Skoda Sound System activation with aftermarket headunit

This information could be helpful for those like me who have a DSP Sound System and want to install a new car stereo.

Normally the aftermarket Car Stereo Units aren't able to send the right commands to the can-bus in order activate the external amplifier.

For this reason there are some companies selling expensive can-bus adapters able to do this.

But if you follow this procedure it is not necessary.

1) disconnect the old Head Unit

2) disconnect the battery for at least 20 minutes (just the minus pole is enough)

3) connect the new Head Unit

4) connect the battery

After this the DSP Amplifier goes in a special mode were is switched on by the key-on can-bus message and switched off by the key-off can-bus message and doesn’t need the activation message sent by the original head unit.

I have tested this on my Skoda Superb 2012 with 12 channel DSP Sound System and it works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is it same for all kinds of skoda cars and aftermarket radio? 

Maybe it is different from other aftermarket radio. 

I have replaced the stock radio with an aftermarket radio seicane  S081690 together with the headunit, gps, dvd etc., it is basically a plug and play. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have replaced the stock radio with an aftermarket radio seicane  S081690 together with the headunit, gps, dvd etc., it is basically a plug and play. 

If you don't have the DSP Sound System it is, but if you have the DSP System (in my car the DSP external amplifer is located under the driver seat) you will need a radio unit able to activate the DSP through the Can-Bus or you have to do the steps explained in the first post.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 15:49, mspider65 said:

This information could be helpful for those like me who have a DSP Sound System and want to install a new car stereo...After this the DSP Amplifier goes in a special mode were is switched on by the key-on can-bus message and switched off by the key-off can-bus message and doesn’t need the activation message sent by the original head unit.

I have tested this on my Skoda Superb 2012 with 12 channel DSP Sound System and it works.

Here an update from Holland about this. Tried this method in a 2007 Octavia RS with the CANbus activated soundsystem amplifier. Even disconnected battery for an hour... No luck :(

Headunit Idoing ht0862 Android 8.0/4gb ram

IMG_20180820_141857.jpg

Edited by ScuderiaNL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I can confirm, that this way was successful for me. 

I bought android powered head unit supplied with harness and can bus decoder. After connecting all necessary, sound wouldn't work. After disconnecting baterry the head unit started to play.

1 minute ago, Jannet85 said:

I can confirm, that this way was successful for me. 

I bought android powered head unit supplied with harness and can bus decoder. After connecting all necessary, sound wouldn't work. After disconnecting baterry the head unit started to play.

BTW its 2010 118kw Škoda Superb combi. With amplifier.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/09/2018 at 21:46, ScuderiaNL said:

Here an update from Holland about this. Tried this method in a 2007 Octavia RS with the CANbus activated soundsystem amplifier. Even disconnected battery for an hour... No luck :(

Headunit Idoing ht0862 Android 8.0/4gb ram

Please help me if you have found a solution for the sound. We have the same octavia model and issue with sound with android installation. 

On 12/09/2018 at 21:46, ScuderiaNL said:

• 1 year later...

A bit of a thread dredge.  But I'm having the same issue.

Octavia 2 Scout with Audience Headunit and the factory amp under the passengers seat.  Installed an aftermarket android HU and everything works except sound.

I have volts AC on speaker outputs.  I have canbus control working for everything else (steering wheel buttons, steering angle etc). 
But I have no sound through the speakers.

Disconnecting the battery didn't help.  I've done that overnight.  Reconnecting the stock HU works fine.

Does anyone have a work-around, known working canbus adapter or other method that doesn't involve splicing 2 dozen wires?

• 7 months later...
On 12/12/2016 at 15:49, mspider65 said:

This information could be helpful for those like me who have a DSP Sound System and want to install a new car stereo.

Normally the aftermarket Car Stereo Units aren't able to send the right commands to the can-bus in order activate the external amplifier.

For this reason there are some companies selling expensive can-bus adapters able to do this.

But if you follow this procedure it is not necessary.

1) disconnect the old Head Unit

2) disconnect the battery for at least 20 minutes (just the minus pole is enough)

3) connect the new Head Unit

4) connect the battery

After this the DSP Amplifier goes in a special mode were is switched on by the key-on can-bus message and switched off by the key-off can-bus message and doesn’t need the activation message sent by the original head unit.

This post is to give formal credit and a BIG THANK YOU to mspider65 for his simple and spot-on fix for the issue I was suffering with my Android Head Unit.

My car is a Skoda Superb Combi from 2011 equipped with the so-called "Sound System" 12 channel DSP amplifier. After the original (indeed a very expensive option) RNS-510 Columbus went briked for the second time (the first time I assumed a €400 repair) I decided to purchase a very cheap Aliexpress Chinese 10" Android 12 Head Unit. The HU fitted perfectly, and everything worked beautifully smooth, well, everything but the sound itself. I returned the Android unit and ordered a replacement, in which the issue was exactly the same, no sound from the speakers whatsoever.

I took the car and the HU to a professional car audio service. Result: I was billed €69 for their time only to be informed that the original radio was the only that would be able to interact with the DSP amply.

Then, after many many hours of internet research (if you are reading this you know what I mean), I found this post from mspider65. Just a few hours after (I had the battery disconnected for a couple of hours) my head unit was amazingly alive.