Bye Bye VRS

Nice one - be interested to hear what you think of the 220 after you've had the chance to put it through its paces - now pretty rapid out the stalls following the upgrade from 200 to 220.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the new car a little over a week.

First impressions - it's a great car.

Engine is great, lots of grunt and goes a lot better than the VRS did, even with the tuning box on it. Power delivery is very linear, doesn't kick you the ass but the numbers rack up pretty damn quickly.

Chasis is incredible, very flat in the twisty stuff, it's running on pilot supersports as standard and the two combined means the car doesn't even move an inch in the twisty stuff. But at the same time it's a hell of a lot more comfortable than the VRS was with it's lowering springs. The dampening is just top notch.

Gearbox - this was my initial worry given slate reviews of the original 200 edc. But to be honest, I have no issues with the revised box in the 220 trophy. In auto mode it's fine, little bit dim witted at times compared to the DSG box, but it's fine in general. In race mode the gearbox is great. A hell of a lot faster that the DSG is and very smooth.

Sounds great - has a nice exhaust note and pops on full throttle shifts every time.

In general, I can't fault it. I loved my VRS but this is a much more engaging/ fun hot hatch to me, you can throw it down a backroad with some serious speed (not that I advocate it!).

It's already booked in for some development work with a tuning company that I know. I'm going the box route to start off with and keep the warranty as in tact as I can, they are estimating somewhere between 250-260bhp once they have finished. So means I should have Megane RS output, in a smaller/ lighter car.

• Like 2