170,000 Mile (ish) Service

Hello,

My Octavia has racked up 170,000 miles. The last time the cambelt was done was 5 years ago at 120,000 according to a service card from a garage in the serice history. Whilst in there I'm going to do:

Air, Oil, Polen and fuel filters

Wheel Bearings

Brake fluid

Clean Intake Manifold

Change Ancilliary belt

Cambelt Water Pump and tensioner

Clean Intercooler Piping out

Clean MAF

Is there anything else people would recommend doing while I'm in there?

I started doing the brake fluid yesterday. The fluid in the reservoir looks very dirty. When I'm adding fluid to the res it seems to just go dirty again. Is there a way to empty all the old fluid out of the res and just flush all the piping after?

I'll be setting about it once i can get into the garage at 4pm so watch this space...

Thanks

Just been out to load up the car with tools and I've noticed the rear drivers side door lock popped back up when I locked the car. Ah well, the list goes on.

Also, I had a prpoblem with my fan first slowing down and speeding up by its self and eventually almost grinding to a halt over time. I removed the fan and cleaned it all off and blew it out with an airline. I then oiled the bearings with cycle chain oil, which was all I had laying around. This restored the blower to full working order on all settings. I dont know whether I'm listening for the slightest sound now but I think I heard it make a little noise at some point the other day. Would I be beter off re-doing it with a little thicker oil, so that it hangs about a bit longer?

I also have a little bit of white smoke on first start of the day. I'm going to hook my OBD up on startup to check the coolant temp sensor is reading correctly. Sily question but should it be around the same as the outside temp? - EDIT - Been out and made a video but sods law. NO white smoke and sarted a treat. It's uploading at the mo I'll stick a link up.

I'm picking up a rear caliper tomorrow. My handbrake has siezed on the near side. I tried to free it up but didnt know if i could take the lever off to clean behind it so left it alone. Are the 1U5 ones the same as a golf MK4 with the same engine?

Climaronic is ticking too.

Thanks in advance. If I find any relevant links to my problems I'll add them to this thread.

Edited by 1U5ASZ130

Hi All,

I've managed to get the timing belt, waterpump, ancilliary belt and coolant done. I still need to do the pump timing through vagcom. When I took of the wheel and checked the bearings and steering arms I noticed one of the inners had play so I've changed both of them out. With the new ones on the noise has gone from my drivers side and you can just hear the passenger side grumbling away now.

I've got some liqui-moly Diesel Purge to run through but thought I'd wait until I've nearly run out of fuel and then I'll clean the tank out inside when i do the purge.

Did the inlet manifold and it wasnt that bad to be honest. I've seen a lot worse on videos on youtube. There was only a thin coating on it.

Going to do the oil, filter and sump clean at the weekend.

Grearbox oil was done about a ear ago when I took the gearbox apart thinking a bearing had gone and a guy at the gearbox place sold me a metal shim that you can change by removing a single cap and circlip. I should really check the level on it.

Finally got the tools or the MAF too so I can give that a clean.

The mechanic is of until Wednesday so will get my bearings done then

I was trying to get the lock off today to do the micro-swtch in the door but I cant get the lock barrel out. I've slackened the lower t20 torx and even removed the top one but cant seem to get the actual barrel out of the door. I followed the wokshop manual and the bolt never gets tight it just clicks after about 15 turns and doesnt stop. I'm going to try to get the back one off tomorrow and see that comes off easier.

Ciao for now

• Like 1