1.2 tsi vs 1.6 tdi

Jefu

Hello!

My apologies for raising once again what seems to be the age old question - 1.2 tsi or 1.6 tdi - but as both a newish driver (16 months since passing) and someone who knows next to nothing about cars anyways, I felt I should come to the experts!

So, this first year of driving is also my first in a new job, one that has probably seen me rack up about 16,000 miles (mixture of business and personal use). This annual mileage is likely to stay roughly the same. I cover a patch comprising most of Devon (everywhere bar areas covered by Torbay Council and Plymouth Council) and so driving is a right ol' mix of motorway/dual carriageway all the way down to tiny dirt tracks in more remote areas. As well as local driving, once or twice a year I'll likely take trips to/from Yorkshire.

I've been drawn to a Fabia as my foster parents until recently had a TDI estate and they loved it (& very much regretting not having any longer), and I was always surprised myself by how much power it seemed to have on hills etc.

Can I expect the same 'oomph' on hills from the 1.2 tsi? Or, even so, should I only really be considering a dodgy diesel (as my foster pops terms them!) given the mileage I do / will do?

Budget wise, I'm looking at having circa £1500 by way of a deposit (NO-ONE is going to want my current car as I trade in, I promise you...) and then rest on the 'never-never' so I've been looking at newish pre-owned cars up to £7500 by rough reckoning.

Thanks so much in advance for any responses :)

Same power in both engines give or take. Ive owned both for high mileage use and prefer the petrol as I had ongoing sensor, EGR and DPF issues with the diesel. Road tax and mpg will be better with the diesel, although mpg figures seem to be quite sporadic in the diesel.

Avoid the Monte if you will be on rough roads as the suspension is pretty hard.

I would think you would get a decent low mileage mk 2 for that sort of money with some toys and fun buttons

Im sure a dealer would let you have a drive of both so you can get a feel for them.

I have driven both a 1.2 TWO and a 1.6 TDI

The TSI was faultless, but you really needed to give it a bootful to get it to go anywhere, which ruins the MPG. You can get a decent turbo whistle from it though! I have heard that they can suffer from gasket problems in later life, but not seen much supporting evidence outside Ford's ECO-Boost engine.

The TDI gets good motorway/long distance mileage. I can get 550 miles out of the tank without too much of a problem (without the warning light coming on) and it goes like stink if it needs to, but they do appear to be plagued by EGR problems.

I got an SE plus model TDI for around £5500 (5 years old) so £7500 should get you a good range of Mk2 and MK3 models. I'd advise against getting the basic model of either, as it's quite a boring place to sit.

• Like 1

No supporting evidence of any kind really on the gaskets is there considering this is the biggest forum likely to have 1.2 tsi owners.

Was it a 105ps 1.2 TSI you drove that you had to give a bootful to get to go anywhere?

Sounds different from many others experiences.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

Without boring you with my experiences as to my 2 years with a 1.6TDI CR90 (from new) - suffice it to say I am now very happy with my 1.2TSI 86.(Also from new)

Edited by 2ndskoda

No supporting evidence of any kind really on the gaskets is there considering this is the biggest forum likely to have 1.2 tsi owners.

Was it a 105ps 1.2 TSI you drove that you had to give a bootful to get to go anywhere?

Sounds different from many others experiences.

I'm heard from both someone who works for the AA and someone who used to be a technician for VW. None on here but that doesn mean there's nothing at all.

As for the TSI, I have no idea what version it was I'm afraid.

• Like 1

There are several members here that also are Technicians with VW or other VW Group Dealerships and also Independents,

and others that work on these engines, maybe they can comment.

There are also members that are AA & RAC responders.

There are chain tensioner issues, water pump and turbo shim issues but they are well covered on this forum.

As are DPF, regen and EGR valves on 1.6 TDI CR with not that high miles often, 

and these are also subject to the Defeat Device issue and due to get 'The Fix' if the owner chooses to get it done.

I buy cars with a view to running them till at least 120,000 miles. I've had a long standing issue with the 1.2 tsi chain occasionally rattling on start up on the octavia that skoda refuses to fix. The 2nd tsi in the fabia which is newer, is so far faultless at 55k miles.

But what puts me off all current vag diesels more are the stories of EGR valves that are inaccessible and cost up to £1000 to replace, which wouldn't be an issue if they never fail, but they do. Never mind DMF and DPF issues.

The 1.2tsi is much quieter and refined than the 1.6tdi, and based on a test drive has much more low revs grunt than the diesel which feels flat as a fart until you hit at least 1500 rpm. Likely to be even flatter when the "emission fix" gets applied.

The 1.2tsi is great for diy oil changes with very easy oil drain and filter change. No covers to remove and filter on top of engine at front in plain view.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

Traditionally driving 16000miles a year the diesel would be the obvious choice. However with EGR / DPF issues and not knowing the driving history the choice is not so clear. They can not force you to have the emissions fix applied but if the car goes into a dealer they may just do it. Do not be tempted by a low mileage diesel as it could be trouble if used for mostly short urban journeys rather than longer journeys a couple of times a week. Rather think higher mileage but only paying ~£6500 so should anything go wrong you have £1000 to play with.

The 1.2TSI will cost you more in fuel but balanced by potentially more reliable. It is a cam chain where as the diesel is a belt that needs replacing after 5 years and costs £400.

Debatable how much you would notice the extra power of either 105 engine compared to the 90, which will be cheaper insurance.

Go with at least SE trim while the Elegance adds climate control, maxi-dot dash, cruise control etc but does have 16" wheels with 205/45/16 tyres that are both more expensive and harsher ride than 195/55/15 on the SE.

Your options of course depend on your timescale and cars available fairly locally.

The 1.2tsi is much quieter and refined than the 1.6tdi, and based on a test drive has much more low revs grunt than the diesel which feels flat as a fart until you hit at least 1500 rpm. Likely to be even flatter when the "emission fix" gets applied.

The 1.6CR TDI needs to be kept above about 1600rpm when the turbo is really spinning both for performance and economy. This is despite what the gear change indication suggests, as has been posted on numerous threads.