YETI EMISSIONS RECALL - Has anybody had a 110 bhp "done" and experienced any ill effect

eribaMotters

Well, I've had it done.

I eventually decided on this route as I am getting a slightly heavier caravan soon and have decided the long drives to and from collection will be a good indication if things have changed for the worse. My 3 yr warranty on the Yeti is over in June and if all is not well I will go for a remap.

Shark will be my preferred choice, followed by Celtic. The later, although significantly cheaper and well respected would mean I have to wait for them to be in my area. A Shark agent is local at only 20 minutes away drive should I need to follow up on anything.

Colin

If I was hanging on to an EGR one with a subsequent 'tune' I would go the whole hog and blank the EGR cooler unless there is a threat of MOT standards tightening up and getting pinched.

To me it's the obvious time to go armed with evidence demanding a very good trade-up deal.......if it's within budget ability of course.

If the dyno figures are subsequently confirmed by on-road experience and in the absence of VW official figures, a legal case in front of (auto) knowledgeable judge looks to have reasonable prospects, but you have to be a diesel lover to understand the vast difference 900rpm makes (1750 v 2650) if you are seeking maximum economy.

VW's lack of post fix data is, to me, an admission of sorts..........lots of platitudes aside

I

If I was hanging on to an EGR one with a subsequent 'tune' I would go the whole hog and blank the EGR cooler unless there is a threat of MOT standards tightening up and getting pinched.
To me it's the obvious time to go armed with evidence demanding a very good trade-up deal.......if it's within budget ability of course.
If the dyno figures are subsequently confirmed by on-road experience and in the absence of VW official figures, a legal case in front of (auto) knowledgeable judge looks to have reasonable prospects, but you have to be a diesel lover to understand the vast difference 900rpm makes (1750 v 2650) if you are seeking maximum economy.
VW's lack of post fix data is, to me, an admission of sorts..........lots of platitudes aside

So many variables spinning around at present and possible directions to take. Early retirement comes this summer, and possible selling up and moving north from Southend-on-sea to near Southport. Release in equity could mean a total change in direction. Probably remap, wait a couple of years to get settled, and then anything possible from a high spec Q3 to possibly a Macan. Time will tell.

Colin

• Like 1

Here in th UK the north/south divide is a joke, and it is only the fact of moving that means the cash could be available. For a similar house in a similar area I would be paying a little over half of what I could sell for here in the south.

I know realise why my sister who has stayed north has been able to drive such flash cars and have expensive holidays.

Colin

Here in th UK the north/south divide is a joke, and it is only the fact of moving that means the cash could be available. For a similar house in a similar area I would be paying a little over half of what I could sell for here in the south.

I know realise why my sister who has stayed north has been able to drive such flash cars and have expensive holidays.

Colin

Southern France/Spain/Portugal perhaps Colin?

Which has already been done by one member, and the results were no different before or after the mod.

Yes but it was a full throttle run, where the EGR (an area most likely to have received "attention") is inactive anyway so IMHO doesn't prove anything.

The changes will most likely affect light/part-throttle driving, which AFAIK no-one has done any testing of. That's the area where you could end up with odd effects like hesitation, or increased soot production causing increased regen frequency and shortened DPF life.

Also that dyno plot you refer to was really odd - massive dip where the torque should have been building to a peak, then in came in much later up the rev range than normal. I suspect something to do with running the 4x4 on a rolling road; if it performed on the real road as per the dyno plot it would be pretty awful to drive! It was the same before and after though.

Not doing a great deal of mileage each week, before the remap I had no problems with the particle filter light coming on, which then requires about 1/2 hour run down the motorway, since the remap having problems with the PF light, anyone else having this problem, the dealer says it's nothing to do with the remap?

I would have thought full throttle would have produced the higher combustion temperature that has to be controlled by activating the EGR .

It's my understanding that the more fuel the higher the combustion temperature

.? Anyone

I must admit I'm struggling to find google references to EGR not being used at full power on diesel engines, but my understanding is that the test cycles don't include full-power accelerations, and customers like good peak torque & power ratings when they are shopping for cars, therefore the EGR system is designed to be inactive at full power.

If just one person would do some VCDS logs of EGR usage on their EA189-engined car, we'd have a lot more to go on. Is this impossible for some reason I don't understand?

The industry certification testing is very industry friendly AKAIK.......lots of tippy toeing and feather footing and certainly nothing obscene like full throttle

The Italian tune is aimed at DPF cleansing but I've always thought that was likely to foul the EGR cooler and porting, so somewhat counterproductive.........?

Edited by Ryeman

If just one person would do some VCDS logs of EGR usage on their EA189-engined car, we'd have a lot more to go on. Is this impossible for some reason I don't understand?

It's easy enough to log if you've got the inclination. I'd do it but don't have laptop access at the moment.

My understanding is that once the turbo is providing enough boost, the intake air pressure will be higher than the exhaust gas pressure, so if the EGR valve remains open the air will simply blow through from the intake straight into the exhaust ?

• 2 months later...

our yeti adventure 2.0tdi was done at service last October and we have not noticed any adverse effects in all that time with drive ability mpg etc. all as before no ghosts in the closet to report .

On 31/03/2017 at 02:49, Ryeman said:

Hmm.  I'd find the whole article more convincing if Professor Ingemar Denbratt of the Chalmers University of Technology had actually understood that the point of the 'fix' is to reduce NOx emissions, not CO2.  Mind you, his full statement as quoted does actually seem to be casting doubt on the usefulness of the Teknikens Värld results, so perhaps they didn't want to scrutinise them in too much detail - even though a half-decent journalist should probably have followed up on the apparent contradiction between his words and VW Australia's statement that: "following the update the...CO2 emissions originally listed by the manufacturer were confirmed", which suggests that CO2 emissions were unchanged.

11 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

Hmm.  I'd find the whole article more convincing if Professor Ingemar Denbratt of the Chalmers University of Technology had actually understood that the point of the 'fix' is to reduce NOx emissions, not CO2.  Mind you, his full statement as quoted does actually seem to be casting doubt on the usefulness of the Teknikens Värld results, so perhaps they didn't want to scrutinise them in too much detail - even though a half-decent journalist should probably have followed up on the apparent contradiction between his words and VW Australia's statement that: "following the update the...CO2 emissions originally listed by the manufacturer were confirmed", which suggests that CO2 emissions were unchanged.

It seems to me the issue of a certification cheat gets confused with the discrepancy between CO2 and NOx and also between real world emissions (RWE) and the certification figures.

AFAIK VW is still the only one in the dock.........so far 

On 31/03/2017 at 02:49, Ryeman said:

More investigatory work

Good journalism for a change. I particularly liked "Volkswagen's Swedish arm said it was surprised by the result"

to quote Mandy Rice Davis, "they would say that wouldn't they"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've not been here for a while so only just spotted this.

I'm a bit anal about fuel consumtion and always check brim to brim milage, and can catagorically state that since the mod was done in November 2016, my MPG has dropped  to 51 MPG, which is the worst it's been.  To put this into perspective, winter an summer consumpion has varied as follows

Winter 2014/15 = 54mpg

Summer 2015 =61mpg

Winter 2015/16 = 55mpg

Summer 2016 = 62mpg

Winter 2016/17 = 51mpg

So following an upward trend, there has been about a 6% drop of over this winter, what summer will bring, who knows.

Not that it bothers me, Hetty the Yeti still drives as sweet as nut, with no dicernable difference in performance, so I'm still a happy bunny.