Superb Mk 3 Hatchback Sunroof

Hello, my first post!

Im about to order a new 220 Tsi hatch and wanted your opinions on the sunroof before I finalise the order. It appears the roof on the estate is proper panoramic whereas the one on the hatch is a more traditional (from the inside at least), porthole type. I really value glass roofs and the way they brighten up the cabin even on dark days. However this roof is not cheap and I wanted to know your experiences. Is it big? Does it let in lots of light, even to the rear? Pics would help as they are hard to come by, never mind demonstrators! I can't get a feel for its size.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks Auric, lots of images on Google but they are often promotional and external. Just wanted the owner's opinion on whether it sheds a lot of light into the cabin and makes it feel airy. Its just that #850 is a LOT of money if its small!

Different I know, the wife had a CitiGo with the Large Glass sunroof, (as in the picture ) and it was  the dogs danglies. The roof opens and slides on the outside so the cabin doesn't looked cramped with less headroom. It was Big on the Citigo but I assume the Sunroof on the Superb will also look big in preportion to the size of the roof.

I have an Octavia 230 Vrs on order and I have specced the sunroof. I intend to get the rest of the roof wrapped Gloss Black to compliment the Black glass

Hope that helps. 

• Like 2

It's a big old unit from the outside, it nearly extends to the shark fin aerial when open and exaggerates the lines of the car and makes it more like a coupe in my opinion. But from the inside to be honest I don't think it's much bigger than a standard opening sunroof, it seem out of proportion so I don't understand why they didn't make the opening bigger. It does the job though of brightening up the otherwise dull interior, headroom is good and when the weather is fine I have mine open a lot, the wind deflector does a nice job, it's not too noisy open. But when you have it fitted you lose the sunglasses holder must be to do with the switch and electrics.   

1344068d1424804439-2015-skoda-superb-off

• Like 1

Sorry Superbly, been away working so not caught up.

I love the Sunroof, makes the inside a lot lighter and is fun having it open on A roads. It looks smart from the outside to. If you can wait till the weekend i will do some inside shots. It seems quite wide to me but quite happy to do some photos if you still would like?

PRIMATIVEPETE- those pics give me a much better idea of size and proportion. Exactly what I needed. I believe the glass area is not as big as I would have liked i.e. like the estate's panoramic, however it is still quite a good size and will make the dark interior a brighter place. So, Monday morning, I will order the new Superb with the sunroof.

Many Thanks for helping me make such an important decision! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to get an idea of the size inside for you

Hey PRIMATIVEPETE, also appreciated the pictures.

Also I find myself in the dilemma of ordering or not the sunroof.

The question from my side is: does it makes noises when closed ? Due to the bumps in the road, does it produce squeeks or wines ? 

Thanks

There is zero increased noise or any noise coming from the top with the Sunroof.

If anybody is ordering the black interior, then I would highly recommend the sunroof as it adds considerable amount of light without being too bright.

Even with the roof lining closed it adds light as the lining is perforated with very small holes. The lining still lets through diffused light.

We are extremely happy that we added the sunroof, even if it never gets opened, as over here the summer isn't just hot, but the air temperature can be above 30C as well. So having it open would not in any way help to cool the interior.

And why would you with climate control?

Purely for increased interior ambient light, its been a worthwhile addition.

• Like 1

Thanks for your answers.

I too appreciate the idea of a more illuminated interior, but the only concerns I have are tweaks and wines coming from the sunroof when closed, on not perfect roads, due to torsion movements of the body of the car

"Chopping" a piece of the roof and inserting a glass covered in rubber - thus the sunroof, has a tendency to be source of running noises, due to the fact that the body of the car has torsion movements against the sunroof piece - hope I explained it properly.

This is what I observed with 2012 Tiguan, 2015 Octavia and 2013 Seat Leon. Especially on not perfect roads and in winter when all metal compresses.

This is the reason why I asked if in Superb is any different.

I can confirm mine has no squeaks, rattles, vibration etc you wouldn't know it was there. I've had mine since March this year and up to date through Summer months in Yorkshire it's been perfect on less than average quality roads my usual commute, In fact the whole car has been impressively squeak rattle free. Oh and the roof also fully closes with the key fob which is useful.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect the dead, and all that but... We're interested in a Superb L&K hatch, probably in Candy White... Now, we've just come round to the potential of a sunroof. Here's the question: Is there a black strip between the windscreen top and the sunroof on the UK spec models? The brochure seems to have one, but has the caveat (models may not be to UK specification) on nearly every page. The visualiser also seems to feature the strip, and we think it looks really smart. 

Sorry to resurrect the dead, and all that but... We're interested in a Superb L&K hatch, probably in Candy White... Now, we've just come round to the potential of a sunroof. Here's the question: Is there a black strip between the windscreen top and the sunroof on the UK spec models? The brochure seems to have one, but has the caveat (models may not be to UK specification) on nearly every page. The visualiser also seems to feature the strip, and we think it looks really smart. 

Yes, the front and sides of the roof around the sunroof are black, extending from the windscreen to the rear of the closed sunroof. From the sunroof to the rear hatch it is body colour, just like the photo in post #7 above.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I now have the car- which Im gradually getting to enjoy thoroughly- but would say that one criticism of the sunroof is this: its heavily tinted, so even on a bright day like yesterday, the cabin didn't benefit from as much light as I had hoped. Still, nice to have.

• 1 year later...

Skodas quality is as predictable as flipping a coin and making your choice.

My superb sunroof creaks and rattles all of the time. The dealer has had 2 attempts to fix and as yet has failed.  The roof itself rattles as does all the roof trim. 

Skoda offer impressive equipment if you pay for it. Unfortunately the equipment is either poorly engineered or poorly assembled at factory.

• Like 1

Interesting, my Octavia 3 VRS sunroof made noises on occasion, but my Superb sunroof has not made a peep, in the 2 months I have owned it. Even with the odd noises the Octy one made, I wouldn’t be without one.  

I had very few issues with my Octy from new, until stolen 4 years later, we shall see how the Superb fares!