First start of the day issue

Hi, I have a 2002 tdi 90 mk1.  Only had the car a couple of weeks and noticed that the first turn of the key every morning it has struggled to catch and start.  I put a new starter on which hasn't really helped, she turns over really quickly as expected and once it does fire after 5-6 seconds is lumpy for 1-2 seconds then fine, and then will start instantly everytime without fail.  I have put a Bluetooth code reader on and there are no codes etc.  I haven't changed the fuel filter yet but was thinking of starting there.  Any suggestions?

I recently had starting issues on my Saab- would take a bit longer then run lumpy. Replaced the leak back pipes from the injectors and all is well.

So does sound fuelling related.

I would start by checking all the fuel pipes in the engine bay for any signs of leaks or perishing then change the fuel filter. Has it been changed recently?

Hi, I have a 2002 tdi 90 mk1.  Only had the car a couple of weeks and noticed that the first turn of the key every morning it has struggled to catch and start.  I put a new starter on which hasn't really helped, she turns over really quickly as expected and once it does fire after 5-6 seconds is lumpy for 1-2 seconds then fine, and then will start instantly everytime without fail.  I have put a Bluetooth code reader on and there are no codes etc.  I haven't changed the fuel filter yet but was thinking of starting there.  Any suggestions?

Would put money on it being glowplugs. When first starting when it finally catches is there a puff of greyish smoke out of the exhaust? If there is, it is probably a bit of unburnt fuel, hence the glow plug diagnosis. For the price of them I'd do all 4 and see if that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

managed to just get the glo plugs swapped over looking at them I would say they were ready to come out!!!!! shall see what happen in the morning ......

20161007_201325_zpsrrdee8ho.jpg

What happened in the morning?? I ask as my Fabia has EML coming on with a code coming up for glow plug in cyl 3 so I am going to change them all and thought might as well do the Octavia's at same time as it's 15.5 years old now and does turn a few times before roaring into life with a wee puff of greyness. 

The plugs didn't make a great deal of difference what seems to have cured the issue so far was one of two things. I ran a tin of wynns engine flush and dropped the oil replacing it with a new oil filter and 5w30 fully synthetic halfords vw spec oil and also added some wyns xtreme diel clean to the fuel so far it's starting correctly first time. So either the oil was stinking dirty and the wrong grade or the diesel clean has cleaned the injectors ill keep an eye on it but it's fine at the moment. I never had any engine lights or fault codes

Have you changed the fuel filter?

Also check all the diesel hoses for signs of perishing as they could be letting in air.

I want to do this myself, do you have any ideas how to get the rubber hoses to attach/detach from the hard line part? I'm wary of the houses fowling the IC pipe if left ad rubber line only.