Cheapest way to phone from a mobile to USA

Fab Estate

Absolutely. Apps are the way ahead. Skype, WeChat etc.

Alternatively, I used to just google "cheap calls to... or cheap calls from..." (insert countries of your choice) whenever I needed to phone in or out of the UK because one of was was away.

You should find some really cheap rates where you initially phone a UK gateway number, then follow the prompts to enter the overseas number.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cheap+calls+to+the+usa+from+uk+mobile

Calling from the US is really cheap. Currently my American pay as you go operator Tracfone charges me the same per minute for international calls (through their gateway number) as they do for local calls.

Edited by camelspyyder

I'd check out the mobiles. Son & DIL use one of the BT VOIP setups to contact her folks in LA. But that's on a regular basis.

Thanks for the replies. I am ringing elderly relatives who don't understand the internet so SKYPE is out of the question. It wasn't a problem before because I was with Talk Talk and had free international calls but that stopped. I went this morning to the shop and Three do a PAYG 321 plan that also includes international calls. So phoning the USA is only 3p a minute which is OK by me.

Thanks for the replies. I am ringing elderly relatives who don't understand the internet so SKYPE is out of the question. It wasn't a problem before because I was with Talk Talk and had free international calls but that stopped. I went this morning to the shop and Three do a PAYG 321 plan that also includes international calls. So phoning the USA is only 3p a minute which is OK by me.

Double check their other call costs, UK prices are HUGE, that 2p saving over GG will last about 10 seconds into your first UK call.

• Like 1

Double check their other call costs, UK prices are HUGE, that 2p saving over GG will last about 10 seconds into your first UK call.

I already have a £20 monthly sim plan with three but they said it was cheaper to use PAYG 321 for international calls as it will only be 3 or 4 times a year for about 30 minutes. GG don't do PAYG as far as I know.

3 is 3p/min uk. GiffGaff is 15p according to MSE site last updated 2nd December.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/best-pay-as-you-go-sim-cards

GiffGaff isn't really as good as it once was. Is was and still is an O2 experiment before upsetting their main O2 customer base.

3 is 3p/min uk. GiffGaff is 15p according to MSE site last updated 2nd December.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/best-pay-as-you-go-sim-cards

GiffGaff isn't really as good as it once was. Is was and still is an O2 experiment before upsetting their main O2 customer base.

Thanks for the correction, neither of us have ever managed to get through all of our call package minutes (as GG to GG calls are free), so we hadnt noticed the change. Still a LOT cheaper than making a UK call on a BT landline though, also, outside of their package minutes 3, O2 and EE are VERY expensive.

GG have changed their USA prices as well, 2ppm to landline and mobiles, from 5ppm ) also 2ppm to China - I wondered why our extras seemed a bit cheaper than before.

As I mentioned before, GG data packages are not competitive, but on 4G (in Malvern at least), you arent severely bandwidth restricted, the way you are on 3G; I clocked up 55Mbps on speedtest last week, and not even full signal (about 75%).

OH, and Yes, GG are all about PAYG, you can have a monthly goody bag, a cash credit balance, or both. The cash balance doesnt expire for ages either; I have had £3.81 of credit for nearly 2 years (out of £5 I put on for a trip to China).you can change/cancel goody bag renewals, or just order a single months worth.

Edited by GentleGiant

What is the cheapest way to phone the USA from a mobile without using SKYPE, Viber or similar apps? I will only be phoning three or four times a year.

Have an iPhone or iPad? Simply use FaceTime for free!

I've had a text from ee overnight reminding me my plan includes international calling such as the US and mainland Europe for only 1p/minute.

If you're on contract with a mobile network, might be worth checking your plans rates

I am with Three and I went into the local shop and asked them and they were said 56p a minute but when I mentioned the Three321 plan they were very reluctant to even talk about it. I presume they get no commission. Anyway I got a Three321 sim card and international calls are 3p a minute by dialing another couple of numbers before the number you want to dial.

• Like 1