Drl daytime running lights do I have them?

I have a 59 reg face lift Octavia elegance which looks like it has drl lights.

It has 2 bulbs in each fog light. The ones near the centre of the car light up as the fogs.

The outer ones I understand to be the drl lights.

However I can't work out even from the manual how to turn them on.

I have tried the indicator stalk towards me and down/up etc but nothing.

I have maxi dot too but nothing in the lighting menu for drl appears.

Am I missing something easy here?

They need VCDS to turn them on ,at least I did with my one which has the same lamps.. 2011 oct.

After a while the would throw up a bulb fault , the bulbs were starting to melt at the center contact and lose contact occasionally. Too hot for them I reckon, Switched to LEDs and no problems since

Edited by erindad

Sounds like they are more hassle than they are worth if they start throwing up faults etc.

Very strange that the lights are there and the bulbs are in, but the function is not actually activated.

Maybe not activated as they are not required by law in the uk and therefore not activated for U.K cars.

I may just leave it for now. At least I know what they are.

I used the Carista app to make mine work. It is a two step process. First activate the DRL system using the app or other software. Then use the following to switch the lights on or off:

Deactivating the function daylight driving lights

– Pull the turn signal light lever towards the steering wheel within 3 seconds af- ter switching on the ignition and at the same time, slide it to the bottom and hold it in this position for at least 3 seconds.

Activating the function daylight driving lights

– Pull the turn signal light lever towards the steering wheel within 3 seconds af- ter switching on the ignition and at the same time, slide it towards the top and hold it in this position for at least 3 seconds.

DRL bulbs are long life type PY21W SLL.

If they were activated using vcds would the option to turn them on and off just also magically appear in my maxi dot menu?

And could anyone let me know what I would need to get myself started with vcds of my own?

Seraches reveal lots of different info.

I fiddled with old vag com versions years ago and I have myself a £40 code reader but would like to maybe get myself up to date now I have the Octavia.

Yes, once activated using VCDS they become fully functioning, including the ability to turn them on and off using either Maxidot (where fitted) or the process using the indicator stalk (on cars without Maxidot).

I'd have to have them activated, my OCD wouldn't allow me to drive a car without a fitted feature working properly  :D

SkodaOctaviaDRL.jpg

drlleft.jpg

Edited by silver1011