New 'stat?

@Lee

Car; Fabia 1.9 TDi ATD

Symptom; Dash Temp gauge not getting up to the middle (90C?) mark even after a hard drive, cabin air not getting that warm.

Other factors; Grille cover fitted.

Thought the 'stat might be the issue. Confirmation required please as it's probably the cheapest/ easiest part to replace.

ECP have a Circoli one at < a tenner. Willing to remove and test the current one. (Pan of water and thermometer available)

Thanks in advance

A new ECP 'stat could be worse than your old one, it's pot luck.

My thinking was at £7.95 I could almost bin it and get an OE one from TPS if that was the issue.

Might just go to TPS anyway then.

Sounds exactly like a faulty thermostat going by your description.

This is what I posted in a recent thermostat thread, testing in a saucepan of water is not always 100% reliable:

I recently changed the thermostat on mine as it was running at 72c max, changing the thermostat fix the problem.

Out of interest I put the old thermostat in a saucepan of cold water and heated it up, using a digital thermometer I monitor the temp and the thermostat open and closed as it should (open at 87c), it has confused things a bit as I was expecting it to open early or get stuck but it did not, still not a big issue as the new thermostat has fixed the problem and the engine temp is now around 90c.

Had I taken the thermostat out to check it I would have been fooled into thinking it was ok when in fact it was faulty!

• Like 1

Which thermostat did you get in the end? Mine needs replacing!

I went for OEM from TPS.

It's a PITA to remove. I found that removing the vacuum reservoir helped (black spherical thing that looks like a ball-****). Top part will prize off but lower part is screwed on from behind. You'll need a 10mm ring spanner or a 3/8 drive socket for the 'stat housing.

• 4 weeks later...