Facelift Yeti Rear Bumper Protector

Falmouthboy

Bear in mind the Outdoor FL variant on Superskoda is described as being 'ABS plastic', NOT aluminium. 

The Skoda Yeti accessories brochure confirms this is plastic  :dull: and appears to be the only option for the FL Yeti in outdoor flavour, unless some aftermarket strips are developed. Yes, you can get the stick on bumper foil (5L6 071 363A) but I have found them to be generally poor.

There is also a 'protective cover for loading edge' (KDX 630 001) that might be of interest.

http://www.skoda.lv/files/accessories/yeti.pdf

I got a black plastic ( it matches the rest of the black bits) bumper protector from the dealer for £66 fitted i think. Will try and take a picture later.

Sorry Simon all we get is this.

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

As it's Friday......... 

What's the purpose of a stick-on rear bumper cover?  To prevent the bumper from being scratched....which is a visual blemish?  So the stick-on thingie gets scratched instead.  

:wonder:

Discuss. 

Anyone in Bob's Corner? 

• Like 1

As it's Friday......... 

What's the purpose of a stick-on rear bumper cover?  To prevent the bumper from being scratched....which is a visual blemish?  So the stick-on thingie gets scratched instead.  

Discuss. 

Anyone in Bob's Corner?

A bit of plastic is far less prone to damage than polished paint. Particularly if you've got a dog jumping in the back or are sitting on the bumper to put your boots on. But each to their own and if you either aren't bothered about the rear bumper getting scratched, or don't do anything likely to cause damage save your money.

• Like 1

I have a SuperSkoda 1 fitted to a preFL Yeti & it's great as it curves over the rear bumper edge to protect the lip as well as the top surface. The standard Skoda 1 doesn't do that so the edge is still vulnerable. It's been fitted for 3 years now, 'glued' on with black RTV. A word of caution though, a work colleague fitted 1 to a facelift Yeti & because the rear bumper top surface profile is virtually flat (unlike mine) it's not quite so obvious where to fit the bumper protector, he went slightly too far forward & has taken the paint off the lower edge of the hatch!

As it's Friday......... 

Discuss. 

Bumper protector gets scratched, apply a bit of heat, remove bumper protector, paint underneath is perfect.

Buy new bumper protector, cost = about £40.

Bumper itself gets scratched - full respray required, cost = about £400.

Hopefully that clears up that confusion?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This may be too late as you may have purchased one already, if not please refer to my post (yesterday) under the Forum heading "Door Sill Protectors" as this topic is also covering rear bumper protectors. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Looking at the Skoda Yeti Configurator images it seems that the new models have a silver bumper protector on top of the rear bumper. Now the configurator images are not known for 100% accuracy so does anyone know if the new models come with a  rear bumper protector or not?

Looking at the Skoda Yeti Configurator images it seems that the new models have a silver bumper protector on top of the rear bumper. Now the configurator images are not known for 100% accuracy so does anyone know if the new models come with a  rear bumper protector or not?

• 1 year later...

Hi

I recently fitted these bumper guards and they are a good fit, with a small lip on them coming down to protect the bumper.

They also fit in under the rubber seals.

Slightly tricky to fit as the sticky snagged the rubber on the way in but I then did it such that tape was left on and once the protector was in place removed each section at a time and then stuck down - just my experience.

It came from here yeti protector

Be aware more than 1 type for the yeti

Sadly though this recent addition my well be the last as I will be selling the car shortly :crying:, however, it has been replaced by a fabia so staying in the Skoda family

rear bumper protector 1.jpg

rear bumper protector 2.jpg

I bought one of those for my new Yeti (I think the brand is Rearguard).  It is undoubtedly well made, but I wasn't too pleased with the design.  It seems rather too "intimate" with the car, especially the raised inner edge which is, as you say, intended to fit under the tailgate seal.  As your photo shows, it's not actually a particularly close fit on the tailgate opening - there are patches of body colour visible between the protector and the rubber seal.  I'm not sure what the point is of trying to make it such a cosy fit: all I wanted was something to protect the exposed top edge of the painted rear bumper.

Like you, I found the actual fitting tricky, precisely because of trying to manoeuvre a 1m length of ABS plastic with super-tacky 3M tape on the 'blind' side under the rubber seal.  Worse, in my case, was that in attempting to remove the protector in order to re-position it for a better fit, I managed to tear it.  So that was £44 down the drain, due in no small part IMO to the necessarily 'clever' design.

I have since bought and successfully fitted one of these - a different, less complicated design of protector which avoids the fiddly fitting problem by not trying to get unnecessarily up close and personal with the car and yet - as far as I can see - still manages to protect the same area of vulnerable paintwork.  And it was £5 cheaper.

27240587477_025bf3195a_c.jpg

(Sorry, not the best photo!)

Yes, flat edge, no raised lip that you have to shoogle under the seal whilst trying to stop the aggressively sticky 3M tape from grabbing on to the paintwork - and making sure that the downward lip over the outer edge of the bumper is a snug fit.  Just unnecessarily complicated IMO.

• 6 months later...

Thread resurrection here. Looking at getting a Rearguard protector. How have those of you who fitted these a couple of years ago found they have stood up to use? I had an aluminium one (not sure of brand) on a previous car and after a while the adhesive at one end gave way allowing rain and grit to get under it. Attempts to insert more tape underneath were unsuccessful and I never managed to resolve the problem. Are the Rearguard ones reliable?

We have had a stainless steel Rearguards bumper protector (http://www.rearguards.co.uk/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=SRBP722&sid=1j29au6a48h3w140n85q7205c93li5a9) on our Yeti Outdoor since delivery, no problems with it lifting etc, but I would recommend removing the boot seal to make fitting easier as the 3M tape is a one shot application, no repositioning and the guard is difficult to place correctly when the seal is in place. The hatch seal is easy to remove and replace after the protector is in place.

Hope it helps.

Edited by TruckbusUK
clarification

I've had a black plastic Rearguard fitted for three and a half years..... still firmly attached  (though I was scrupulous with the preparation when installing it). It has not marked despite having loads of shopping rested on it every week,  so I can vouch for its resilience and suitability for the job.  The only downside,  which for me is actually an advantage as I will explain,  is that it has faded to grey as most black plastic trim does over time..... no doubt the occasional dab of "Back to Black" or similar would restore it to a pristine look.  However,  in my case,  it  goes very well with the Cappuccino paintwork in its faded state,  so I just leave it as it is.

1 hour ago, TruckbusUK said:

I would recommend removing the boot seal to make fitting easier as the 3M tape is a one shot application, no repositioning and the guard is difficult to place correctly when the seal is in place. The hatch seal is easy to remove and replace after the protector is in place.

Wish I'd known that when I tried to fit my Rearguard protector.  As noted in my post of 14 May I made a hash of it, then managed to tear it (which doesn't seem to say a lot for it's robustness) while trying to remove it to re-position it, and the thing ended up in the bin.  IMO the Rearguard one is more complicated than it needs to be - at least the black plastic one is, don't know about the other versions.  It's not clear to me why it needs to go so far under the tailgate seal - I reckon the seal itself provides enough scuff protection for that area.  I think the design is more complex than necessary, for no real benefit, especially when it makes it much easier to stuff up the job of fitting it.  (The instructions said nothing about removing the tailgate seal.)

I bought one of these instead and fitted it with no problems (and without needing to remove the tailgate seal).  I did, however, have to add some short strips of 3M VHB tape (easy to buy in small quantities and various thicknesses online eg through a "well known auction site") to secure some of the edges that didn't have tape under them as supplied, and which tended to lift just a tad so as to rub against the edge of the tailgate as it closed.  Once restrained with the extra tape, no further issues.  As far as I'm concerned it protects all of the obviously vulnerable areas of the lip and top surface of the bumper.