A bit of Scholl guidance please

kentphil1

Hi all,

I've been spending the last 12 months perfecting my DA technique on different relatives cars, and now I want to give my mk1 Octy the same treatment.

Up to now I have been using Meguiars products - Ultimate compound, 105 and 205, but I was talking to a chap who was at a work gathering for my daughter who said he details for a living.

He suggested I have a look at the Scholl product range as they are easier to work for longer.

If this is true, could any of you very knowledgeable chaps on here recommend a range of Scholl polish grades to buy - preferably 3 like I already have, but I could expand it later as I get more confident.

I was watching the Forensic Detailing channel on YouTube, and he seems to like S3 Gold xxl, S20 black and S40, any comments on this - good or bad?.

Many thanks in advance

Phil.

Edited by kentphil1

If you're going for scholl get S3, S17+ and S40. 

Although, S25 is apparently a decent one stepper. But if you correct and then refine, the above will serve you well. 

I went for S30, but wish I'd got S40 as the work time is much better/longer for S40 as it's more lubricated.

Edit: S20, not S25. Oops.

Edited by Hunty278
  • Like 2

Some good info above. As said - its an easy polish to work with.

I'm a big fan of S17+ - especially on VAG paint.

I use it on both rotary and DA - and very happy with the results.

Having seen/read much on the S3 Gold xxl - i would like to try this too.

Finishing wise.... S40 looks good. :thumbup:

• Like 2

OK, thanks for the replies, has anybody tried s17 and s20 to express a preference at all?.

I am going to plump for s3 gold xxl, and s40, just need to sort out a middle man in either 17 or 20 so keep the replies coming please.

Once again many many thanks to those that have already commented, it really is much appreciated.

• Like 3

Just S17+ here. I'd say S17 needs refining with S40. So it depends, if you want a one step option, go S20. If you want more cut, go for S17. But be prepared to refine.

• Like 1

I think for the moment I'm going to go with S20 as the middle man, mainly on the basis that if I want just a quick finish, it looks like it is the tool for the job, and if I need to correct further I can drop to the S3 and allow more time.

One question, as I am moving up to what appear to me to be more aggressive polishes, do you think a paint depth gauge would be needed now?. To be honest when I use the meguiars stuff at the moment, I don't go in like a bull in a china shop, I always start on a soft pad and the least aggressive polish for the job and move up as required.

I also only have hexlogic pads in all the colours available, in both 4 and 5 inch, am I correct in assuming that I can still use these?, as the only other pads I have are the meguiars microfibre pads, and I think they are a little on the aggressive side for this, am I correct?.

I am so grateful for you fellas taking the time to educate a newbie like me, thanks a lot

• Like 1

There are a couple of reviews on the s20 on YouTube....the guy from Auto Fetish Detail uses a wool pad followed by one of the Scholl pads. Another guy fro Forendic Detailing just uses a Chemical Guys green pad, the one recommended for one step correction.

A paint depth gauge is a good idea for any polishing. But it is a lot of money. I haven't got one, as I prefer to round deeper scratches off rather than wet sand and remove them. Very useful if you were to go for a concourse look. If you go through the clearcoat it would need repainting.

The CG Hexlogic pads are great all rounders. It's what I use, with the addition of 3m yellow pads. Not got any experience of the Megs MF system; Ste has used them I believe. Hopefully he will help you out!

• Like 2

Bought some s20 black today and have the range of CG Hex pads....gonna give it a go this week on a mate's car. This stuff seems to be great for a one step process where a perfect two step finish isn't required. Saves time, money and will hopefully keep the customer satisfied. A very realistic approach....

• Like 4

I think for the moment I'm going to go with S20 as the middle man, mainly on the basis that if I want just a quick finish, it looks like it is the tool for the job, and if I need to correct further I can drop to the S3 and allow more time.

One question, as I am moving up to what appear to me to be more aggressive polishes, do you think a paint depth gauge would be needed now?. To be honest when I use the meguiars stuff at the moment, I don't go in like a bull in a china shop, I always start on a soft pad and the least aggressive polish for the job and move up as required.

I also only have hexlogic pads in all the colours available, in both 4 and 5 inch, am I correct in assuming that I can still use these?, as the only other pads I have are the meguiars microfibre pads, and I think they are a little on the aggressive side for this, am I correct?.

I am so grateful for you fellas taking the time to educate a newbie like me, thanks a lot

The Hexlogic pads should be a good starting point and best way to start....

The MF pads are indeed more aggressive and do gernerate a lot of heat evern with a DA, i have have found.

I save the MF pads for hard hard paint generally - ir when the softly softly approach aint working basically!

• Like 2