Automatic air recirculation - Automatic recirculated air mode on/off

As above. What parameters drive the automatic recirculation? In my Hyundai Coupe SIII it was detection of hydrocarbons i.e. traffic fumes. The Skoda manual does not elaborate when it might happen.

Found. This in the skoda app

Automatic activation/deactivation of the air recirculation

Climatronic may have an air quality sensor for the detection of the pollutant concentration in the sucked-in air.

If a considerable increase in concentration of pollutants is recognised by the air quality sensor, the recirculated air mode will be switched on automatically.

When the pollutant concentration decreases to the normal level, the recirculated air mode is automatically switched off.

The automatic activation/deactivation of the air recirculation can be activated or deactivated in the Infotainment Infotainment operating instructions, chapter Vehicle settings .

WARNING

The recirculation system cannot be switched on for a longer period of time, because there is no supply of fresh air from the outside. “Stale air” may result in fatigue in the driver and occupants, reduce attention levels and also cause the windows to mist up. The risk of having an accident increases. Switch off recirculated air mode as soon as the windows start to mist up.

CAUTION

We recommend not smoking in the vehicle when the recirculating air operation is switched on. The smoke sucked from inside the vehicle is deposited on the evaporator of the air conditioner. This produces a permanent odour when the air conditioning system is operating which can only be eliminated through considerable effort and expense (replacement of compressor).

Note

The automatic activation/deactivation of the air recirculation with Climatronic only works if the outside temperature is higher than approx. 2 °C.

is the air entering from outside the car being filtered by the cabin air filter? 

after driving for half a year, i have never noticed this being done automatically:

If a considerable increase in concentration of pollutants is recognised by the air quality sensor, the recirculated air mode will be switched on automatically.

Isn't the pollen filter one with activated charcoal? There is one available as part number 1K1819653B. That should eliminate most smells, I have very good experiences with this from the A2.

- Bret

I wish I could activeate (with VCDS) the auto recirculation when the windscreen washer is active.

I hate the smell of the washer fluid in the cabin, especially in winter. :thumbdown:

Thanks, sounds a good idea when stuck behind a smoky diesel after they boot it.

If the air quality sensor that Skoda use is the same one that Audi use (it probably is) then my experience is that it detects unburnt hydrocarbons from petrol engined vehicles OK but is totally useless at detecting the smoke particles from an over-fuelled diesel.

That made auto recirc on my previous car of questionable value since you had to manually select recirc whenever behind a smoky diesel - so it's an option I would never pay extra for again.

I presume the recirculate light would come on when the system was triggered? I wouldn't pay for that either. SWMBO Getz has a chunky lever to select recirculate. Much easier than peering at low level buttons.

I presume the recirculate light would come on when the system was triggered? I wouldn't pay for that either. SWMBO Getz has a chunky lever to select recirculate. Much easier than peering at low level buttons.

Yes, the recirc light would come on when it triggered - so you could clearly see that it was unable to detect the smoky diesel.

Our Citroen C1 also has an easily visible manual recirc lever, the only downside is that it's easy to forget after dark as it's not illuminated and leave it in recirc.

If the air quality sensor that Skoda use is the same one that Audi use (it probably is) then my experience is that it detects unburnt hydrocarbons from petrol engined vehicles OK but is totally useless at detecting the smoke particles from an over-fuelled diesel.

That made auto recirc on my previous car of questionable value since you had to manually select recirc whenever behind a smoky diesel - so it's an option I would never pay extra for again.

Yes it is pretty useless to be honest. If i'm behind a bus or a smoky diesel I normally have to put it in recirc well in advance of stopping behind it to avoid the sickly diesel smell

I didn't know it was automatic as I always press the recirc button if needed.

Why have the button if it's automatic?, although the Skoda app says it MAY have a sensor.

Maybe only top end models have it?

I didn't know it was automatic as I always press the recirc button if needed.

Why have the button if it's automatic?, although the Skoda app says it MAY have a sensor.

Maybe only top end models have it?

On teh Superb at least the button has 3 positions if its got auto with 2 LEDs. OFF, RECIRC and AUTO. 

In older models even if it does not have full auto it may put it into recirc automatically when reversing like my Golf did