Driveline noise when reversing?

ronime

My Citigo is almost two years old now and has just over 4,500 miles on the clock. It has recently developed a new noise.

When driving in reverse gear, if you lift off the loud pedal and/or depress the clutch pedal a clattering/chattering sound can be heard. Louder on the on the overrun than with the clutch disengaged. Seems to be coming from the driveline/transmission. No noise if just rolling backwards down a gradient in neutral.

Anyone else experienced a similar noise on their Citigo and had it fixed?

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Service performed last Friday. D.M Keith had no idea what was causing the driveline noise so they have asked Skoda Technical department to advise.

They claimed that other Ciigos off their pitch made a similar noise, which I don't doubt. but my Citigo didn't make this noise until recently. The noise is also apparent to a lesser degree in the first three forward gears. Personally, I think that there is too much end float on one of the shafts in the gearbox, possibly due to a failing thrust bearing.

• 10 months later...

Unsurprisingly, no contact from Skoda U.K. or their appointed representatives.

Does anyone know if there are any Technical Service Bulletins or other well-known service procedures relating to adjustment of the gear selector linkages? I have a suspicion that when then the driveline is rattling that reverse gear has not been properly selected or that the cables are a bit tight and when the engine/transmission rocks on its mountings it is tending to pull it out of gear.

Shifter cables are quite easy to adjust. If memory serves there is no need to lock the lever on transmission when we are talking about Citigo's gearbox. Actually there is no locking device on gearbox. Just lock the shifter inside the car. Well that's how it was last time I adjusted cables. I don't have manufacturers info available at the moment.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Emil said:

Shifter cables are quite easy to adjust. If memory serves there is no need to lock the lever on transmission when we are talking about Citigo's gearbox. Actually there is no locking device on gearbox. Just lock the shifter inside the car. Well that's how it was last time I adjusted cables. I don't have manufacturers info available at the moment.

Excellent! Thanks for this, much appreciated. :thumbup: