Touch up Paint

As the title suggests i'm in need of some touch up paint for the Octy.

Some expletive posting flyers has lifted the wiper and taken off the leading edge paint on the bonnet.

Outside of the dealer and their interesting price methodology is there a place that does a proper colour match set for the Octy III?

There are several paint shops on Ebay that offer colour match to paint code.  I used one in Ireland for my last car and they were every bit as good as dealers colour match and cheaper. I would avoid Halfords as I found their colour match to be poor though there off the shelf stuff is better.

Or you can use Chipex. I have use them to do my previous Metallic Black Toledo and I`m planning to buy a set for my Octy as I already have some on the front bumper. Paint match was spot on before

http://www.chipex.co.uk/?utm_expid=35337439-16.3K7j4tnWRfWC0xfJ0Mmp1g.0

Edited by imikk3

Or you can use Chipex. I have use them to do my previous Metallic Black Toledo and I`m planning to buy a set for my Octy as I already have some on the front bumper. Paint match was spot on before

http://www.chipex.co.uk/?utm_expid=35337439-16.3K7j4tnWRfWC0xfJ0Mmp1g.0

This is the first positive thing I've seen written about them. For me it was enough to to go for the Skoda stuff.

£15 delivered from one of the dealerships - fine by me. Ordered some wet/dry paper too just to try and do a bit of a better job.

• Like 1

This is the first positive thing I've seen written about them. For me it was enough to to go for the Skoda stuff.

£15 delivered from one of the dealerships - fine by me. Ordered some wet/dry paper too just to try and do a bit of a better job.

But do Skoda sell paint in little containers with all the stuff what chipex do or they just sell 2 bottles of srpay cans - paint and lacquer  :|

But do Skoda sell paint in little containers with all the stuff what chipex do or they just sell 2 bottles of srpay cans - paint and lacquer  :|

I mentioned price more for the OP - who had mentioned dealer pricing.

I'm sure we'd all pay more than the chippex price if it was as good as they say..... However, I've not found anything positive about them that wasn't posted by them. Not saying it's better or worse than anything else, more that it goes to show there is no easy fix - comes down to spending a little effort and time (along with being good at it or lucky I guess).

I mentioned price more for the OP - who had mentioned dealer pricing.

I'm sure we'd all pay more than the chippex price if it was as good as they say..... However, I've not found anything positive about them that wasn't posted by them. Not saying it's better or worse than anything else, more that it goes to show there is no easy fix - comes down to spending a little effort and time (along with being good at it or lucky I guess).

I find it really easy to use BUT I admit I haven`t got the result nowhere near as on their website pictures shows  :D  :dull:  But to get rid of the stone chips is good enough not to notice it as soon as you look at it

Were you not happy with the paint match? Or...?

I should have made it a little more clear i will pay the "dealer" prices if nothing else as good exists. I don't want a tatty job as it's right in my eye line. I'm just annoyed some twerp damaged my car.

It's really the first time i've needed to even consider doing such a thing.

As I said in another post. Genuine touch up pens are almost always a good colour match. Touch up the spots with a cocktail stick and build it up until it's proud then flat back with fine wet and dry and polish it up

Can anyone recommend some wet and dry? I've seen 2000 and 3000 and believe the larger the number, the finer the results. But is 2000 good enough? Any particular brand better than another?

No need to wet sand.

I've just done some stone chips on my Octy (using genuine Skoda paint).

Layered up using a cocktail stick and left to dry for 24 hours. I then took a credit card, micro fibre cloth and some 3M Finesse It polish and levelled the paint by wrapping the credit card in the cloth and polishing over the raised paint.

See here:- 

I just replaced the thinner with some decent polish and it worked a treat... no damage to the surrounding lacquer either!!!

That looks pretty effective. I still prefer a lolly stick and 2000-2500 grit which hardly touches the outer good clear coat and machines up with 3M extra fine, very gently flatting. I will have to take a few pictures next time I do a few chips. Not tried 3M finesse it but hear it's good for de-nibbing so probably perfect for the job as well

• 2 weeks later...

What colour? I've got a tub of Rally Green from when mine was in the body shop and asked them to keep me some to touch up a few stone chips.

Sorry i didn't see this at the time.

It's a metallic Grey.

As it happens i ended up using a company called carpaintwizard.

The colour match was perfect and, although i'm somewhat ham fisted, it did a lovely job.

Used it on a stone chip on the nose as well.

There are several paint shops on Ebay that offer colour match to paint code. I used one in Ireland for my last car and they were every bit as good as dealers colour match and cheaper. I would avoid Halfords as I found their colour match to be poor though there off the shelf stuff is better.

Which one in ireland do you use?