Auto Express End of Term Report

Coops

Really good review and i echo the comments for the EU centre parcs trip !

There replacement car is...

Even so, we’ve tried to make our replacement for the Superb just a teeny bit more glitzy, and so we’ve plumped for the Dragon Green 1.4-litre turbocharged petrol hatchback, in Skoda’s new motorsport-influenced Sportline trim.

He makes a big deal about loading enough kit for a weeks holiday in Belgium for two parents and a toddler.... Well I'll see your toddler and raise you an eight and nine year old as well!!

We took our three kids for a Brittany bound camping holiday this summer and the car swallowed everything we chucked at it... And some.

After 1300 miles the average fuel consumption was 49mpg mostly ACC.

Most comfortable trip ever for everyone involved.

He makes a big deal about loading enough kit for a weeks holiday in Belgium for two parents and a toddler.... Well I'll see your toddler and raise you an eight and nine year old as well!!

We took our three kids for a Brittany bound camping holiday this summer and the car swallowed everything we chucked at it... And some.

After 1300 miles the average fuel consumption was 49mpg mostly ACC.

Most comfortable trip ever for everyone involved.

I thought that too. :D  We have me, Mrs Rainmaker, a 10 year old, an 18 month old and a 6 week old... Add in a double pram, bags, toys and whatnot and there's still room for a week's shopping. Even then the boot is only full to the parcel shelf line with plenty spare if we remove it. We have more room than my brother does in his Seat Alhambra! 

It was interesting ( to me at least) that the least successful part of the experience was the DSG gearbox.

Probably because he's driving a diesel unit. I've driven the 6 and 7 speed boxes extensively, in both petrol and diesel guises. The diesel is adequate but nowhere near as smooth as the petrol units. 

It was interesting ( to me at least) that the least successful part of the experience was the DSG gearbox.

The DSG is simply outstanding. I'll never have another car with a manual box. I've never had a problem with it in the wrong gear. I've never had a problem with hesitation. The people who have these problems just cant be using it properly. I love it !

• Like 1

It always amuses me that people who enthuse so much about DSG can't understand why others don't share their love. It's merely your opinion that it can only because they are not using it properly, not a fact.

As the article above shows, it is not as simple as that. I would imagine the person writing the article has driven a very wide range of vehicles so he is entitled to make his comments based on personal experience of driving it for six months.

People are different, they like different things. surely this is a good thing. For example, I really liked the look of the original Fiat Multipla. I am aware I was in a minority so wouldn't dream of suggesting those who don't like the looks weren't looking at it properly.

I am also aware that on this forum I am probably in a minority because of my dislike of DSG gearboxes, particularly on diesel vehicles. That doesn't make my opinion any less valid as it is based on my own set of values.

I don't like DSG, would not buy DSG, and yes, before the question is asked (again) I have driven many DSG vehicles, petrol and diesel over many many miles.

:-) I've never read one of your posts before so have no idea and even less interest on your feelings of DSG. You've pretty much stated the obvious and I agree. Some like it and some don't.

I can't understand why they don't and think it maybe because they are not using it correctly....

Seems to me you need to chill...

Edited by Nick_H

The DSG is simply outstanding. I'll never have another car with a manual box. I've never had a problem with it in the wrong gear. I've never had a problem with hesitation. The people who have these problems just cant be using it properly. I love it !

Nick your DSG is in a petrol and i have to admit 'sometimes' my diesel DSG does think it's a toaster! Doesnt grab a gear quick enough, i kick down and it changes, but then it reacts to the kick down and changes again. Result being a bit jerky. However for the most its great and makes driving much more pleasureable.

• Like 1

The DSG is simply outstanding. I'll never have another car with a manual box.

Well, on the whole I agree.

But: I’ve driven a 2.0TSI coupled to a 7-speed PDK (work that one out!) and think that’s superior. Shame my car doesn’t have 7 speeds. On the other hand, the PDK setup forces you to go looking for the ‘Sport’ button every bl***dy time you want it, whereas with the DSG it’s a simple flick of the lever: much better.

As for never having a manual again (this is also my first ever automatic): yes, of course, the arguments in favour of buying (DSG) automatic over manual are numerous. But oh boy do I enjoy driving manual cars now when I get the opportunity. When getting the heel-and-toe as well as double-declutch spot on and in a flash, there’s no more rewarding driving experience. It’s about being fully in charge and doing the job yourself – hopefully well.

• Like 1

Well, on the whole I agree.

But: I’ve driven a 2.0TSI coupled to a 7-speed PDK (work that one out!) and think that’s superior. Shame my car doesn’t have 7 speeds. On the other hand, the PDK setup forces you to go looking for the ‘Sport’ button every bl***dy time you want it, whereas with the DSG it’s a simple flick of the lever: much better.

As for never having a manual again (this is also my first ever automatic): yes, of course, the arguments in favour of buying (DSG) automatic over manual are numerous. But oh boy do I enjoy driving manual cars now when I get the opportunity. When getting the heel-and-toe as well as double-declutch spot on and in a flash, there’s no more rewarding driving experience. It’s about being fully in charge and doing the job yourself – hopefully well.

Amen to that. If only they did the 2.0 TSI in manual... I think I'd have one. 

If only they did the 2.0 TSI in manual... I think I'd have one. 

In a way, I’m glad they don’t because I would have agonised over that choice: head says “DSG”, heart says “manual”.

There was enough agonising over head saying diesel (especially given my high mileage) vs. heart saying “no, not again; enough, already”. I’m still glad heart won that one, but I probably wouldn’t be in the above DSG vs. manual case.

• Like 1

This thread's boiled down to a discussion about VW's 6 speed DSG transmission!  It started about Skoda's 2016 version of the Superb'est car it's ever made, yet its condescended to a discussion about VW's 6 speed DSG.

Efficiently Dragging 2 tons of car plus occupants from zero to 140 mph requires certain steps 'increments' in transmission of the cars engine and 6 ain't  enough apparently, (as current review demonstrates) so when will I be able to buy a wet clutch 7 speed front drive diesel Superb ?