2010 (2013) 1.8 TSI Engines - Timing chain tensioners.

I have a 2010 FL 1.8 TSI L&K Octavia that I bought in April this year, lovely car, pleased as punch.

I found out from this forum the problems with timing chain tension-er problems that afflict these engines and did some digging. Skoda UK told me in April, the timing chain tension had been fixed in Jan 2014.

I have now found out that is not exactly the case. ( But not necessarily in a bad way.)

The fault reported on Skoda UK database, and fixed was that of a faulty timing chain issue, but the issue was catastrophic failure and they actually changed the complete engine.

There was no report and I was given no indication that the engine had been changed. The service manual doesn't have a page for warranty (or other) repairs.  

I also have a much newer engine in my car than I thought I had, one that has done 29k instead of the 72k the car has done.

I actually found out by grilling the Skoda garage who did the work.

The whole engine has 10/13 date codes all over it, which alerted me to something other than just a straight forward tensioner replacement.

Would this replacement engine be fitted with the replacement upgraded tensioners? ( I am of the mind that it would but can't say for sure.)

I am not overly concerned at the moment as it sounds tiptop with no rattles or noises at all, but if anyone has a definitive answer I would like to know.

Oh an Edit as I had an afterthought.... Where can I find the serial number for the engine? (Its a 1.8 TSI CDAA)

Edited by promethian

You are correct re the V5 document and thats the reason I was asking where I could find the engine serial number.

I asked today for the warranty invoice to be emailed to me.

The Service receptionist said they couldnt do it for data protection reasons.

I asked them to blank any sensitive personal data out then email me it.

They said they would ring back but never did. I'll try again tomorrow.

Edited by promethian

Data protection applies to PERSONAL details of previous owners, and you are perfectly entitled to find out and get documents relating to the maintenance and work done on a vehicle that you now own.

I recently bought a 62 plate Octavia privately, as a bereavement sale, knowing it was due for a scheduled service and MOT shortly after I got it. I returned to the supplying dealer a couple of weeks ago to get this done for two reasons - they knew the car, and were doing a great deal on the MOT if done with a service. The dealer concerned (Lookers/Benfields of Harrogate) has done every bit of work on the car (fair enough only services and one previous MOT in the 14k miles since new), and whilst I was in the dealership, I asked them if there was any way of me getting copies of every invoice relating to the car from day 1 - they did not quibble about this one little bit except for pointing out that the previous owners details would be blanked out (haha, even though I knew them anyway having bought the car privately from them!)

So in answer to your question, the dealer who changed the engine should let you have a copy invoice showing the vehicle details and what exactly has been done to the car - data protection will not cover the engine numbers in any way

Mike

100% Agree  :D

I still would like someone to tell me where I can find the serial number on this engine so I can visually check it out as well. Anyone?

Edited by promethian

Update on this topic.

The Garage that carried out the work has offered to update my Service book with workshop entries including all the details, if I post it in to them.

They also said that there are no serial numbers to change on these engines and no need to inform DVLA??????

DVLA require a form V888 to be filled in and posted to them for information on a vehicle, even if you own it, with a £5 charge.

Skoda UK deny holding any repair information like this on their database as its all held with the relevant dealer.

Is this all true, or am I being bull******* too?

Edited by promethian

I recall reading in the engine failure thread http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/ that someone said that Skoda did something with the replacement engine so that there isn't a need to update the V5.

EDIT: this is the actual entry: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/page-5#entry3449247

Edited by nickgpfc
  • Like 1

I recall reading in the engine failure thread http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/ that someone said that Skoda did something with the replacement engine so that there isn't a need to update the V5.

Thanks... 43 pages of thread to sift through :(

Skoda UK deny holding any repair information like this on their database as its all held with the relevant dealer.

Is this all true, or am I being bull******* too?

Bull Sh1te I would think.

I rang Skoda Customer Services ages ago to enquire about a car I was thinking of buying.

They told me the cars full history regarding service and warranty work. 

As being held by the reverent dealer, if you trade your car in against another Skoda at a Skoda dealer, in the other part of the country, they then sell it, the selling dealer can get up all the servicing/warranty work carried out on the car, If the Dealer can do so can Skoda CC.

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

The engine number should have been changed on the V5 registration document when it was replaced. If there are any fundamental changes such as replacement engines or colour of the car, it is a legal requirement to inform DVLA and to send the log book back for amendment to the new details.

Also, having grilled the Skoda dealer who did the engine swap, I would get back in touch with them and ask for a copy of the invoice/warranty claim - the old and new engine numbers will be on this. You should have no porbelm doing this with the work being recorded on Skoda's database

Mike

If the manufacturer is replacing the engine and is wholly destroying the old one then they can legally stamp the new engine with the same number.

• Like 1