Fabia life

My wife has a 1.4tdi fabia estate with 120K which is used for business. It has a very hard life but is regularly serviced and had the timing belt replaced twice. It has never put a foot wrong and we are reluctant to replace it but am worried about reliability. As it's worth so little now we're tempted to run it for longer and enjoy some very cheap motoring but don't want the hassle of a catastrophic failure. I'd be interested in any advice

my W reg (2000) Octavia I sold in 2007 after running it for 7 years with 236,000 miles on it, 1.9TDi PD engine

regular servicing they go for miles

If it has been reliable and you want the benefit of low cost motoring then keep it. If you are worried about the remote possible failure then make sure you have a good break down cover for your purpose. A well maintained modern engine should run for 100k's miles.

• Like 1

If it has been reliable and you want the benefit of low cost motoring then keep it. If you are worried about the remote possible failure then make sure you have a good break down cover for your purpose. A well maintained modern engine should run for 100k's miles.

Agree with above

my W reg (2000) Octavia I sold in 2007 after running it for 7 years with 236,000 miles on it, 1.9TDi PD engine

regular servicing they go for miles

Whilst I agree they are awesome cars a W reg Octavia wouldn't have been a PD.

Whilst I agree they are awesome cars a W reg Octavia wouldn't have been a PD.

your right our fabia mkI VRs (swmbo's car 95,000 in 10 years) and my 07 roomster TDi (which covered 165,000 mils in 5 years) that replaced the Octavia were PD lumps , if my memory is correct the Octavia was a bosch rotary injection pump

VAG diesels just keep going if serviced regulerly

If all is well and she is happy other than the background of a terminal / uneconomic failure the logical option is to keep running until major work is the required. If you put in for the next MOT a month ahead if anything is picked up, unless a ' red card ' and realistically you would be aware of such a major fault, you have a month to find the next car.

The key is should the worst happen how would you adjust short term?

How far from home does your wife travel?

Do you have any breakdown cover to get the car at least to the nearest garage if not both the car and her home, even if you then just told them to get it scrapped? If not something to consider for peace of mind as cheap compared to the cost of swapping now.

Could you manage for a couple of weeks until you sourced another car, borrow from within the family or would you have to hire?