Unable to open door to remove door panel!

JimFord

I have an '02 reg Octavia Vrs.

Both nearside doors won't open on the keyfob or central locking unit in the driver's side door.

I need to open the doors in order to remove the door panels and get to the problem area.

How can I open the doors if they remain locked, (without recourse to an angle grinder, please!).

I've done a search, but can't find a topic that fits my problem.

(It's a long time since I've been on this forum - glad to see it's still going!)

Jim

I have an '02 reg Octavia Vrs.

Both nearside doors won't open on the keyfob or central locking unit in the driver's side door.

I need to open the doors in order to remove the door panels and get to the problem area.

How can I open the doors if they remain locked, (without recourse to an angle grinder, please!).

I've done a search, but can't find a topic that fits my problem.

(It's a long time since I've been on this forum - glad to see it's still going!)

Jim

Try this, I found it on here in the technical guides.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/284445-the-definitive-guide-to-removing-a-broken-lock-rear-doors/

I managed to open the doors with a combination of inside handle pulling, keyfob pressing and drivers side door control unit button pressing!

I removed the front passenger door panel and checked the connectors. All were clean with no evidence of water ingress. I then 'exercised' the door lock, both by hand and by the door and fob switches, but the door is still frequently reluctant to unlock!

Is it worth just changing the lock for a 100% guaranteed fix - they're only £17.90 on Ebay, or is it possible that there's more to it than that?

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Jim

I managed to open the doors with a combination of inside handle pulling, keyfob pressing and drivers side door control unit button pressing!

I removed the front passenger door panel and checked the connectors. All were clean with no evidence of water ingress. I then 'exercised' the door lock, both by hand and by the door and fob switches, but the door is still frequently reluctant to unlock!

Is it worth just changing the lock for a 100% guaranteed fix - they're only £17.90 on Ebay, or is it possible that there's more to it than that?

Jim

Jim

Yes new door lock will cure it I suspect. Firstly check the wiring in the rubber boot between door and 'A' pillar for damage, if all ok the the new door lock should cure it. I have 4 door locks from eBay on mine and work just fine.

Back door -

Remove the screw holding the tweeter in the door, pop the cover off the inner door pull, takes a bit of pulling. Remove the 2 large screws from under the door pull.

then take out the seat base, slide drivers seat forward.

grip the remainder of the door handle and the door pocket quite firmly and then...

Pull fast hard and evenly.

itll pop the door card off the holding clips and shouldnt break any if you get right (ive done mine twice and its survived). Then unhook inner door pull and slide the card up to get it out of the window slot

Ebay chinese locks are fine. Just be wary - if the outer latch cable isnt set correctly when you replace it, it will **** up the lock release...

Edited by mac11irl

Ebay chinese locks are fine. Just be wary - if the outer latch cable isnt set correctly when you replace it, it will **** up the lock release...

Thanks - how do you correctly set the outer latch cable?

Jim

Thanks - how do you correctly set the outer latch cable?

Jim

Very carefuly count the number of exposed threads ahead of the cable end when you take off the cover on outside pull. Then make sure its the same when you reattach the cable :)

Very carefuly count the number of exposed threads ahead of the cable end when you take off the cover on outside pull. Then make sure its the same when you reattach the cable :)

Thanks - I've just ordered a lock from Ebay.

Jim

• Like 1

Thanks - I've just ordered a lock from Ebay.

Jim

Oh! Just remembered you can get the 2 very bottom torx screws out of the door card, under the pocket. Youll see them when you have the seat base out.

And you need a fairly long reach screwdriver and a big chunky cross head for the bolts in the handle, theyre a long way in - 3normal size bit holders together kinda long.