DRL gremlin-any advice please...

psimon

After reading a number of article on this forum I decided to upgrade my DRLs for these http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT . I watched a video on youtube on how to change them and it was a satisfyingly easy job for someone with (ahem) limited technical ability.Straight change over ...everything fine. Looked very nice...brighter and cleaner.This afternoon I go to move the car and the DRLs are not functioning but there is no warning light either? I double checked that the drl option is enabled and then even replaced one bulb with the original but still nothing? I checked all the normal fuses(not the very large ones) and they were all ok..so a bit frustrated really and welcome any advice from the less inept! Many thanks

Update....if I move the light switch with to the left the DRLs work...is this normal as I assumed they worked with the "Auto function" too? With the DRLs only the front lights illuminate? Now one of the fog lights does not work (UK passenger side) swapped bulbs over and nothing..so not a problem with the bulb so a wiring or fuse fault. Is there a separate fuse for the passenger side foglight ? In my defense it is a Left hand drive car with the owners manual in a language I don't understand...so yes that will be my next purchase  :|

The DRL's only operate when either sidelights or dipped headlights are turned off. As soon as the lights are turned on the DR's go off.

DRL's also work when the switch is in 'Auto' mode, but as soon as the car turns on the dipped headlights they go out.

Trying disconnecting the battery, this has worked on the MkII Octavia when people have retrofitted LED's and come across issues.

It is possible to only have one fog light working, they double up as cornering lights. When dipped headlights are on and you either indicate or turn the steering when the fog light on that side turns on. Could it be this you are seeing?

Superb-DRL.jpg

Thanks very much for your helpful, and clear reply. I think that the problem (unfortunately)  may be me and my lack of understanding of how the lights actually work with the cornering lights etc! When I checked the lights ,post installation, the car was in a different position than when I checked them later so this may explain it as all the bulbs etc work. I will keep my eye on them today and if necessary will disconnect the battery as advised.Thanks again

• Like 1

Excellent video thanks. I learned a lot too from this and am now convinced that the car is ok and I am the problem  :D  As a newcomer I must say this is really a great and helpful forum  

• Like 1

The one element the video doesn't show is that when you put the car in reverse both cornering lights come on together. The idea here is that when reversing (and the front end swings out wide) the added light helps to illuminate low walls and bollards etc.

While I am in fact a "Robin" - I was a bit of a "Dodo" and a "Tit" over all this.

I was turning in front of a shop window (a day or two after getting the car) and saw a foglight on - when my foglights were turned off. "WTF?!" says me.

I drove up the road and pulled in on a straight stretch. Got out and saw both were off. I decided that my new car had an electrical problem and was totally ****ed off all day.

Then I read the manual and checked on some site called Briskoda......   :doh:

• Like 2

While I am in fact a "Robin" - I was a bit of a "Dodo" and a "Tit" over all this.

I was turning in front of a shop window (a day or two after getting the car) and saw a foglight on - when my foglights were turned off. "WTF?!" says me.

I drove up the road and pulled in on a straight stretch. Got out and saw both were off. I decided that my new car had an electrical problem and was totally ****ed off all day.

Then I read the manual and checked on some site called Briskoda......   :doh:

Indeed, life is fun.

Did anyone tell you to RTFM?

Never mind, I continue to discover that the manual / handbook does not cover all the intricate questions that will be answered here.

Enjoy!