Tyre and alloy insurance maybe mis-sold?

When purchasing my VRS about 18 months ago I was given the usual spiel about the producers that would help me have a trouble free life, included in this was tyre and alloy insurance. I thought it was a good buy, the alliance yes aren't overly cheap to repair and my partner won't stay away from the dreaded curbsides - seemed a no brainier for me at the time. So I shelled out the three hundred quid they wanted.

After all this time, it was me who curbed the wheel - quite badly at that. I was going round a corner I go round probably twice a day and someone who was parked started to reverse, realising I was committed towards the curb, hoping I'd miss it or at worse mount it slightly, but I didn't and scuffed the alloy awfully.

On looking at my policy I found that there was several exemptions listed, modifications etc, then it said diamond or laser cut alloys. Which i have.. So I rang the insurance firm and they said they wouldn't pay a penny out and it was nothing to do with them and to speak to the dealer who sold me the policy.

Safe to say I've had the run around from the dealer, they told me to put my concerns in writing, so I did. They then informed me that I needed to send a copy to the head office. Which I did. After a month of waiting I called the head office and they said the post had been sent to the wrong place. 3 days later I get an email from the manager of the branch saying he would like to discuss my concerns with me..

After ringing back he's now on holiday for at least two weeks.

I'm not sure what case I have. I believe I was miss sold the policy, they sold me a policy fir alloy insurance that didn't cover diamond cut alloys - which my car was supplied with?? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated..

Kip

• Sponsor

If this is an insurance product there are clear complaints procedures which must be adhered to. If they haven't resolved your complaint within 8 weeks of you originally contacting them, you can go straight to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

• Like 1

As the Seller / Vendor of the Policy they certainly have more time and opportunity to look at the details, T&C's and exemptions as they had them before you even were offered the Product. 

So yes you were mis-sold if they were aware your vehicles wheels could not be covered. 

You had the opportunity to read and consider and cancel.

They had the opportunity to not mis-sell. so best pursue them to make good their bad or the person sellings bad. 

• Like 1

Looks like that insurance for the rim should have not been sold to you,insurance for the tyre yes.

If you bought this insurance product in the showroom at the same time of buying the car the sales person (dealer) should have pointed out the exceptions/explain that your car has diamond cut alloys (not everyone will know what a diamond cut alloy is.hint)  and made it clear to you that only tyre cost will be recoverable (after admin and other costs deducted so you are still out of pocket)

I would write (now) to the named manager and or the salesman explain you were mis sold this product and ask for a full refund of the policy cost. Dont phone them write via signed for post royal mail.

• Like 1

Good luck.

first time i was offered tyre&alloy insurance i laughed out loud in the showroom.

the dealer said " i take it you decline the insurance"  :thumbup:

Edited by james0james
  • Like 2

• Sponsor

Thanks for that, they've certainly given me the run around. Would you say there is a case for complaint or could you not say?

Bottom line is they've sold you an insurance product you can never claim on, so I'd say so yes.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally received a reply from the people who sold me the insurance product. They've now offered to 'upgrade my cover free of charge so it will cover my car' effectively a new policy by the sounds of it.

Do I still have a case to say I would prefer a refund? As I was initially mis sold this policy and would rather not have the policy at all.

• Like 1

• Sponsor

You did buy the cover to protect your car so they are making it right by ensuring you can now claim if you need to. You can push for a refund (if you no longer want the cover - you no have confidence in the provider or the product) but if they've given you a Final Response type letter you can also go direct to FOS.

• Like 2

You did buy the cover to protect your car so they are making it right by ensuring you can now claim if you need to. You can push for a refund (if you no longer want the cover - you no have confidence in the provider or the product) but if they've given you a Final Response type letter you can also go direct to FOS.

By my reading, Kipper was (mis)sold the policy by the dealership who were acting as a brokerage, so surely it's the dealership rather than the under-writer who he has complaint with?

Thanks for the reply... I will reply with the saying that I have no confidence in the product after this instance and would prefer a full refund.... I will get back to you on the replies..

Result and well done.

Where you say prefer a full refund,change that to you insist on a full refund.

Tyres are not to expensive and plenty of places to buy wheels or get wheel refurb.cheaper than what a dealer will ask for.

Good luck.

Edited by james0james
  • Like 1

Thanks James0james,

I did change it actually after putting it on here, he's not emailed back yet but I'll certainly let you know what happens when he does. I'm standing my ground though, the policy isn't fit for purpose. And I want my money back...

• 1 month later...

Got a bit of news on the policy front, after much debating the dealership have finally decided it's time to give me my money back!

Proper result in my eyes, the stupid thing is if they'd have sold me the right policy this would have never come around. I think this is a lesson, always stand your ground - as I did, I didn't give em' an inch.

• Like 1