Trail etiquette: particularly trail centres

YellowCar

Bit of a double meaning to this post. Firstly, just getting something off my chest and secondly, there's a few people on here who I'm pleased to say have taken up, or are getting back into mtb. So this may serve as a useful point of advice.

I was out on Brechfa (my local trails) for a quick blast this morning, which is a semi-managed well waymarked centre. After the first climb there is what I would describe as a medium speed flowing section, now on this single-track section the last thing you should expect to come across is 2 riders, fixing a puncture with themselves, their bikes, and the wheel theyre repairing strewn across the trail blocking the way. I had to virtually stop and lose all my momentum while they quietly shifted their gear.

Later on, at a single-track exit onto a fireroad, 3 more riders fixing a puncture, managing to pretty much block what is a much wider track.

Ok,so fixing a puncture out on the trail is a mare, but all you have to do is move 5 feet to the left or right into the plantation and you're completely off the trail.

To completely block a wide fireroad is even more ridiculous.

On the same ride, at the bottom of a very high speed section I was confronted by 2 riders going UP. I did say 'I wouldn't ride up there, its a downhill trail!'

Wtf is going on?

I have to make the most of my rides as time is limited,so Ill always ride between 60-80% effort, I am a considerate rider though, but don't think anybody should be expected to stop or change direction just because people cant be bothered to keep the trail clear. When on bridleways and shared routes the need to be considerate to other users is obvious,particularly when this could be dog walkers, horse riders or ramblers...sowhat happens at trail centres, why cant fellow riders extend consideration to other riders. They ride, so must know how annoying and dangerous it can be to block a flowing or high speed trail, or any trail for that matter.

I therefore offer these points to our beginners and others who are looking to use trail centres, given their increasing popularity:

1) If you're fixing your bike, make sure you and your kit is clear of the trail

2) When riding in a group and you stop for a chat, don't conceal signage, clog up junctions or block trails, leave space for others

3) If there is mo sign on a post facing you, or there is a no entry sign on the post, DONT RIDE UP IT, thinking it looks like a challenging climb, there is no sign because its one way, and someone could be coming down at warp speed

4) Trail centres are full of people with different abilities which is great. But whether you're a faster rider who catches slower riders, or a slower rider who often has people passing, be considerate and respectful of how others want to ride, whichever way round it is.

This all sounds like common sense, unfortunately common sense is becoming less common. I've been in situations before where I've had to stop and wait for a group of chatting riders to waddle to the edge of the trail and swing wheels out of the way. Come on guys think of your fellow riders as well as other trail users, blocking single-track trails is pure madness and downright rude and potentially dangerous.

That feels better

I have to agree with on that. Whenever people are blocking the start/middle of a trail I'm quite happy to shout 'EXCUSE ME' they usually move.

If I do come up to a slower rider, not often as I am usually slow enough, I will wait for a suitable place to get past or make them aware I'm there and hope they might move.

Consideration is not in some peoples vocabulary.

• Like 1

I get all those issues every time I ride, sometimes I'm guilty of stopping in the middle of a fire road straight after a section but when I hear someone coming I'm quickly out the way before they have to potentially slow down.

I've actually ran over a wheel where someone was fixing a puncture, they were sat on a 20" 'drop off' with their back to the trail and wheel half on the rock half at the bottom. There was no way I could avoid him and the wheel, I had to make a split second decision which one to hit.

• Like 1

I have to agree with on that. Whenever people are blocking the start/middle of a trail I'm quite happy to shout 'EXCUSE ME' they usually move.

If I do come up to a slower rider, not often as I am usually slow enough, I will wait for a suitable place to get past or make them aware I'm there and hope they might move.

Consideration is not in some peoples vocabulary.

Something I picked from riding downhill and doing some xc races is to call 'rider' to warn people, and when approaching say 'passing on your right/left' so people aren't jumping out of their skin and know which side you intend to go. Its become a kind of standard language.

I have to say, I agree with all of the above.

I think it's great that cycling/mountain biking is becoming more and more popular, but I too have noticed that some riding etiquette has been lost along the way!

Other things that grind my gears:

Litter on trails - funninly enough, inner tubes and lucozade bottles are not bio-degradable!

People riding without helmets - No explanation needed...why!?!?!

bike / kit snobbery - It dosent matter if you're an experienced rider on a 'budget' bike or a newbie on a 7K carbon jobbie, we're all out to have fun and enjoy ourselves. So keep the snide comments under your helmet.

Bugs me when people shout their dogs, right when the dog is close to you and has his / her attention on you riding past.

Dogs have eyes and ears, and most of them are not stupid and do not want to get injured.

They are highly unlikely to just run in front of you until the owner shouts them and all their concentration on you is lost, and then they turn and run right in front of you.

I know the owner is trying to help, but some people just do not think. And like you say, common sense nowadays! Not a lot of it about.

• Like 1

I have to say, I agree with all of the above.

I think it's great that cycling/mountain biking is becoming more and more popular, but I too have noticed that some riding etiquette has been lost along the way!

Other things that grind my gears:

Litter on trails - funninly enough, inner tubes and lucozade bottles are not bio-degradable!

People riding without helmets - No explanation needed...why!?!?!

bike / kit snobbery - It dosent matter if you're an experienced rider on a 'budget' bike or a newbie on a 7K carbon jobbie, we're all out to have fun and enjoy ourselves. So keep the snide comments under your helmet.

Unfortunately snobbery and elitism has always been there with mtb, people look at your bike before you to see if you're worth talking to. Since good finance deals have been available on bikes giving greater access to top end kit, I'm afraid its got worse. But like you say we all just want to have fun on bikes, and it would be a lot more fun if people followed some simple rules.

I may sound like I'm being too negative, worth pointing out that the ignorant ones are the minority,but when you come across a few on one ride makes you wonder what's going on. It definitely seems worse on mtb only trails at trail centres though, which is odd. If anything at trail centres we should be more respectful of each other, not less.

Unfortunately you're going to find idiots everywhere, if you have to explain to someone why repairing a bike in the middle of a trail is a bad idea then they're probably not going to take it in.  I rarely have issues at trail centres and same on 24 hour races (where most people are considerate to others) although did have someone walking their dogs, backwards up a dedicated downhill trail which was clearly signposted and when coming by, didn't warn us that he had a second dog also off the lead further along.  

I have to laugh at MTB snobbery, I don't judge people at all by their bikes or equipment as it usually has no relation to their skill.  One of the best riders I know for a long time just rode a single speed rigid MTB and there were few people faster than him, I see plenty of pretty basic hardtails that people just fling down technical features no problem.