Coops' First Road Bike

Coops

I do a bit of cycling already, not a massive amount and just on my MTB at the moment. A friend is persuading me to buy a road bike so here are my thoughts already:

Bike Size - probably need a large frame 58/60? I'm 6ft 2 with a 33 inch inside leg - does this sound right? 

Pedals - I have SPDs on my MTB so I'm guessing I can either buy some new pedals or swap them over to the road bike, short term?

Budget - It's a first road bike so I'm thinking £250-£350 ?

Research so far:

B'Twin Triban 500SE £299: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-id_8306187.html 

Verenti Technique £340: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-technique-claris-2016/

Vitus Razor £299: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-razor-road-bike-2016/rp-prod135380

All research is internet based so far but I will be visiting my local cycle shop when I get chance.

Would welcome any feedback.

Edited by Coops

size seems to very from manufacturer to manufacturer so best to try one on. I like the B'twin stuff, seems like really good value, Boardman seems good value as well.

I'm in the same boat but am looking at secondhand as I want something carbon fibre with a good groupset 

Good luck

Thanks Mike, my persuading friend has the B'Twin and it's a good bit of kit.

Have seen a Specialized Allez second hand but not sure about it.

All the three I've spec'd above have the Shimano Claris groupset, which seems ok by all accounts?

All the three I've spec'd above have the Shimano Claris groupset, which seems ok by all accounts?

I'm really out of touch regarding groupsets to be honest, I've seen a lot of second hand bikes that have barely been used, I fancy a boardman team carbon which is actually only £800 new now.

If your budget is 250 to 350 then secondhand is the way to go. There are hundreds of good bikes on the used market and you will be able to buy better than Claris with some decent wheels.

Bike sizing is crucial. Basic rule is as follows........you can adjust a small frame size to fit, but you cannot make a big frame smaller.

SPDs are fine on a road bike. In my view they are better than so called road bike pedals as you can actually walk around properly in SPD clad shoes! ( I have some spare spd pedals that you can have for free if you want them. Just pay postage. Message me if you want them).

Good luck

• Like 1

If you budget is £250-350 then I agree that second hand is the better option.

Shimano Claris is the bottom of the range - it will work absolutely fine, but if you can find a bike with, say, 105 running gear then it will be lighter and smoother.

Frame wise, I would suggest looking for aluminium frames - generally more forgiving than carbon fibre, and more likely to be within your budget. Size wise, a large might be fine but it will depend on brand and the style of the frame - definitely try before you commit.

I use Shimano Xtr SPDs on my road bike with no problems. For long rides, road pedals might be more comfortable (your shoe sits on a bigger platform so the pressure is spread out) however you them look like bambi on ice when you try and all anywhere.

If your budget is 250 to 350 then secondhand is the way to go. There are hundreds of good bikes on the used market and you will be able to buy better than Claris with some decent wheels.

Bike sizing is crucial. Basic rule is as follows........you can adjust a small frame size to fit, but you cannot make a big frame smaller.

SPDs are fine on a road bike. In my view they are better than so called road bike pedals as you can actually walk around properly in SPD clad shoes! ( I have some spare spd pedals that you can have for free if you want them. Just pay postage. Message me if you want them).

Good luck

Think it's going to be a long process!

Thank you for the generous offer, i will PM you.

My MTB pedals are double sided and yes i can walk properly in them.

• Like 1

If you budget is £250-350 then I agree that second hand is the better option.

Shimano Claris is the bottom of the range - it will work absolutely fine, but if you can find a bike with, say, 105 running gear then it will be lighter and smoother.

Frame wise, I would suggest looking for aluminium frames - generally more forgiving than carbon fibre, and more likely to be within your budget. Size wise, a large might be fine but it will depend on brand and the style of the frame - definitely try before you commit.

I use Shimano Xtr SPDs on my road bike with no problems. For long rides, road pedals might be more comfortable (your shoe sits on a bigger platform so the pressure is spread out) however you them look like bambi on ice when you try and all anywhere.

Thanks.

What's the view on carbon forks? A must?

In my view, carbon forks make the bike a bit more free to turn in and absorb bumps etc. I've had a few bikes in my time and have found the following out.

Full carbon bikes are expensive but if you do bigger rides, i.e. 50 miles upwards you'll feel much less ruined afterwards as opposed to a steel or ally frame.

Carbon forks make the bike nicer to attack corners and absorb bumps better.

Bike frame sizes all vary from maker to maker so get one to try size wise before you buy.

If you have up to 500 to spend then go secondhand as your money will go further.

A decent £40 saddle will benefit you in the short and long term, as will some proper spd sl pedals and shoes for road biking.

Finally, a decent set of wheels which should be specced on any 500 quid plus bike really with some decent conti/scwalbe/Michelin tyres.

Don't discount steel as a frame.

Both my road bikes are lightweight steel.

There may be some secondhand Genesis Equilibrium bike out there for sensible money.

In my opinion the Decathlon bike is the best bike in your list, I had a previous model to that one (my 1st road bike) and covered around 4000miles in my 1st year commuting to work (in all weathers through the peak district).  Never had a puncture & only had to replace wear & tear items such as chain/brake blocks & cables.  

A couple of spokes broke in the rear wheel 1 week after the warranty ran out but the Sheffield store were happy to replace it Free Of Charge  :thumbup:

- actually on offer at Halfrauds at the moment for £399!

Noticed that yesterday but wasn't on my original list. Has carbon forks, still only Claris groupset (but that's ok I think) plus Mavic wheels.

I can actually get that for £360 with a discounted card so that's a lot of bike for the money.

Would I be too hasty in buying or will there be any better deals in Jan/Feb?

Have just seen that planetx are doing unbuilt versions of some of their bikes

I know it's over budget but its an awful lot of bike for £499.
CBUBPXLDNTIAG_P1.jpg?v=s

So long as the frame is straight when delivered, a bike can be built with some basic tools (and a couple of bike specific ones or use your local bike shop).

Its a great do it all bike

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBUBPXLDNTIAG/planet-x-london-road-shimano-tiagra-4700-disc-road-bike-(unbuilt)

Edited by DarkPeakCycles
  • Like 1

Have just seen that planetx are doing unbuilt versions of some of their bikes

I know it's over budget but its an awful lot of bike for £499. CBUBPXLDNTIAG_P1.jpg?v=s

So long as the frame is straight when delivered, a bike can be built with some basic tools (and a couple of bike specific or use your local bike shop).

Its a great do it all bikehttp://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBUBPXLDNTIAG/planet-x-london-road-shimano-tiagra-4700-disc-road-bike-(unbuilt)

I've been looking at this today to be honest. I'm after a cyclocross bike for winter commuting and wet rides. This is a lot of bike for the money as said, and I'm currently very tempted to snap this up and build it myself.

Coops, I actually have a trek 1.2 alpha that I currently have in the shed which I'm looking to move on and just so happens I'm in Leicester aswell! Pm me if you are interested

Thanks mattievrs - empty your inbox! Can't send you a PM.