Bonelorry's Golf Edition 30

bonelorry

Not too sad, could have been a lot worse, I thought these units were close to £600-800 to buy.

Yes they used to be, VW where replacing them as a goodwill gesture for quite a few Years but have now stopped.

Its classed as a Repair kit so it is basically one half of the ABS pump. When I rang to book it in yesterday I was quoted £300 plus the cos of the part but after looking into the job and from fellow enthusiasts post Alex at AKS Tuning says it takes around 1 Hour plus a Brake fluid change so I will query the price when I drop the car off next Monday morning. 

17/10/16...

Another busy but very worthwhile day! No more ESP light  :pomppomp:

Early start this morning and dropped the car off with Statllers along with the New Genuine ABS Hydraulic Block Repair Kit, Had a bit of a chinwag with them then left the car in their capable hands. Excellent Service yet again, I collected the car around 3PM all sorted! No more ESP/Traction Control issues anymore.

I asked what the work involved and basically....

: They removed the Engine Cover, Battery and Battery tray

: Removed all the Brake Pipes from the ABS unit and removed the ABS unit itself from the car

: Split the ABS unit in half and removed the old Hydraulic Block with faulty G201 Pressure sensor, P/N 1K0614517AF

: Fitted the New Genuine Repair Kit P/N 1K0698517B

: Refitted the ABS unit and reconnected the Brake Pipes

: Coded the new unit and began the Brake Fluid Bleeding process

: Full Brake Fluid change using Pagid DOT 4

: Full Diagnostic check, No faults found!

Took around 3 Hours in total and including Labour, Brake Fluid change and Diag check they charged me £240 including VAT which I was more than happy with. So in total with the part it has been a £500 touch as the part cost £260 from TPS. Main thing is that it is done now and the car is fault free!

29762702273_a6cfc3301c_c.jpg

Then onto the next job...

Made another visit to TPS en-route to work one day last Week and purchased all the parts to do the Pre-Cat removal on the car, I know I said I was in 2 minds what to do with regards to getting the car Stage 1 Mapped at R-Tech but it is happening!

I want the optimum set-up for Stage 1, Not for outright figures but after a good chat with Niki Gower on my last visit to R-Tech he said that removing the Pre-Cat is a good option whilst still utilising the stock hardware.

As the Pre-Cat is a restriction and sits just after the Turbo it creates heat and there will be an increase in EGT's too. So with this in mind removing the restriction increases flow, Efficiency, Increases Turbo Spool slightly and will free up some extra BHP in the higher Rev Range too.

Went straight from Statllers to my friends workshop and put the car on the 2 post ramp to cool down and then did the following...

: Removed the Engine Cover

: Removed the Top Lambda Sensor

: Removed the 2 Braces and unclipped the Second Lambda from its loom

: The Sleeve that joins the centre section was corroded so was simply cut off

: Unbolted the securing rubber bracket

: Unbolted 4 Nuts that secure the Downpipe to the Turbo

: Removed the entire Downpipe/Cat Assembly

: Secured the Flange in a vice and the rest of the Downpipe on the workbench

: Using a Cold Chisel and Hammer, Knocked the Pre-Cat out

: Once removed tipped up the Downpipe to allow any excess parts do come out

: Used the Air-line for a final clean out of any debris

: Refitted everything in reverse order, Also cleaned the areas where the Sleeve/Clamp sits and applied a small amount of Exhaust Paste for a good seal. Hot Bolt Paste was applied to the studs on the Turbo prior to the new Nuts fitting.

As always I opted to replace everything with new parts...

: New Genuine Turbo - Downpipe Gasket, P/N 1K0253115AB

: 4 x New Genuine Nuts to secure the Downpipe to the Turbo, P/N N90369001

: New Genuine Exhaust Clamp for the joint between Downpipe/Cat-Back, P/N 1K0253141N

Couple of snaps...

New Gasket, Nuts and Clamp...

29764992224_abd535c71f_c.jpg

Ready for Pre-Cat removal...

30394471645_7d06d28fc5_c.jpg

Knocked out, Literally...

29764074454_df12e7b1ea_c.jpg

Pre-Cat = Removed!...

30394471145_e8235e770b_c.jpg

Job done...

29764075834_fb7b082a94_c.jpg

• Like 2

21/10/16...

Last little job done this morning in preparation for next weeks visit to R-Tech, I booked the car in for the Re-map about 6 Weeks ago now and it has been a very long wait but on the plus side I have been able to go through everything on the car and give it the best chance possible.

Fitted the Volkswagen Racing Panel Filter this morning, The actual filter is made by ITG for VWR albeit with different branding but the price is about the same for either filter. Very happy with the quality of the part and the fitment, They have a 20K Mile lifespan before requiring cleaning but it would take me probably 3 Years to do that sort of mileage so I would probably just fit a new one every 20K or 3 Years whichever comes first.

So as of this morning the current spec of the car is as follows, All parts replaced in the last 800 Miles...

: Full Major Service all filters replaced using Genuine Parts, Millers Nanodrive 5W40 Oil

: New Genuine R8 Coil-Packs

: NGK BKR7EIX Iridium Spark Plugs

: New Genuine Cam Follower

: Revision R PCV

: GFB-DV+ Diverter with Brand New Revision G Solenoid

: Volkswagen Racing Panel Filter

: Pre-Cat Delete

: Strict diet of Shell V-Power Fuel

Not the greatest of spec lists to be honest compared to other members cars on the forum, However for me this is just the foundation for the Stage 1 map and I am now happy the car is ready  :smiley:

Couple of pics from this morning...

VWR Panel Filter...

29832517963_6c735bf3e8_c.jpg

Sat the filter on some clean paper towel for about 20 Mins while I removed the engine cover and paper filter, This was to remove any excess oil before fitting...

30348102232_c0ac487f8d_c.jpg

Ready for the Airbox rebuilding...

29832518413_6d7d87b830_c.jpg

Job done, Gave the engine bay a fettle...

30465069915_d0f3a53f2e_c.jpg

• Like 2

27/10/16...

Well after going down to Hinckley on Tuesday I parked the car up and didn't use it on Wednesday, I decided I was going to give the car its usual weekly clean on Thursday but needed a new Lambswool Wash Mitt as my other was dropping to bits. I usually order cleaning products online but since CleanYourCar.Com is located about 20 Miles away near Huddersfield with some fantastic driving roads on the way I needed an excuse to drive then car and enjoyed a spirited drive with the added benefits of the additional performance the car now has.

Its really really good, Niki has done a superb job on the map. Really progressive and effortlessly fast, The Mid-Range is more than adequate and it just keeps on going and going. Very happy with it!

The stock chassis is very good and as I have mentioned before I am going to be doing a few choice upgrades to make the most of the additional performance which should hopefully be happening over the next few Months. I am pretty much 100% decided on which way I want to go with it.

Still keep changing my mind about what to do about the wheels though  :thinking:

So while I was a CleanYourCar I had a chat with one of the guys there with regard to some other Detailing products that I have been looking into, After doing the 2-Stage Machine Polish the car is still looking fresh and glossy but at some point between 3-4 Months after will require a Wax top up. It is simply not practical to machine polish the car every few Months nor would you want to as you would have no paint left!

However being a Black car keeping that wet defect free look can prove difficult and as time goes on however careful I am with the wash process I will introduce new Minor swirl marks over time, So I decided to purchase some PoorBoys Black Hole which is a Pre-Wax Cleaner, Glaze and Filler. This is an excellent product and although not a Polish so wont cut the paint it will fill in any Minor imperfections and give that just machine polished look, However this process will strip any Wax so another application is required to protect. I am a big Collinites Wax fan but decided to try something different and went for Dodo Juice Purple Haze which works very well on Dark coloured cars.

The Combination of Poorboys Black Hole and Dodo Juice Purple Haze is exceptional especially on a Black car!

Just to add I have not used the above 2 products yet, There is still currently plenty of beading from the Collinites Wax which I applied 2 Months ago but at some point over the next Month I will be giving the above Combo a bash so will report afterwords.

Couple of obligatory pics post wash...

29974312564_e053d248c2_c.jpg

29974306674_ebf0e797ba_c.jpg

30606114495_949313da18_c.jpg

30517925061_bd69316130_c.jpg

Edited by bonelorry

Did I mention that I am taking the car to R-Tech tomorrow?

Just incase I have not mentioned it before.....

Yes I am a little exicted!

Waiting for your update!!

Can thoroughly recommend Black Hole.

Used it on the 4 Black Magic Skodas I've had and it does a great job. Certainly does what it says on the tin :)

Cheers Wardy, Did you apply it by hand or with a D/A?

Cheers Wardy, Did you apply it by hand or with a D/A?

By hand. It's a doddle, especially if you've just finished machine polishing. Then tended to add protection and seal in the good work it does, with a layer of Jeff's Prime Strong over the top.

• Like 1

I've got to ask, what would you recommend for the cleaning of the engine covers?

Enjoying this thread, wondering when you are going to buy your next car :p

Sorry about the delay replying...

I use a Brush to get rid of any loose dust, Any oily/greasy area's get wiped over with a mild de-greaser and microfibre cloth. Finish off with Aerospace 303 Protectant = Spray on and wipe off pretty much straight away. Leaves a Natural finish without too much shine.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/303-aerospace-protectant/prod_366.html

Funny you should mention my next car, Was having this discussion last night with a friend...You never know with me, When or what I will get next  :D

• Like 1

6/11/16...

Well this was not the sort of update I expected to be doing at least until next Year anyway, But this will probably be the last update I make about the car, Well in my ownership at least.

Long Story cut short I have been in talks for the past Week with a fellow enthusiast who is currently on the hunt for a sub 50K Mile, Black, 5-Door, ED30 with Manual gearbox. As there are not many examples that exist out there and certainly many that are in excellent condition I told him that he had his work cut out!

He was considering going down a different route as he has been looking for a few Months now but I told him that I might consider selling mine next Year at some point, As you all know I do not tend to keep cars much longer than 6 Months anyway and get all of my enjoyment out of getting them upto a good standard and then moving onto the next car which is great for the buyer!

I sent him a link to the build thread on the MK5GolfGTI Forum and as you can imagine the car is just what he wants and I doubt there will be many better currently out there, I discussed figures with him and mulled it over for a day or two then sent him a message saying he could have the Golf.

Although I was not planning on selling the Golf or even advertising it once I had an offer on the table I began looking at other possible cars that I could own next and what I would like to do to them etc. 

He currently has a Nissan 350Z which he is selling but once it has gone he says he wants the Golf, So if his car sells then I guess the Golf will be going. If anything changes then I will keep the Golf, It wants for absolutely nothing and simply needs driving and enjoying now.

Yes you can all say it, I am completely Mental  :stupid:

The Edition 30 is awesome, Certainly the best example I have owned and will probable be the last ED30 I own too! However the seed has been planted and I have began day dreaming about possible replacements which is lethal.

The potential next owner seems very genuine and says he will be joining the forum and continuing on with the car just as I have, So I will keep you all updated on what happens over the next Month or so with the car.

Thank you all as always for all you input into the thread and kind words, Makes all the effort worthwhile  :smiley:

Regards Simon

• Like 2

I totally get it, but yes - others might not :)

I'd continue to track down hard-to-find (in the right condition) 'sub' models like the ED30 if I were you :thumbup: