I've just bought an Octavia SE Sport. For me, an SE with extras for a mid-life crises. Lovely really, except for the sports seats that are killing my back. Clearly not designed for the 50 plus. I feel a bit of a ninny now for not having properly tested them. Skoda Stirling quoted me over £4K to replace the seats with new SE standard ones. Yes folks, that's four grand ????. I've bought excellent replacement standard Mk 3 SE seats from a breakers yard for a fraction of that with intact airbags but not sure if I should try to fit them myself. Is it a diy job? Might I invalidate the warranty? If I was to get a dealer or authorised garage to swap them over, how much would be reasonable? Questions questions. For sure, my back is aching as is my wife's. She has rheumatoid arthritis which adds to my overall sense of stupidity for going for sports seats in the first place. I have established that the part number for standard and sports seats is the same, so the frame is the same, only the configuration of cushioning differs. Should be a simple case of one out one in. Advice would be really appreciated on how I best fit these new seats. Many thanks.

Just removing them yourself, just undo the 4 10mm spline bolts and unplug the airbag connectors and remove you sport seats and replace with your standard SE ones. Just dont start or have your key in the ignition with the airbag connectors disconnected otherwise you will get a airbag warning light.

Not sure they will feel massively different, they are almost the same seat. Just the backrest on the sports seat has the integrated headrest.

Let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

I was having major problems with the vRS seats for a while. Seemed to be because because they were slightly to narrow at the back for me, combined with the leg bolster putting pressure on my leg.

Now, not wanting to have to sell the car because of this, I tried one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XXZ6CHE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Such a difference, like Night and Day. Now I can do 3-4 hundred mile drives without problem. Just allows my body to find a position in the seat.

Now just need to dye the cushion black to fit the vRS interior.

Edited by WayTooTall

Thanks for the replies folks.  Thanks for the advice on the diy approach Wiilydog.  It sounds like it should be straightforward.  Should I disconnect the battery to be sure about avoiding the warning light and should I tighten the bolts to a particular torque?  Don't want me and the seats flying out of the front window in the event of an emergency stop like a fighter pilot ejector scenario  :sweat:.  My previous car was also an Octavia mk3 and the seats were night and day compared to the sports seats.  I agree that they can't be hugely different structurally, but they feel completely different - my prev car was an S model so no lumbar adjustment but still much more comfortable.  Thanks again everyone.

40nm torque on the front seat bolts. I used some threadlock just to be sure they wouldnt move.

I would disconnect the battery when doing anything with airbags. It wont cause any problems but be aware that he dash will light up with multiple warnings once you reconnect the battery but they will all extinguish after a few seconds.