Getting back into MTB'ing

VRS Mike

Well after finally hanging up my football boots I was looking for something to fill the time and to keep up my fitness. Used to MTB a lot when I was a teenager so took the plunge and have just ordered a 2016 Trek X caliber 9. I set up a cycle to work scheme at work so am just waiting for my certificate to come through.

I took the full £1000 and the bike was reduced to £725, so leaves me some money for SPD pedals and shoes, and some lights as I am planning on joining the local club who go for ride outs on a Thursday night.

Any advice on other gear I should get? Was thinking mud guards? Spare tubes, tool kit, water bottle holder, maybe a computer (although I have a watch that can monitor the ride) should I fill my tubes with slime to prevent flats?

Cheers

Mike 

• Like 1

I'd go with the simple needed stuff like a bottle and holder or a camelbak hydration pack. As its later in the year, I would be looking for a rear mudguard and then some decent padded shorts or leggings and some warmer clothing for when the temps start to drop. A good waterproof jacket is always a good one to have as they also wipe clean as are a pair of waterproof socks.

Edited by mattievrs
  • Like 2

As said comfy sweat wicking clothing is a must, decent gloves and yes hydration pack with a pocket big enough for a tube, pump, multi tool, zip ties, food. Waterproof socks are great I have some seal skinz ones. Then you're good to go. I've never bothered with mudguards although I have used a crud catcher on the front. Tend to wear clear lens glasses to protect my eyes. I try not to use bottle cages and saddle bags, shove it all in a hydration pack and keep the bike light as possible.

Happy new bike day!

I've got a Camelbak - great bit of kit. The actual one I've got is probably discontinued now, but it's a mid size one (2 litre capacity) with enough room for a mini pump, spare tube, puncture repair kit, multi tool, wallet, keys, phone and snack bar.

I've never bothered with tyre slime. New tubes are cheap enough and punctures are easy to fix.

Padded shorts are also a must. I have Endura shorts with removable padded inner. Bib tights are also good for colder weather and if you have shorts with a removable inner then you can wear the shorts over the top of the bib tights. Keep an eye out in Aldi - they sometimes get in cyling gear at good prices.

Pedals - I have egg beaters and have been happy with them but have never tried SPDs to compare.

Another vote for Camel packs, although, you could save yourself £50 and just get a bottle cage and water bottle. (thats all i use now for anything other than all day epics) Plus it keeps the weight off your back in your rucksack.

Padded shorts are a must! I also reccomend some cycling glasses too with either clear or yellow tinted lenses. Nothing worse than a bug or grit in your eye, it always happens half way through a tricky downhill section too!

I get a faird bit of cycling clothing from Aldi these days, it's cheap and does the job.

get the bike tomorrow. Went in this afternoon to select accessories. Went for SPD pedals and shoes, bottle holder and bottle, new helmet, slime inner tubes, padded MTB shorts, rear light, then went for an 1800 lumen front LED light as I plan on doing some winter night rides.

Can't wait to get it home tomorrow and try to master the new pedals lol.

• Like 1

Another vote for Camel packs, although, you could save yourself £50 and just get a bottle cage and water bottle. (thats all i use now for anything other than all day epics) Plus it keeps the weight off your back in your rucksack.

Padded shorts are a must! I also reccomend some cycling glasses too with either clear or yellow tinted lenses. Nothing worse than a bug or grit in your eye, it always happens half way through a tricky downhill section too!

I get a faird bit of cycling clothing from Aldi these days, it's cheap and does the job.

Id rather carry weight in my bag than on my bike, keep the bike light for manoeuvrability.

Did you get shimano spd? If so wind out the adjustment screw to loosen spring tension while you get used to them.

And yes, you cant beat Camelbak mate. Good warranty on them too.

Yeah they are Shimano, I've asked them to loosen them off. Had a play with the light last night, it's a moon x power 1800, seems like a good bit of kit! Hopefully will have time this weekend to get out on the bike a couple of times. Planning on going out with my local cycling group on Thursday night so need to have mastered the pedals! 

• Like 1

You'll soon get used to them. If you know you're going to stop, unclip early and rest your foot on the pedal til you get used to them. And get moving before clipping in. Make sure the cleat is straight and in the right place on your shoe. Your brain will soon learn the process. In a dozen rides you wont even think about it. Stay relaxed on the bike, let it roll, look well ahead, don't tense up and have fun!

Edited by YellowCar

Yeah they are Shimano, I've asked them to loosen them off. Had a play with the light last night, it's a moon x power 1800, seems like a good bit of kit! Hopefully will have time this weekend to get out on the bike a couple of times. Planning on going out with my local cycling group on Thursday night so need to have mastered the pedals! 

Moon lights are awesome. I've been a Moon re-seller for the last 2 years and so far I've only had 1 bracket snap out of all the lights I've sold, their warranty/support is fantastic (if you ever need it).

When looking for a rear light, you can't get better than the Moon Shield, it's pricey but well worth the money.

I run the xp550 on my road bike & I have the older xpower 850 for my off road rides, I bet the xpower 1800 is awesome  B)

Edited by DarkPeakCycles

Moon lights are awesome. I've been a Moon re-seller for the last 2 years and so far I've only had 1 bracket snap out of all the lights I've sold, their warranty/support is fantastic (if you ever need it).

When looking for a rear light, you can't get better than the Moon Shield, it's pricey but well worth the money.

I run the xp550 on my road bike & I have the older xpower 850 for my off road rides, I bet the xpower 1800 is awesome  B)

The X power 1800 is insane. I was told not to go for too bright a rear light as it might dazzle other cyclists when going on night rides. I don't plan on doing any road riding so just went for a £10 LED jobby.

The light was RRP at £210 but they had 30% off, the shop isn't the cheapest but I know a couple of the lads who work in there and I like to support local business.

• Like 1

It's negligable,

plus, if you have too much weight in your pack, that'll affect your manoeuvrabillity on the bike. It's all just personal prefernce. :-)

You weigh more than your bike, so weight on you is even less of a factor. That amount of weight makes much more difference to your bike than your body. Its not only personal preference, its physics. Plus the weight on your back is centred, not spread across the bike in various ways. Edited by YellowCar

no I'm going to disagree with you on that one. Weight on you (the organic, floppy, flexible bit) is affected more by weight than a ridged metal framed bike. When out mountain biking, too much weight on your body will affect you more than weight on the bike.

Well after finally hanging up my football boots I was looking for something to fill the time and to keep up my fitness. Used to MTB a lot when I was a teenager so took the plunge and have just ordered a 2016 Trek X caliber 9. I set up a cycle to work scheme at work so am just waiting for my certificate to come through.

I took the full £1000 and the bike was reduced to £725, so leaves me some money for SPD pedals and shoes, and some lights as I am planning on joining the local club who go for ride outs on a Thursday night.

Any advice on other gear I should get? Was thinking mud guards? Spare tubes, tool kit, water bottle holder, maybe a computer (although I have a watch that can monitor the ride) should I fill my tubes with slime to prevent flats?

Cheers

Mike 

How does the cycle to work scheme work? Do you loan the bike?

Someone may have opened a can of worms here!

Olympic mountain bikers seem to have bottles. Some reasons for this might be that the weight is fairly low down and the weight of an empty bottle is probably less than the weight of an empty hydration pack. They can also chuck a bottle and get given/pick up a new one easily - not so easy with a hydration pack. Even when strapped on tight a hydration pack will probably move around more than the water in a bottle would.

I think a hydration pack is better for longer leisure rides - I find it much easier to drink from, easier to clean mud from the mouthpiece and it also has storage for tools, keys, phone etc. which are annoying to have rattling on the bike or in your pockets.

Someone may have opened a can of worms here!

Olympic mountain bikers seem to have bottles. Some reasons for this might be that the weight is fairly low down and the weight of an empty bottle is probably less than the weight of an empty hydration pack. They can also chuck a bottle and get given/pick up a new one easily - not so easy with a hydration pack. Even when strapped on tight a hydration pack will probably move around more than the water in a bottle would.

I think a hydration pack is better for longer leisure rides - I find it much easier to drink from, easier to clean mud from the mouthpiece and it also has storage for tools, keys, phone etc. which are annoying to have rattling on the bike or in your pockets.

You said it yourself. Racers chuck bottles and don't need a pack to carry essentials or car keys or a mobile and have a service area. Enduro racers will have a hydration pack with essentials rather than have it on the bike. Xc racers keep themselves and bike as light as possible and only carry an occasional bottle when required and ditch it soon as possible.

96CA3267-5E8E-49C5-AD6B-B94426291E57.jpg

I've taken all the reflectors off already. Ridden around the block and garden a few times. Find it slightly fiddly getting the pedals attached but no issues getting out. Spent the evening going through my shed and garage to make some space for it lol. Hopefully will get out a couple of times this weekend. Will be joining the local cycling group and will do a 20 miler with them this Thursday.

And I don't think the weight of water bottles etc will make any difference for what I am using it for. I'll get a camelback for longer rides and just use a bottle most of the time.

Edited by VRS Mike
  • Like 1

96CA3267-5E8E-49C5-AD6B-B94426291E57.jpg

I've taken all the reflectors off already. Ridden around the block and garden a few times. Find it slightly fiddly getting the pedals attached but no issues getting out. Spent the evening going through my shed and garage to make some space for it lol. Hopefully will get out a couple of times this weekend. Will be joining the local cycling group and will do a 20 miler with them this Thursday.

And I don't think the weight of water bottles etc will make any difference for what I am using it for. I'll get a camelback for longer rides and just use a bottle most of the time.

Nice work. Its not just the bottle I refer to really, its also the spare tube, keys, phone, mult-tool, tube, food, pump you should also carry, which with a bottle adds a pretty significant amount. Without a hydration pack all that gets spread across the bike from the saddle (in terms of saddle bag) to the downtube. Still not sure why people think that's better. Anyway,for now, fill your bottle and go ride!

Also consider that riding for over an hour and a half, one bike bottle wont give you enough fluid. You need at least 500ml-1 litre per hour.

Edited by YellowCar

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.