The Olympics have ended...

Paul007

Exactly. Really not sure how people can have a downer on it

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to put a downer on what is,  without a doubt,  a great sporting achievement.

We can't, or shouldn't,  just ignore everything else though.

Just a sample. Rio got a new golf course, despite not needing it. Refurbishing the existing one would cost about USD 25 million, instead they decided to build a new one, on protected land. funny enough, the builder also secured permission to build luxury accommodation on the course, with a potential return of USD 800 million.

By all means lets celebrate our athletes achievements but we can also ask for transparency and responsibility. 

Nope - we don't watch soaps, reality TV or any of that kind of mindless drivel

I do, Interfered with Corrie, Emerdale and Eastenders, how inconsiderate of the BBC.

Now then where's the remote....................................................and each medal cost the Tax Payer around £4 Million.

I don't dislike the Olympics but when Millions are in Poverty and a Country spends Trillions to Host the Games, somethings not right.

and No, the poverty stricken population wont benefit from the millions of pounds it brings into the economy

Olympics/Athletics might be/is as corrupt as FIFA

**  Other Pastimes are Available  ** 

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to put a downer on what is,  without a doubt,  a great sporting achievement.

We can't, or shouldn't,  just ignore everything else though.

Just a sample. Rio got a new golf course, despite not needing it. Refurbishing the existing one would cost about USD 25 million, instead they decided to build a new one, on protected land. funny enough, the builder also secured permission to build luxury accommodation on the course, with a potential return of USD 800 million.

By all means lets celebrate our athletes achievements but we can also ask for transparency and responsibility.

What I said wasn't aimed at your comments, I also heard some pretty shocking stuff from a sports journo on radio 2 blabbering something about it being a waste of time if one of our athletes isn't going to get gold and it's all a big waste of time and money.

Anyway, I do completely agree with you, as with this Olympics and any other (perhaps more so with this one) there are some questionable practices around spatial organisation and allocation if funds that go on.

In London for instance people were told to move their barges up river for the duration and traffic and road planners organised things so visitors wouldn't have to 'see' the more deprived areas. And of course in Brazil thousands of seats were empty because most of the population can't afford tickets and there are hundreds of thousands living in favellas and abject poverty. And yes that makes me pretty sad and depressed, and there has to be more honesty. Why couldn't they give 10,000 tickets to favella people?

• Like 1

In London for instance people were told to move their barges up river for the duration and traffic and road planners organised things so visitors wouldn't have to 'see' the more deprived areas. And yes that makes me pretty sad And of course in Brazil thousands of seats were empty because most of the population can't afford tickets and there are hundreds of thousands living in favellas and abject poverty and depressed, and there has to be more honesty. Why couldn't they give 10,000 tickets to favella people?

I don't dislike the Olympics but when Millions are in Poverty and a Country spends Trillions to Host the Games, somethings not right.

and No, the poverty stricken population wont benefit from the millions of pounds it brings into the economy

Olympics/Athletics might be/is as corrupt as FIFA

**  Other Pastimes are Available  ** 

My thought exactly

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

Agreed, Was it Lottery funding ? Think it was, so it's the man in the street buying the lottery that paid for the Olympics

For the funding to get the medals yes, and I expect some did go towards development of the Olympic Park (London) as well (although that is a bit of a guess), and why shouldn't it come from lottery money? Can't use it for health, education, security or defence so it makes perfect sense. The only sensible thing John Major did was to allow the release of these funds for community and sports projects. Finally Britain is doing something they can be proud of, this is surely a much better situation than we've been in historically, yet people still moan about it. I think it's money well spent if it inspires kids, breeds more success and aspiration, teaches humility whilst being fiercely competitive and gets people off their arses. Edited by YellowCar

For the funding to get the medals yes, and I expect some did go towards development of the Olympic Park (London) as well (although that is a bit of a guess), and why shouldn't it come from lottery money? Can't use it for health, education, security or defence so it makes perfect sense. The only sensible thing John Major did was to allow the release of these funds for community and sports projects. Finally Britain is doing something they can be proud of, this is surely a much better situation than we've been in historically, yet people still moan about it. I think it's money well spent if it inspires kids, breeds more success and aspiration, teaches humility whilst being fiercely competitive and gets people off their arses.

........and Stops Coruption in the hierarchy of the Sports, not just the Olympics but Every Sport...............

........and Stops Coruption in the hierarchy of the Sports, not just the Olympics but Every Sport...............

I'll drink to that, things are moving in the right direction but still a loooonnng ways to go.

• Like 1

While we're here, did anyone else enjoy the dressage? I know we got some medals out of it and it's a display of an intricate relationship between horse and rider...but I found it pretty baffling.

While we're here, did anyone else enjoy the dressage? I know we got some medals out of it and it's a display of an intricate relationship between horse and rider...but I found it pretty baffling.

couldn't work it out either

what about the keirin in cycling & syncronised swimming as well

Keirin is great, love the durney bike, I'm down with all the cycling disciplines as that's my sport really, even the points and scratch race. Was a bit of a farce in Kenny's final though with a poorly thought out camera position and dopey durney rider. But yes synchronised swimming...hhmmm not so sure about that, and that team gymnastics with that ribbon on sticks, what's that about?

Keirin is great, love the durney bike, I'm down with all the cycling disciplines as that's my sport really, even the points and scratch race. Was a bit of a farce in Kenny's final though with a poorly thought out camera position and dopey durney rider. But yes synchronised swimming...hhmmm not so sure about that, and that team gymnastics with that ribbon on sticks, what's that about?

yes dopey driver & yes only one real position for the camera and they dont put it there

rhythmical gymnastics dont forget bouncy ball , clubs & a hoop gets even better when they do the team event 5 of them throwing stuff about awesome

• Like 1

yes dopey driver & yes only one real position for the camera and they dont put it there

rhythmical gymnastics dont forget bouncy ball , clubs & a hoop gets even better when they do the team event 5 of them throwing stuff about awesome

If stuff was on fire, then I'd be impressed.

• Like 1

The keirin and omnium make sense if you have someone to explain it to you.

Horse disco seems like a load of arse to me, but I know others like it.

• Like 2

Keirin is easy; "Follow the moped until it pulls off, then sprint for 2.5 laps". Omnium isn't all "hard", but the Points Race makes my head hurt (and I am a cycling fan).

I don't get how anything that is judged on "subjective opinion" can be a sport unless the commentator can explain clearly what the judges are looking for so the view can understand it (watch ski-jumping or diving for examples of how to do it).

• Like 1

So, let's get this right, a decision made 20 years ago, by the "Peoples' friend" PM, for the poorest in the community to fund investment in sports achievement has now paid-off in a very timely and handsome way in terms of promoting the image of the UK as "Well able to fight above its weight" and being a "Can-Do" place" just at a time when the UK needs to re-emphasise and publicise the positive aspects of its presence in the minds of potential new trade partners. What's there not to like ? Disruption to normal TV schedules over a month, seems small potatoes compared with the potential benefits that can accrue.

If there is anything to complain about, its the fact that the main economic benefits will, as usual accrue to a few, largely originating from post-brexit trade deals completed on the back of the refreshed UK image in the minds if foreigners, the financing and execution of this trade enhancing image promotion coming mainly from those least likely to benefit. So, the irony is that the "Winners" (And their supporters) are the "Losers".

Nick

Keirin is easy; "Follow the moped until it pulls off, then sprint for 2.5 laps". Omnium isn't all "hard", but the Points Race makes my head hurt (and I am a cycling fan).

I don't get how anything that is judged on "subjective opinion" can be a sport unless the commentator can explain clearly what the judges are looking for so the view can understand it (watch ski-jumping or diving for examples of how to do it).

once explained they were much easier to follow.  which should have happened more often . or in this day and age a drop down menu of rules on the red button for the more less well know versions of sports being shown 

I don't get how anything that is judged on "subjective opinion" can be a sport unless the commentator can explain clearly what the judges are looking for so the view can understand it 

to play devils advocate on this then is olympic boxing not a sport look how many commentators could not fathom out how the judges came to their scores

once explained they were much easier to follow.  which should have happened more often . or in this day and age a drop down menu of rules on the red button for the more less well know versions of sports being shown 

I don't get how anything that is judged on "subjective opinion" can be a sport unless the commentator can explain clearly what the judges are looking for so the view can understand it 

to play devils advocate on this then is olympic boxing not a sport look how many commentators could not fathom out how the judges came to their scores

Well, other than the Points Race, bicycle races are all "first across the line wins" (or fastest time in time trials including pursuits where only one rider/team is on track).

As to your question about amateur boxing, I don't think it's a sport no. (and I have similar problems with "poking at the opponent with your foot" ;) {Tae Kwon Do}).