Coilovers

I know it's been covered a lot, but, opinions please?

What Coilovers?

FK's?

JOMS?

Around the £200 mark on eBay

What drop links will fit?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have ap coilovers, which are very good. They cost about £340. I got them Awesome GTI who had discount at the time. They also do finance on anything above £300.

I don't know if it is a longtime quality or a less bumpy ride, but KW and H&R is really, really pricy. Koni and Bilstein could be nice, but they are not height adjustable. Stuff like Reiger, Proflex and Öhlins are hugely expensive. Best in 900 pound class is hard to tell...

Ask yourself this first - what roads are you likely to be driving on? If it's motorway, good A roads, or track time, then go with the coil overs. If it's mainly going to be B road or rough roads, then go with either standard dampers from TPS (£37 each plus vat for the fronts, or a decent spring and damper setup. Coil overs can be hard and crashy over certain surfaces. I looked at the m for mine, read up on them, read reviews, and decided for the money I would keep it standard, as the roads round here are third world spec.

Kind of strange actually that all cool overs are synonym these days for extreme low and smooth surfaces only. Too bad, as in Rallycross for example coil overs are being used for mixed surfaces. And with tricky and clever (non electronics stuff) such as a level that tells the outer and loaded damper to stiffen up, they have loads of suspension travel, smooth ride but still go near flat through the corner!

Edited by dcstuurman

I've got pro sports.

The ride height is really low and yes it is quite harsh on uneven / pot hole surfaces, which describes just about every road around where I live!

I think most coilovers are harsh when set really low anyway so it makes no differance which brand you buy unless you want to pay a fortune for H+R ultralows or KW's.

On the plus side the car looks cool and handles like a go cart!

In theory unless lowered to the point of it being on the bump stops it shouldn't matter what height the springs are adjusted to. The Spring rate doesn't change and neither does the damper.

Damper travel does though....

Trust me it was a lot less crashy when it was wound up higher.

Damper travel does though....

Trust me it was a lot less crashy when it was wound up higher.

Damper travel does yes, hence the comment about the bump stops. The damping rate shouldn't change unless it's come to the end of its travel or got to the stop.