proMotor VRS Spacesaver

Hi,

I've just bought a second hand VRS 230 and am looking to buy a Spacesaver wheel for it as unfortunately it didn't come with one.  The official Skoda part looks to be about £300 so I am looking at cheaper alternatives.  For various reasons, I want a Spacesaver that fits in the wheel well without protruding, rather than a full size alloy.

I've found an option made by proMotor which is only £109, see here  I just wondered if anyone had any experience of this wheel?  I'm sure it fits on the car fine but it would be nice to know for sure that it fits properly in the wheel well.  I can't find any details about the width of this wheel to compare it with the official part.  I plan to buy the Skoda toolkit and put this inside the wheel, so I'm also interested to hear how well this fits?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi,

I've just bought a second hand VRS 230 and am looking to buy a Spacesaver wheel for it as unfortunately it didn't come with one. The official Skoda part looks to be about £300 so I am looking at cheaper alternatives.

Thanks,

Mike

£300? The option for a spare wheel is just £100. I can't believe adding it afterwards costs three times that?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've just bought a second hand VRS 230 and am looking to buy a Spacesaver wheel for it as unfortunately it didn't come with one.  The official Skoda part looks to be about £300 so I am looking at cheaper alternatives.  For various reasons, I want a Spacesaver that fits in the wheel well without protruding, rather than a full size alloy.

I've found an option made by proMotor which is only £109, see here  I just wondered if anyone had any experience of this wheel?  I'm sure it fits on the car fine but it would be nice to know for sure that it fits properly in the wheel well.  I can't find any details about the width of this wheel to compare it with the official part.  I plan to buy the Skoda toolkit and put this inside the wheel, so I'm also interested to hear how well this fits?

Thanks,

Mike

Can I ask did you get this, as I'm thinking of getting one myself. Cheers.

Does it fit into the boot with the foam part removed? Also did you buy the Tool Kit, as this says its for pre MK3 VRS I believe. I could be wrong though. 

Just so confused what to do, as like you I purchased a second hand VRS a month ago without a spare in the boot, and I'm looking to buy a spacesaver. 

Thanks to the great tip above, I bought a second hand VW 18" spacesaver off ebay. It was only £50 so a good bit cheaper.

Any 5x112 VAG spacesaver will fit.

My spacesaver fits into the wheel well but the foam that houses the tools etc is for a 16" full size wheel (at least the one I have is) but it all fits fine.  I'll grab a picture if you like.

Any 5x112 18" space saver will work from the VAG group, I found one in a scrappy from an R32 Golf.  Think it was £50 from memory.

So any 18" VW Spacesaver will also fit correct?

Is there a foam insert for the boot also needing purchased?

You'll need to make sure the 18" space saver wheel will fit the MKIII 230 Vrs.This is due to the Brake Disc/Calliper size on the front. A MKII Vrs space saver wheel might not fit.

Just a thought.

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

I have a 2013 VRS so I understand the calipers on the front are bigger. I have ordered a VW SpaceSaver brand new including kit for £120 which I felt was a good price delivered.

Could you take a picture of your foam insert in the boot please. Mine is split into separate compartments so I think the whole foam insert will need removed. I imagine underneath is the screw hold to secure the wheel?

I have a 2013 VRS so I understand the calipers on the front are bigger. I have ordered a VW SpaceSaver brand new including kit for £120 which I felt was a good price delivered.

Could you take a picture of your foam insert in the boot please. Mine is split into separate compartments so I think the whole foam insert will need removed. I imagine underneath is the screw hold to secure the wheel?

Mine looks like this one   http://www.skodaparts.com/product/octavia-spare-wheel-set-15-2004-2013-31576

Underneath ( on the boot floor ) is a slot in which the threaded bolt is inserted so the whole lot can be held in place by the large plastic nut

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

I purchased a 18" Audi/VW one, exactly the same as this one. Can confirm it fits in the boot space, but I haven't had a min to try it on the VRS. I assume going off all advice I have gathered, it will fit. Thats a good price for that one if you can pick it up. 

The one I got didn't come with the securing screw that goes into the centre of the space saver, does anyone know where I could purchase or get one from? 

I purchased a 18" Audi/VW one, exactly the same as this one. Can confirm it fits in the boot space, but I haven't had a min to try it on the VRS. I assume going off all advice I have gathered, it will fit. Thats a good price for that one if you can pick it up. 

The one I got didn't come with the securing screw that goes into the centre of the space saver, does anyone know where I could purchase or get one from?

Managed to get it for £40, a bit of a bargain I think, going to order the tool kit from Skoda now