Second hand PID, will it work?

Jiffy176

Hi folks, first of all Hi to the Citigo section of the forum.

I've just ordered a Greenline SE but do fancy the Bluetooth functions of the Garmin PID, I already have a full euro satnav with lifetime updates so a nav is not important.

Anyway back to the question. Will a second hand PID work with my new car? I've searched but couldn't find anything conclusive?

Anyone done it.

Thanks.

Steve.

Hi folks, first of all Hi to the Citigo section of the forum.

I've just ordered a Greenline SE but do fancy the Bluetooth functions of the Garmin PID, I already have a full euro satnav with lifetime updates so a nav is not important.

Anyway back to the question. Will a second hand PID work with my new car? I've searched but couldn't find anything conclusive?

Anyone done it.

Thanks.

Steve.

Yes it will, reset it and when you plug it in, it'll code itself to your ECU/BCM

Edit - If you find it isn't working very well, which seems to a problem with some where as after a year they stop working well, a quick battery change will make it like new again

Edited by Hyphons

Yes it will, reset it and when you plug it in, it'll code itself to your ECU/BCM

Edit - If you find it isn't working very well, which seems to a problem with some where as after a year they stop working well, a quick battery change will make it like new again

Thank you, is that straight forward, settings then reset device?

Thanks b

Thank you, is that straight forward, settings then reset device?

Use the Fresh software from the Garmin website to reset it to the factory default, the only downside is you may end up with the old maps but if you aren't too worried about the navigation side of it that shouldn't matter.

Use the Fresh software from the Garmin website to reset it to the factory default, the only downside is you may end up with the old maps but if you aren't too worried about the navigation side of it that shouldn't matter.

Great thank you.

Anyone done it.

A 2nd hand PID will work, neither of the two PIDs that I have had were brand new nor were they not originally supplied with my car.

But ... if you have a new Citigo on order is there a chance that it will be a 2017/facelift model with the mobile phone holder instead of a PID facility?

Edited by ronime
  • Like 1

A 2nd hand PID will work, neither of the two PIDs that I have had were brand new nor were they not originally supplied with my car.

But ... if you have a new Citigo on order is there a chance that it will be a 2017/facelift model with the mobile phone holder instead of a PID facility?

Thanks Ronime.

The car is current stock, the decision to buy was a bit last minute.com as I need a car before the mot expires on current car. In the spec we wanted anything other than the car they had was a factory order and we would have missed the 0% and £500 fuel card, which made it affordable, we were also given a very good part ex and the car was discounted. I think I got a good deal.

I've managed to get hold of a pid. I've downloaded fresh, when I connect up for the first time do I need to back it up to save the maps and then do the factory reset or do I just do the factory reset and the system saves what data it needs?

Thank you.

Steve.

• 7 years later...

Careful with second hand. It may have a security code. Mine has, and it won't open, just the four boxes for the code. You won't get the code from Garmin, they are as much use as a one legged man at an arse kicking contest.  "Sorry sir, that unit is no longer supported so we can't help you, try Skoda"