Which wheels & which size to choose?

Hi All,

Just ordering a SEL Exec Estate in Brilliant silver, standard wheels are 18" Zenith, these can be swapped FOC for 18" Pegasus or 18" Modus, or the configurator has 19" Phoenix or 19" Sirius for £650.

Would be grateful for opinions - do the 19" wheels affect comfort? (I am not having DCC option).

Also, are any of these wheels coated/painted - I have diamond cut/part black painted wheels on my current Honda and after 3 years they need refurbishing so want to avoid this.

My current thinking is the 18" Modus.

Thanks

Hi Speedman.

This is only my experience....so here goes.

I ordered a Superb SEL Exec and originally specified Pegasus wheels, as these looked very similar to the wheels on the VW CC (Which I really liked).

However, my salesman did mention a few things to consider.

He had spent many days in his dealership looking at a Superb with Pegasus alloys and his comment was that the sweeping curves of the Pegasus wheels did not complement the angular lines of the Superb.

I went back to the configurator, and chose Zenith wheels again, and have to admit, he was right! The Zenith did match the angular lines of the Superb. This is what I ordered and have to say I don't regret it at all. I know you mentioned 18" Modus, but the same kind of principle applies.

He also mentioned that the Pegasus wheels are prone to stone chips. I don't know if the same applies to Modus.

All I would say is have a look at the car, then look at the wheels. Ask yourself if they are matched to the style of the car, if you know what I mean.

Everybody will have an opinion, and no-one will be right or wrong; it's all very much down to personal taste at the end of the day.

You have to go with what you feel is right at the end of the day. I don't regret having Zenith wheels, but I am sure many others will hate them.....

• Like 1

All of the wheels have a clear lacquer on them, obviously the diamond cut ones have nothing under the lacquer on the shiny bits, so these areas are more vulnerable to the dreaded whiteworm... caused when water gets under the lacquer, usually from a stone chip.

As for which looks the best, well we all have our own opinion, personally the only wheel (available on the L&K) that I liked was the optional (@ £650) 19” Phoenix Anthracite, the Modus are the best (IMO) available in 18”.

The Pegasus wheels just do not do it for me... but I loved them when they 1st came out on the Scirocco!

I was dead set on getting Pegasus for my SEL EXEC (which I think has now been ordered by our finance people, but who knows!) and after hours looking at various options I went with the 18" modus.

They seemed to suit the car perfectly.

Hopefully they'll look right when it arrives!

Thought about this for ages before ordering (waiting for my SEL in Business Grey due end of October).

My local dealer had a demo with Pegasus fitted and I must admit they look better on the website than in real life. Eventually I plumped for Modus rather than the Zentih's - not much in it really both look good.

Could have paid for 19 inchers but thought better of it and ordered the foldable towbar instead (kids, dogs, bike and camping got the nod above shiny wheels!).

Hi All,

Just ordering a SEL Exec Estate in Brilliant silver, standard wheels are 18" Zenith, these can be swapped FOC for 18" Pegasus or 18" Modus, or the configurator has 19" Phoenix or 19" Sirius for £650.

Would be grateful for opinions - do the 19" wheels affect comfort? (I am not having DCC option).

Also, are any of these wheels coated/painted - I have diamond cut/part black painted wheels on my current Honda and after 3 years they need refurbishing so want to avoid this.

My current thinking is the 18" Modus.

Thanks

I have Modus. I like 'em. Some pics in the picture thread if you have a look.

Here you go ... Post 445

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/367311-the-superb-iii-picture-thread/page-15

Edited by Nick_H

I wanted Pegasus when I was ordering, but SWMBO told me to spec the 19" Phoenix as they really finished the car off, like a good suit needs good shoes.

To be fair to her, it really looks good on the 19"s. I'm now coming up on 4000 miles and still have my reservations about the ride caused by the bigger wheels.

I think the 18" alloys would have been better, maybe next time I'll get my way!

Edited by blahde2

I actually downgraded my SEL Exec order from the std 18" wheels to 17". Reasons why included:

1. Probably a smoother & quieter ride.

2. Slightly higher mpg & lower emissions.

3. The 17" tyres are significantly cheaper to replace than the 18" ones.

4. The dealer offered to take £500 off the purchase price when I said I wanted to do that.

5. My current BMW 318d estate has 17" wheels and looks fine, and I think the Superb will look ok too. 

I'm not really a fan of the bigger-is-better mantra for car tyres anyway. 

Hi there,

Saw your post...I generally like bigger wheels for the look, although they have to suit the design of the car...sometimes smaller wheels work better visually.  Plus, bigger wheels will nearly always lead to an increase in road noise and a reduction in secondary ride comfort.  Bigger wheels generally mean more expensive tyres too.   I've stayed with the standard Zenith alloys.

Here's an extract from my recent post about ordering a 280 Superb:

"I also thought about the Sirius 19" alloys, but, as good as they look, I couldn't justify the extra cash.   Also, having been lucky to have had a 5 day test drive of four Superb estates (3 x  280s and 1 x 190TDi 4x4) of differing specifications, I found a noticeable increase in road noise with the 280 that was riding on 19" wheels.  I thought the ride on 19s was a tad more fidgety in Normal DCC mode too."

Personally, I would spend my cash on DCC.   The two Superbs I tried on standard springs were OK in a straight line but wallowed like drunken cows in corners (the long wheelbase doesn't help).

I'm maybe being harsh, as I currently drive a Focus ST, but a Superb on standard springs seriously lacks cohesive body control compared to its rivals e.g. a standard Mondeo - a car that  handles better yet rides just as well on standard wheels compared to a standard Superb).   On the other hand, the DCC spec'd Superbs I drove were far more capable in the corners and have an overall edge over a standard Mondeo.

Dan.

Edited by dmc77