Suspension problem

Hello I'm new here.

I've had my Skoda 2015/16 shape for awhile and the suspension is back braking. I've only 20k in the car and it's been like from new. Is this normal.

Not sure what 'back braking' is, but surely if you have a problem with a new car your first port of call is the dealer you bought it from?

Not sure what 'back braking' is, but surely if you have a problem with a new car your first port of call is the dealer you bought it from?

It took me a second, too, but I assume he meant back-breaking - i.e. a jarring harsh ride. OP check with the dealership, it sounds quite possible they've forgotten to take out the transport blocks from the suspension when they PDI'd the car. Get it checked! It happens more often than you might imagine, though why you waited 20k to ask is mystifying (albeit a little bit funny, sorry!). The Superb should be a very comfy ride, anything else is broken (or transport blocks).

BTW, welcome to the forum!  :beer:

Edited by Rainmaker

BTW I had a quick search on here but couldn't find any pictures. Here is a post from a Golf forum showing the blocks in-situ. They are hidden from view, the car has to be jacked up and the rubber covers lifted back to spot them, and they don't alter the ride height so they're easy to miss unless you're actually looking for them. You know, like the 'tech' at Skoda is supposed to be during PDI.  :notme:  There are a lot of users on here who've had the same issue (blocks left in, and a resultant hard ride) but they're removable in a couple of minutes if you book back in with the dealership. Make sure you give them a stern word, too. Techs might be on the clock but to miss something like this is silly, especially when you've endured it for 20k! Don't forget to make sure that this really is the problem before you give them both barrels though! :D

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Like 1

If anything.. the ride is too soft.

What wheelsize do you have?

I'm on 18 inches (standard), I can feel even the tinyest little bump/whatever on the road.

The democar i had before i ordered mine was not like this.

L&K, combi.

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk

What wheelsize do you have?

I'm on 18 inches (standard), I can feel even the tinyest little bump/whatever on the road.

The democar i had before i ordered mine was not like this.

L&K, combi.

Do you have the DCC on your L&K?

Even on 19’s most of the time mine is set to sport, if I set it to comfort then it’s like being on a boat!

Do you have the DCC on your L&K?

Even on 19’s most of the time mine is set to sport, if I set it to comfort then it’s like being on a boat!

Ah yes forgot to mention... i have DCC.

Driving in normal or comfort, that's the least annoying modes. Not even close to good, but better. Sport!? Impossible for me...

• 2 weeks later...

The OP may not have an update - but I would like to say thank you to Rainmaker.  I have just had the shipping blocks removed from my Superb!

Since new, the suspension had been fine in normal driving, but turned to pretty brutal if you went over the 'wrong' kind of pothole, or ridge in the road. 

Before popping into the dealer to get them to take a look it was difficult to find a road to demonstrate the issue, it was the kind of thing that sort of took you by surprise.

Anyway, thanks very much to Wings of Peterborough who located the offending blocks with a quick hand up the wheel arch and then removed them.  (The car was not supplied by Wings in the first place so it wasn't their fault)

Got to say that the car now deals with dodgy roads a lot better - I suppose that's what suspension is supposed to do!

• Like 4

Glad to hear you're sorted now. Hope you get right on to the supplying dealer over that! Its worrying that they didn't check that and although it was probably only noticeable over rough roads, the blocks had the potential to seriously destabilise the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The OP may not have an update - but I would like to say thank you to Rainmaker. I have just had the shipping blocks removed from my Superb!

Since new, the suspension had been fine in normal driving, but turned to pretty brutal if you went over the 'wrong' kind of pothole, or ridge in the road.

Before popping into the dealer to get them to take a look it was difficult to find a road to demonstrate the issue, it was the kind of thing that sort of took you by surprise.

Anyway, thanks very much to Wings of Peterborough who located the offending blocks with a quick hand up the wheel arch and then removed them. (The car was not supplied by Wings in the first place so it wasn't their fault)

Got to say that the car now deals with dodgy roads a lot better - I suppose that's what suspension is supposed to do!

Good to hear!

Sadly the blocks was not present on my car. I have no clue what could be the cause then.. :(

I would be interested to know what issue the OP is having. I too have a rather uncomfortable ride and poor mpg (still) so I'll be calling the dealer to get both checked out.

Hoping it is a block! 

Ah yes forgot to mention... i have DCC.

Driving in normal or comfort, that's the least annoying modes. Not even close to good, but better. Sport!? Impossible for me...

Skickat fr?n min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk

I have same trim !

The ride is really too soft especially on comfort. Even in sport you feel the road details but not as you mention it might be the throttle and engine vibrations at high rpm could easily be mistaken for road consistent roughness.

I drove many cars with same trim level or lower, still same result it is soft and comfy even without DCC still balanced and soft enogh to be great and comfortable cruiser.

Maybe somthing wrong you have to check with the service guys.

I have had the dealer put the car up on a hoist so that I could check for damage and that the shipping blocks were removed.

Dealer was excellent about that.

Ours rides excellent in DCC normal mode, no complains from us.

• 1 year later...

I am on my second Superb which has developed a suspension know last one was a 10 plate executive and it started a rattle at 148,000 miles but I couldn't find out from where sounded like coming from rear. I exchanged  for a 14 plate LK which also developed a rattle which again felt like it was coming from rear but after much head scratching it was found the the front drop links were worn and rattle was travelling back so after renewing these noise has gone