clogging up more in the future and obviously fix the hesitation issue.

Alsoooo, did everyone els fit it directly onto the turbo manifold at the start of the EGR valve?

I drilled mine to 12mm (that was to be extra safe, think 11mm is ok) and it went in end near the airbox, I've also adjusted the adaptation with vcds. The stutter is much improved but still there slightly, mainly in 3rd and 4th. I have found ways to drive round it by and large, can just about live with it, would rather not delete the egr if I can avoid it.

I drilled mine to 12mm (that was to be extra safe, think 11mm is ok) and it went in end near the airbox, I've also adjusted the adaptation with vcds. The stutter is much improved but still there slightly, mainly in 3rd and 4th. I have found ways to drive round it by and large, can just about live with it, would rather not delete the egr if I can avoid it.

Thanks, I think 9mm is the best and cures the problem 100% but like you I want to play on the safe side of the EML :D I'll drill it out to 11mm as its the biggest one in the set and move the drill around a little so it's near enough 12mm also!

I hardly notice mine now and the EGR valve is filthy! I think just cleaning it would help my problem but like I say, I'd rather do what I can now to help it in future.

I definitely wouldn't remove my EGR valve all together because of it that's for sure, it helps my engine warm up quite quickly even on cold mornings :p

As for fitting, yeah mines on the airbox side, but straight off the manifold, you have 4 gaskets in place....

Turbo manifold

EGR cooler entry

EGR cooler exit

Bottom of EGR

Mines at stage one, turbo manifold which seems to be correct as its the only other metal gasket I removed :)

It's not just the EGR that causes the issue. Most of the oily residue in the system comes from the crankcase breather system.

Yeah, I've learnt as much over the years.

It's no big issue, 100,000 mile and it's doing ok, just like that oem+ thing again, if I can keep it standard and improve it slightly I will!

I'd be tempted to chop a section of the crank case breather pipe and just put an inline filter in place rather than the whole catch can.

Hi Hutchy

If you do find the EML light comes on after fitting the new gasket (which it did on the wifes 07 BLT, but not on our sons 06 BLT ???).

Then I'd recommend refitting the std gasket and adjusting the EGR valve with VAG COM from a stored value of 32768 (factory std) to 33638.

Not only does this cure the BLT stutter (100%) it will also prevent the EGR related EML fault.

• Like 2

I just went through doing this (11mm on the airbox side) and found that it solved most of the hesitation but still had a tiny tiny bit left. So today I got my local garage to clean the EGR and ASV, and used an additive in the fuel. This improved the hesitation even more... not sure if it is 100% gone just yet as I haven't driven the car enough to tell! 

• Like 1

I still get a very slight stutter and have done the gasket at 12mm, had the egr cleaned out and have adaptation set at 33628, which I think was the most I could do. Stutter is not bad at all but I'm wondering what else I can do to eradicate it without a full delete?

Check this out, it seems even though I can adapt it won't save and store for the next ignition cycle and reverts to 32768. So it seems the gasket alone at 12mm has nearly cured mine. I just test drove it at 33638 and it was spot on, no stutter whatsoever, next ignition cycle reverted again, will find someone with a full version so I can save the value properly.

• 1 year later...

Item 6 or item 11 on this page.

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/fabia/fab/2006-453/1/131-131045/

Underneath the ASV/EGR assembly. 9mm gasket will throw an engine light. 11-12mm won't. Any of the smaller gaskets slow winter warmup times (according to little brother who's done the job on his BLT Ibiza).

J.

• Thanks 1