Decision time

Hello all, after spending 4 years with my Octy vRS CR DSG I swapped to a Honda CRV and, 18 months down the line, I'm ready to get back to VAG.  After looking at Fabia's and really struggling to find what I want, I've come across a couple of Rapid Spaceback SE 1.6 CR DSG's and a 1.4 TSi SE DSG.

I love the torque of diesel and the more relaxed drive when on longer runs but, for my daily commute of 10 miles a petrol would be better although my Octy CR was always fine so ............... the age old question which is really down to personal choice at the end of the day, what differences would I see and what recommendations, advice etc does anyone have?

Edited by alkip

Got a 2016 Rapid Spaceback SE Sport in Red - 1.4TDI

Go for the highest spec car you can if going for a Rapid Spaceback as the lower trims are not that great IMO.

Ours has been faultless to a certain degree, drives well, good MPG, looks nice, nice build quality.

As much as we like ours, i would look at a Fabia Estate Monte Carlo with most options ticked if i was to order again.

I have the 1.6 TDI some 20 months now, I have done about 13k miles, so far so good.

I would suggest you to go for the TDI if you have a heavy right foot. The TSI burns a lot of fuel when pushed.

Do aim for the highest trim, as Rick said. Oh, and bear in mind that the 1.4 TDI is a lot different from the older 1.6 TDI. I haven't driven the former, but I think that the 1.6 TDI is a proven good workhorse (minus the dieselgate scandal hehe).

Cheers Guys, Rick I was reading your thread when you got your 1.4, made for interesting reading.

All the ones I've shortlisted are Spacebacks and, I've found a 1.6 CR DSG Elegance spaceback with the older stereo in (I really dislike the touch screen ones like I have in my CRV and had in my vRS).

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be back :)

Just swapped from a petrol Spaceback to a TDI Toledo and only for economy; work is now forty miles away.

Would have been more than happy to stay with the TSI otherwise.

As others have said look for the highest spec you can find in your budget and I'd recommend considering the Seat offering; ours has a better level of kit than any UK spec Skoda version.

TP

I've got the 1.2 110 SE Sport and i'm enjoying it.  I'm averaging 41mpg and do a similar 10 mile journey each day.  I've had it for since Jan and its just had its first service.  Its been faultless for me.  I think the 1.4TSI engine is only available on the older models as I don't recall it being an option for me.  The interior is a nice place to be with the seats in the sport.