Used vRS TDi (what to look for)

Hello!

I'm looking into buying a second hand vRS TDi - now that we got two kids, the Fabia or my wife's Fiesta just don't cut it.

Might be ideal for the city but during our last summer vacations it was clear from the get go that space would and is an issue.

At the moment I'm looking into an vRS TDi, Combi version and I was hoping if you could give me some pointers specific to this model to help me avoid buying a lemon.

Cheers

Edited by 32KOFDATA

You don't say if your buying new or second hand, but either way, these are solid cars that are screwed together well. Known problems (but not common) are water pumps sticking in the no flow position, new type pump used from 2014, so if car is used, make sure the temperature gauge settles at 90 degrees when the engine is hot, and that the gauge doesn't climb when the engine is under heavy load.  

Check the clutch travel and bite point, and listen for noises and or vibration when you change gear at high revs, any roughness in the clutch means the dual mass flywheel might be faulty, and or the clutch and release bearing.

Water collecting at the bottom of doors between the door seal and sill. Revised seals fitted to later cars.

Check the infotainment screen comes on withing 5 seconds of turning it on.

These are known but not common problems.

Edited by MoggyTech
  • Like 1

Looking for a used one hence the title of the post "Used vRS Tdi (what to look for)"  Will make it clear in the text too. 

As for the infotainment, apologies but I don't understand - if it doesn't turn on in 5 secs does that mean it has a fault?

Looking for a used one hence the title of the post "Used vRS Tdi (what to look for)"  Will make it clear in the text too. 

As for the infotainment, apologies but I don't understand - if it doesn't turn on in 5 secs does that mean it has a fault?

My bad, early morning no coffee  :D

Regarding the infotainment screen, if there's a long delay between switch on, and the screen displaying information, the screen and or control unit in the glovebox might be faulty.

• Like 1

Also make sure you dont pay over the odds for one.

They are heavily discounted new, so used prices should reflect this.

Also do you need diesel, they are only suitable for longer daily journeys or the DPF filter can block. 15k miles or more a year is roughly the break even for a diesel.

If not get one of the excellent petrol turbos, 1.2 1.4 or 2.0 vrs.

The May 2015 onwards infotainment (MIB 2)with the bigger screen is much better and quicker to respond.

• Like 1