Dash cam self-install: DDPai M6+

I've been thinking about getting a dash cam for a while and was inspired to have a go at hardwiring one myself by Aurial's excellent guide. I mounted it behind the left hand side of the rear view mirror.  It's just to the left of the sensor for the auto-dimming mirror, so doesn't block the sensor. Thankfully it doesn't seem to have affected the auto-dimming at all (the small size and lack of built-in screen probably helps).

I bought a set of plastic 'trim removal tools' to safely remove the plastic panel at the side of the glovebox.  The same tools very also useful to help push the cable into the gap at the top of the windscreen and route it along the top of the a-pillar and down the rubber seal to the panel at the side of the glovebox area.  I bought a DDPai hardwire kit designed to work with this camera. It apparently has a (non-configurable) low voltage / battery protection feature, but I wired it in to a switched live fuse (rear wiper) as per Aurial's guide, as I didn't really want parking mode anyway.

In total, it took me about 30 minutes to install and it was pretty easy.  The only slight trickies were:

• Replacing the glovebox - reattaching the little arm at the side was a pain and it kept coming off somehow as I tried to reattach the glovebox. Now I've done it once, I'm sure I could do it again easily enough.
  • Crimping the add-a-fuse connector onto the red wire from the hardwire PSU/kit. It would be easier with a proper crimping tool, I'm sure, but I used what I had available... which didn't include a crimping tool. ;)

Here are some pics of the finished install:

It's quite subtle-looking and despite the red ring around the lens; you struggle to make it out from outside the car, especially on a bright day like today:

IMG 3833

Another shot from outside the car:

IMG 3834

Side-view of the install. It's quite discreet despite the slightly 'bling' shiny deep purple plastic casing. My wife didn't notice it from the front passenger seat until I pointed it out.  :)

IMG 3836

Another shot from the side. There's only about 5cm of cable (inc plug) visible after the install - all the rest is hidden:

IMG 3837

You can't see it at all while driving really - you can just see the top of the mount and cable:

IMG 3838

I'm quite pleased with the end result and the quality of videos from the M6+ are very good imho.  I ordered a CPL filter with the camera but haven't installed it yet.  

If you're interested to find out more about this camera, there's a good review of the DDPai M6+ by Techmoan on Youtube.  It's perhaps worth mentioning that mph speed overlay is now available as an option (I don't think it was available when Techmoan made his review video). You can also turn off speed overlay altogether if you don't want it on your videos.

I can post/pm Amazon.co.uk links to everything I ordered, if anybody wants them. Total cost was about £130, including the hardwire kit, add-a-fuse thingey, trim tools, etc.

Looks good, did mine today using the same method to wire in to the fuse box.  I totally agree with how fiddley the glove box was to replace!  

Which camera did you go for? I nearly went mad trying to choose one as there are so many options and all of them have significant pros/cons...

Which camera did you go for? I nearly went mad trying to choose one as there are so many options and all of them have significant pros/cons...

I only got a cheapy 20 quid Lanka camera, but it is surprisingly good! 

Cool. Yeah, the cheaper end of the market seems to be improving much faster than the expensive end. The premium brands like Blackvue and Thinkware are now looking very expensive for the image quality that they offer, I reckon. I can't judge the longevity of mine yet, of course, but if I have to replace it in a year or two, it won't be the end of the world.

How are you getting on with the M6? I have a mini 0805 at the moment but it requires a lot of babying to keep working. The next base 512g in the Fabia just keeps plugging away but is large and difficult for a discreet install.

I have been looking at the M6 but not yet decided

How are you getting on with the M6? I have a mini 0805 at the moment but it requires a lot of babying to keep working. The next base 512g in the Fabia just keeps plugging away but is large and difficult for a discreet install.

I have been looking at the M6 but not yet decided

So far, so good, but tbh I've only had it fitted for a week so far.  I'm impressed with the video quality but I've never had another dashcam, so can't compare it to anything.  It's certainly far better than the majority of YouTube dashcam footage, but you never know how much is lost by the uploading/storing/streaming process, so it's perhaps an unfair comparison.

Only minor quibble so far is that it's a bit annoying that the "Hello! Ding Ding Pai!" startup sound doesn't seem to be affected by the volume control in the app (the 'gps connected' Chinese speech can be turned down, as well as the shutdown jingle - it's just the startup sound which seems immune to volume settings)... it seems that it's on or off.  

I think I'm going to have to turn it off (and potentially run the risk of not realising when it's not starting up properly) because the novelty is wearing thin.  It's a minor complaint though, really.  It's the video that counts, of course. :)

Now that I have reviewed a decent amount of footage including some taken on bright days, I can see the use in the CPL filter for removing reflections of the vents at the far front of the dash, so I'll probably fit the filter this weekend if I get chance.

Looks good! and a camera with a very good spec. However, "IF" I am reading your install description correctly? You appear to have run the power cable across the top of the "A" pillar. From the windscreen side of the pillar, to the side where the rubber door seal is. Is this correct?

If you have, then you have very possibly compromised the curtain air bags by crossing the Air bag, which runs partway down that pillar, with the power cable. You might want to re-route it for safety's sake.

Just in case it helps, It is possible to run the cable down the front (by the windscreen) and route the cable through the gap at the base of that pillar. The cable then pops out just to the right of the fuse assembly and behind the fuse assembly door hatch. By routing it thus, you will avoid the cable crossing the air bag.

I have attached a picture of the air bag location for you to see what I am speaking of. My thanks to another member here at Briskoda for the original picture which was used to show the routing of the Panoramic Sun Roof's drain tubes. I hope this helps you and others here................Tony

SORRY! - Just read your signature - You are driving an Octavia. My comments are for the Yeti model and possibly do not apply to the Octavia. However it would be prudent to check the location of the curtain air bag if one is fitted to the Octavia. My apologies for my error.............Tony

post-62225-0-91539600-1477655097_thumb.jpg

Edited by Great Yeti
  • Like 1

Looks good! and a camera with a very good spec. However, "IF" I am reading your install description correctly? You appear to have run the power cable across the top of the "A" pillar. From the windscreen side of the pillar, to the side where the rubber door seal is. Is this correct?

If you have, then you have very possibly compromised the curtain air bags by crossing the Air bag, which runs partway down that pillar, with the power cable. You might want to re-route it for safety's sake.

Just in case it helps, It is possible to run the cable down the front (by the windscreen) and route the cable through the gap at the base of that pillar. The cable then pops out just to the right of the fuse assembly and behind the fuse assembly door hatch. By routing it thus, you will avoid the cable crossing the air bag.

I have attached a picture of the air bag location for you to see what I am speaking of. My thanks to another member here at Briskoda for the original picture which was used to show the routing of the Panoramic Sun Roof's drain tubes. I hope this helps you and others here................Tony

SORRY! - Just read your signature - You are driving an Octavia. My comments are for the Yeti model and possibly do not apply to the Octavia. However it would be prudent to check the location of the curtain air bag if one is fitted to the Octavia. My apologies for my error.............Tony

I would be very interested to know if the Octavia III has a similar arrangement, as I expect that blocking an airbag would be a very bad idea.

Great Yeti - I would correct to assume that the curtain airbag is the white thing running along the lower edge of the pillar in the photo?

I would be very interested to know if the Octavia III has a similar arrangement, as I expect that blocking an airbag would be a very bad idea.

Great Yeti - I would correct to assume that the curtain airbag is the white thing running along the lower edge of the pillar in the photo?

I completely agree that blocking the airbag, in any way! is a seriously bad idea!!

From what I have been able to ascertain. Many new cars have "Curtain Airbags" installed and it is common for them to pass partway down the "A" pillar. A good friend of mine who has fairly recent Octavia tells me his vehicle has just such an arrangement as regards the curtain airbag!

Just for clarification, I have inserted an arrow to show the airbag I was referring to. (The picture is of the Yeti "A" pillar and the airbag in question) Quite clearly, running anything, such as a cable, across the face of the air bag location would potentially compromise it's operation. Were the cable strong enough, whatever was attached to it (camera etc) could quite possibly become a projectile hazard in the event that the air bag should deploy. Being yet another reason NOT to route cables across this location! Anyone who has been fortunate to watch, in person, as I have, the testing of air bags. Will readily tell you of the explosive force which is generated, and that it is not to be underestimated!. 

post-62225-0-73395800-1477869084_thumb.jpg

Thanks both.  I fear you're correct.  In previous VAG cars that I've used with an airbag in the A pillar, there's an 'AIRBAG' badge on the pillar... but looking in the A7 Octavia manual last night, it looks like the 'head airbag system' runs like a curtain from midway up the A-pillar across the top of the windows all the way to the C-pillar (pages 18 and 19 for those who want to check).  

The notes in the manual explain that the head airbag system is present if there is an AIRBAG badge at the top of the B-pillar, which is indeed the case on my car. :(

So I'll definitely need to reroute the cable - hopefully down the windscreen edge down the side of the A-pillar, then across the bottom next to the dash (rather than crossing the top of the A-pillar).

Thanks again for the tip.  I agree that putting something in the way of an airbag is a very bad idea - both because it'll potentially compromise the effectiveness of the airbag and because you might end up with a wire forcefully thrust into your head, if god forbid it ever activates.

Edited by GainfulShrimp

Glad it helped in some small way  :thumbup:

I wonder just how many others have done the same - quite a few, I guess  :(  :@  

Best regards..............Tony

I've been thinking about getting a dash cam for a while and was inspired to have a go at hardwiring one myself by Aurial's excellent guide. I mounted it behind the left hand side of the rear view mirror.  It's just to the left of the sensor for the auto-dimming mirror, so doesn't block the sensor. Thankfully it doesn't seem to have affected the auto-dimming at all (the small size and lack of built-in screen probably helps).

I bought a set of plastic 'trim removal tools' to safely remove the plastic panel at the side of the glovebox.  The same tools very also useful to help push the cable into the gap at the top of the windscreen and route it along the top of the a-pillar and down the rubber seal to the panel at the side of the glovebox area.  I bought a DDPai hardwire kit designed to work with this camera. It apparently has a (non-configurable) low voltage / battery protection feature, but I wired it in to a switched live fuse (rear wiper) as per Aurial's guide, as I didn't really want parking mode anyway.

In total, it took me about 30 minutes to install and it was pretty easy.  The only slight trickies were:

• Replacing the glovebox - reattaching the little arm at the side was a pain and it kept coming off somehow as I tried to reattach the glovebox. Now I've done it once, I'm sure I could do it again easily enough.
  • Crimping the add-a-fuse connector onto the red wire from the hardwire PSU/kit. It would be easier with a proper crimping tool, I'm sure, but I used what I had available... which didn't include a crimping tool. ;)

Here are some pics of the finished install:

It's quite subtle-looking and despite the red ring around the lens; you struggle to make it out from outside the car, especially on a bright day like today:

Another shot from outside the car:

Side-view of the install. It's quite discreet despite the slightly 'bling' shiny deep purple plastic casing. My wife didn't notice it from the front passenger seat until I pointed it out.  :)

Another shot from the side. There's only about 5cm of cable (inc plug) visible after the install - all the rest is hidden:

You can't see it at all while driving really - you can just see the top of the mount and cable:

I'm quite pleased with the end result and the quality of videos from the M6+ are very good imho.  I ordered a CPL filter with the camera but haven't installed it yet.  

If you're interested to find out more about this camera, there's a good review of the DDPai M6+ by Techmoan on Youtube.  It's perhaps worth mentioning that mph speed overlay is now available as an option (I don't think it was available when Techmoan made his review video). You can also turn off speed overlay altogether if you don't want it on your videos.

I can post/pm Amazon.co.uk links to everything I ordered, if anybody wants them. Total cost was about £130, including the hardwire kit, add-a-fuse thingey, trim tools, etc.

To stop the damper from falling out when replacing glove box, stick a piece of electric tape over the slot hole at the top. 

Just wanted to thank Great Yeti and Elbow for the air-bag advice again. I've now re-routed the cable down the edge of the windscreen and via the (very tight!) gap between the side of the dash and the bottom of the a-pillar. The wire is still hidden away, so I'm happy.

I didn't remove the a-pillar trim completely, but used a trim tool to move the trim enough to have a peek inside the top... the white concertina-folds of the airbag were clearly visible going several inches down the top of the a-pillar, so it was definitely a good shout to avoid routing accessory cables over that area!

And thanks Vak for the glovebox damper tip - I'll bear that in mind next time as my trial and error method involved replacing the damper and starting again about six times: a tad frustrating. ;)

I'm still quite happy with the camera btw. I tend to forget it's there most of the time.