"Sporty" trim like AMG, S-Line and now ST Line

Captain Sisko

A mate calls the non performance variants with badges 'shopping trollies in drag'

I'm not a fan tbh, I have no issue with a different trim levels but why pretend its a sporty version? It just devalues the real sports variants imo.

I'm a big fan of the new Fiesta ST, I would like to swap SWMBO's R56 Mini Cooper for one soon, last time I was in the local Ford dealership however there were 3 1.0 Ecoboost 'ST Line' Fiestas but no real ST. It just annoyed me as they are masquerading as something they are not, especially annoying was the spotty oik of a salesman trying to tell me that it was 'just as good' as the ST, no...

A mate calls the non performance variants with badges 'shopping trollies in drag'

I'm not a fan tbh, I have no issue with a different trim levels but why pretend its a sporty version? It just devalues the real sports variants imo.

If a M3 etc look exactly the same as a 3 Series M Sport then I could understand but they still look different, the majority of them do, I'd not confine 'sporty looks' to cars with the most powerful motor. 

Having more show than go in a stylee way is not the pith take it is using the Small or not so Small 's' S-Line,'r' 'R-Line, st, 'm' etc to cash in on those that are the performance versions.

But then those with the actual performance models can always de-badge or not if they are bothered.

At least Cupra has so far been what people expect them to be, and FR is what they are, FR trim and plastic tat / decals.

Edited by Offski

A smart car is a nice thing imho, but I'm not worried if people think I am driving around in a 116D instead of a M135, in fact I had my car debadged, so most people will think it's a base model M-Sport. My last car - Merc C350CDi AMG Sport+ (and breathe - stupid long name for a car model) was debadged also. Apart from the extra exhaust pipe, it looked no different to the base 2.1 diesel version, similarly with my debadged A4 3.0 TDi S-Line. I buy the car because I like it and it's in my price bracket, the name or model on the boot lid doesn't bother me in the slightest. Sadly I can't afford the RS models i would like or the M3/4 etc, so the next sportiest version is often a good compromise for me, it just happens that there is this marketing spiel that uses terms like M-Sport of AMG line or S-Line and so on to describe the step down version I end up with.

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

I wonder, how would others feel about the Citroen ZX Elation then?

Based on a basic 1.4 petrol or 1.9 non-turbo diesel.

Inch-up wheels with 175/65R14s (rather than 155/80R13), "sports bumpers and exhaust" like the Furio, Volcane and 16V, and also had front fog lights, metallic paint, PAS and electric tilt and slide sunroof.

I wonder, how would others feel about the Citroen ZX Elation then?

Based on a basic 1.4 petrol or 1.9 non-turbo diesel.

Inch-up wheels with 175/65R14s (rather than 155/80R13), "sports bumpers and exhaust" like the Furio, Volcane and 16V, and also had front fog lights, metallic paint, PAS and electric tilt and slide sunroof.

Sounds like a good spec, stupid name...

I think that sports bumpers & other trim items from the top end versions fitted to a low spec car can look very good etc. Front fogs, PAS, metallic paint etc I consider "normal items".

What really grates are stupid big alloys (with small brakes) & stupid big exhausts with multiple real &/or fake outlets on both sides......diesel Octavia VRS, Golf gti/R, Clio RS, to name a few.

I prefer a single sided exhaust & exits both sides should be "V" engines only due to the mechanics of it!

Also the marketing men, so we have top end "R" so we want to see a sporty styling package lets make it similar to confuse etc so call it R-line...S-line (S).....just call it sports or styling package!! aaarrggghhhh!!!!

I see BMW M & Merc AMG used on all the various trim bits, with the car ending up cluttered with logos everywhere, that gets my goat, excessive branding. However I can se the dilemma as those items are "M" & "AMG" & can be fitted to any other trim spec car.

As for badges on the rear I have debaged the last three cars I have had, way to much to clean around & some manufactures are going back to the 80's with badges for every option...

Landrover disco 4 says "Discovery 4      SDV6 HSE"............remember CD & ABS on the Vauxhalls?

Edited by fabdavrav

Landrover disco 4 says "Discovery 4      SDV6 HSE"............remember CD & ABS on the Vauxhalls?

I can remember seeing "5-Speed" as a badge on some.

But  it's marketing, if the demand was for plain sleepers that's what they'd make but right now most people seem to want to to shoult about their bling.

I'd rather have a sleeper.

car_photo_347119.jpg?itok=nxLzknWA

Pipe and slippers with a 500hp V8

• Like 3

I think we pretty much agree; now what was that Japanese car that had a name and options list that was about wider than the car?

I remember the early MR2's had the writing which just touched under the numberplate from both sides

I'd buy a Mercedes 'Pipe and Slipper' model if it had a V8 :)

they did one .....

Have seen these in the flesh...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_450SEL_6.9

6.9lt V8 in a 450 SEL, looks fairly plain Jane & NO AMG badging..........

But  it's marketing, if the demand was for plain sleepers that's what they'd make but right now most people seem to want to to shoult about their bling.

I'd rather have a sleeper.

Same here.  I've always preferred to have a car that goes well but may not look anything special.  I really can't see the point of having a car that looks fast if it isn't.  Having said that, a large percentage of people who drive aren't really into cars so it won't bother them in the slightest, as they are more about the look rather than the performance.  I noticed this on a recent trip to Meadowhall. 

Whilst enduring the hell that is a shopping centre car park, I noticed a few Fiestas, Corsas, Insignias etc that had these kits on.  I Googled the trim on a couple and found out that despite looking reasonably sporty, the Corsa parked opposite with the VX-Line trim had a mighty 74bhp.  Having recently owned a genuine VXR with over 280bhp, this doesn't sit well with me.  The Insignia VX-Line next to me had 134bhp despite the 19" wheels and all the added body kit.  I guess it's no skin off my nose if these cars exist but I've never been into fakes or things/people purporting to be something they clearly aren't.  

The Insignia VX-Line next to me had 134bhp despite the 19" wheels and all the added body kit.  

Big FO wheels & puny brakes, really annoying.......besides slowing the car down they have ruined the handling also, they would get better ride, grip, handling with a narrower (smaller alloy) & lighter wheel, but it's all about looks init?.........

Just sell the fecking car with the obligatory baseball cap to be worn backwards & fully admit that's your chosen market!!!

• Like 1

The 'Rally Inspired' Mk2 Fabia Monte Carlo with no more than 105ps (some dyno to a bit more as legend tells) was turned out with rear drum brakes which was OK really 

considering that they stop the car as well as the crappy discs on the Mk2 vRS.

Giving the drums a decent protective coating at around 3 Euro a time max that might have had them not covered in cosmetic rust before they were delivered in some cases might have been an idea though.

• Like 1

'Simply Clever',

Skoda turns it all on its head by producing a model that has go and gives it a name that sounds as though it is just a sporty trim level Special.

:D  At least the 276bhp and 5.8sec 0-60 will make up for it.

• Like 2

:D  At least the 276bhp and 5.8sec 0-60 will make up for it.

Not quite right ...

Read the article, "Sportline spec can be specced on any engine above 148BHP". I just checked the Skoda UK site & yes you can spec a 1.4TSI 150PS with sportline spec.

Ok I have sports suspension (GTi/Clubsports front ARB) on my GT, but 19" alloys on a 1.4?? I have 17" lightweight British made race wheels. 

Like I said before big wheels tiny brakes (as very good chance of 288MM discs which I have as similar engine), (I am upgrading to the GTI spec 312mm discs as I have cooked the 288mm discs!)

But they were driving the one they were driving which is not the one you mention.

So it's not a heavy one with the power as on your Golf estate.

Skoda Superb weights from 1.4TSI 150PS Hatch to top end 4w4 estate range from 1320kg to 1560kg

My Golf estate is 1354kg.

Like I say you can order the "Sportline" on a 1.4TSI 150PS & you are very likely to get 288mm front discs which look soo chav behind 19" alloys.

I thought the Superb was for a more refined market, looks like they are trying to cheapen it.

Chav it up! Good stuff a nippy petrol Airport Transporter.

Cant wait for the All New Yeti replacement when it comes and the traditionalists are not interested and the new section will be a bit livelier maybe.

Skoda might even do a Chavved up version of it eventually.