Sounds (Engine, suspension)

Hi there!

I have a 1.4 TSI Skoda Superb (8000km) on the clock. 1.4 TSI ACT, 7 DSG.

ENGINE:

The thing is I am starting to hear funny noises from the engine.

The first noise that spooked me was the opening sound when the engine starts, it kinda does like swoosh sound. Upon research I found out that this is normal.

There are two more sounds that I dont understand yet.

1) When I start the car with a cold engine and start driving in the first 100 - 200m upon accelerating to low-speeds (30-40) there comes a whistling sound from the engine. I need to have all the stuff turned down (music, climate control and so on) to hear that. Never payed attention to it before. Is this normal?

2) When the engine is warm and I park the car (meaning from drive function "D" to park function "P") then the engine sound becomes different. At first there was no difference the engine sounded the same as it did when in drive mode "D". I had a big roadtrip when I drove 400km , upon arriving switched to "P" and then discovered that engine started doing a  different sound. All in all it does not sound , like something is wrong but still, I want to understand why the engine acts like that.

SUSPENSION:

1) I´ve pretty much driven stiff cars through out my life , but the new Superb must be the stiffest I have ever had. I mean I can literally feel and hear every bump that there is in the road. If I drive to a smaller not-healthy round and even when I go through the smaller holes in low speeds (i.e 5-15km/h) then the car feels like riding a bull on open landscape. What are your expirience´s with that?

I would really appreciate it when someone could explain to me the engine sounds and what they mean. It is really really hard to communicate with the dealership in my country. Meaning, if I do not have a video that proves it all they do not even have the time to test-drive the car and try it out. And most of these things are pretty hard to record, cause I do not have an understanding when and how these sounds come.

Thanks in advance!

Indrek.

Engine:-

1) That sounds like turbo whistle, and is pretty normal.

2) When you go from D to P you're taking a load off the engine, and if it doesn't have a very good idle stabilisation the engine idle speed will rise when this happens.

Thank for the reply Ken.

Point 2. I understand the logic. But the thing that makes it hard to understand is that it should be the opposite way around? 
Meaning that if you go from D to P the engine should be more quiet , in idle mode. For my car its the opposite way, meaning that when the engine is in D mode the engine is really smooth and quiet.

When I go to P mode then the engine sound becomes more loud. But , it may very actually be the idle stabilization that you told. 

Hi there!

SUSPENSION:

1) I´ve pretty much driven stiff cars through out my life , but the new Superb must be the stiffest I have ever had. I mean I can literally feel and hear every bump that there is in the road. If I drive to a smaller not-healthy round and even when I go through the smaller holes in low speeds (i.e 5-15km/h) then the car feels like riding a bull on open landscape. What are your expirience´s with that?

Thanks in advance!

Indrek.

It sounds like you are yet another person whose dealer has left in the suspension transport blocks. They should be removed during the PDI, but far too many people are finding the ride very stiff and noisy because the dealer 'forgot' to take them out. Book in with the dealer and make them check for transport blocks.

Hi there,

I have a Skoda Octavia Automatic that I am very fond of. It is not a young car and I suppose it will have an odd rattle or two.

I have checked the Bushes in the front and I have had new Suspensions fitted on the front and also new wishbone rubbers fitted not too long ago. I also had a pair of drop links fitted and as far as I can remember the only thing not replaced is the Anti Roll Bar Bushes, they seem very sound ??.

The roller bar bushes seem to be very tight with no movement, so why am I still getting noise coming from the front of the car that seems like a rattle and it has no affect on the steering, it is very tight and like the car is on tracks going around a corner it stays on course and no movement felt at the steering wheel.  I am very baffled by this noise and would like to hear if anybody else has a similar problem and how it was cured, please.