Genuine nav upgrade cheap on ebay

• 2 weeks later...

TMC cable runs over the passenger door under the rubber seal.

The switch settings are in the official fitting guide back in my previous post. 

Called Garmin this morning and got the free lifetime TMC activated.

On the drive home I was getting traffic updates in the local area showing where the queues were. Very useful.

Finally got round to fitting mine. Did you call them on the number on the back of the manual? also did you qoute them the id of the inbuilt reciever? On the nav its says to go to www.garmin.com/traffic but its rubbish.

Thanks for the routing formation but whats the resolution setting for the screen.

Its in the instructions, the link to the install guide is on an older post.

However the resolution is set by DIP switch One being ON, so in the DOWN position.

Finally got round to fitting mine. Did you call them on the number on the back of the manual? also did you qoute them the id of the inbuilt reciever? On the nav its says to go to www.garmin.com/traffic but its rubbish.

Use these instructions to activate the TMC.

http://kasc4.s8.novenaweb.info/files/file/UK/brochures/car/tmc/TMC-Act_090415.pdf

Basically you set up an online account with Garmin, call them 9-5pm weekdays, quote the email address you used, give them the unit ID no. from the Settings>Traffic>Subscriptions page, and they will activate, and send you an activation code to input.

Its completely free for the lifetime of the unit.

Use these instructions to activate the TMC.

http://kasc4.s8.novenaweb.info/files/file/UK/brochures/car/tmc/TMC-Act_090415.pdf

Basically you set up an online account with Garmin, call them 9-5pm weekdays, quote the email address you used, give them the unit ID no. from the Settings>Traffic>Subscriptions page, and they will activate, and send you an activation code to input.

Its completely free for the lifetime of the unit.

nice one. thanks

I've updated the software. I'm now trying to workout how to get newer maps. https://kenwood.garmin.com/kenwood/site/productUpdates none listed on kenwoods site.

Fitted my nav unit this morning.

Very easy DIY and took less than two hours to do. Just got to get the TMC activated tomorrow.

Thanks for the pointers members have posted in the thread.

I found a 30 second way of refitting the glove box damper and will post it up later.

Another question, sorry.

Map updates. Ok these are by SD card but do they have to be inserted in the nav unit only or can it be done using the SD slot on the Infotainment head unit in the glovebox as both units are linked together.

The map updates are applied using the SD card slot in the Kenwood Garmin Nav unit, not the glovebox SD slot. They aren't linked to that. Only the factory units use the glovebox SD slot.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok I got a VW one off ebay, so far as I can tell the only difference is the outer cardboard sleeve of the packaging...

Now to get a fabia extension wire.

Has anyone had any luck tracking down updated maps for these - apparently the Kenwood part is KNASD28E but its well over €120 anywhere I can find, which smarts a bit after paying for the unit - a new unit should at least come with the latest maps!

A bit more info on the Fabia post about this:

TBH I only use mine a couple of times a month, so I'm not worried about updates.

But I know what you mean, if you used it daily, you would want updated maps.

Isnt it just these City Navigator maps. Download to an SD card and pop in the SD card slot.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/c452-c454-p1.html

Edited by glosrich