Creaking under bonnet

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it.

I have had a creak that sounds from the inside like it is right behind the dash which has been driving me nuts. I now think I have found the culprit. There is a piece of black metal that the plastic trim below the wiper blades rests on. When you press on this metal it creates the same creak.

I just have no idea how to correct the problem.

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers

You could remove the scuttle panel and go for a drive and see if the noise disappears but they are very easy to break. When mine went in for some warranty work they ordered a new one in just in case and they did end up using it in the end. 

The usual way to deal with creaks is first check whether the fasteners holding the creaking part in place are loose and see if tightening them removes the creak. If it's all tight then try loosening it and tightening it in a slightly different position so the overlap between the creaking surfaces is changed. If that doesn't work putting foam or some other sort of packing under the part or between the creaking surfaces to stop it from moving can also silence the creak. Using something like silicone grease or car interior polish can also work by lubricating the creaking surfaces.