Turbo Clamp

Following on form http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/420808-somethings-wrong-lets-play-guess-the-issue/ this thread, I've just heard back from the garage.

It seems it's the turbo clamp that's at fault, it's basically not reusable.

Having scoured the forum it's the clamp from this post I believe http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/417572-turbo-mk2-fl-tsi/?p=4758005

The garage of course can't source a part, as there isn't an official one, so a new turbo is the only fix from them.

Can anyone help in term of finding the part I need, Darkside seem to have popped up in a couple of threads but there's no answer. http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/stainless-exhaust-v-band-clamp-kit-2-25-2-5-2-75-3-0-3-5-4-0.html

I assume worse case scenario is a 2nd hand k03/04(?). I would have considered a turbo upgrade at this point, but with a work car arriving soon, the Skoda was going up for sale!

Edited by ChilledBud

Not too bad a suggestion then in your original, post reply. The original stock turbo is an IHI made turbo. RHF 5 I think?

Maybe a turbo remanufacturer would have a supply of the clamps. Presumably they must separate or need to replace in some refurbishments.

Why are they failing, how did yours fail -  heat stress and / or corrosion?

• Like 1

Thanks for the help mate, I've done some googling and found it to be

NH475141
V Clamp RHF5

Since there doesn't seem to be any in the UK, a Madrid company have one, but with shipping it's a whopping £65!

The TD05/TD06 code seems to pop up on the searches and I've found a V Clamp with that code on ebay for £13, so I've had to take a punt as I'm on night and don't have time to keep in searching for clues, the car needs to be back on the road for the Mrs as soon as. What I've orders http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390861516586

We've no clue why it's come off, in fact it wasn't even present on the garage finding the fault. Since the car only has around 60k of mostly very easy dual carriage way commute under it's belt, I'm at a loss of why it would come off with one slightly past speed limit run. I can't see it being heat stress as the cars always warm up well and commutes at 62mph! From a corrosion point of view it's no more used in Winter than your average car, with a couple washes a month.

I can't see why Skoda or other garage work would have involved it being loosened etc, so it's mystery!

I'm betting on the fact that within an hour of this post, someone will have figured out it's the wrong clamp for what I need, but for £13 and the sake of sleep it was worth a early morning shot!

Probably worth a punt. It looks broadly similar but seems to refer to Subarus as I'm sure you've seen.. The posting has dimensions detail but pretty hard to match if you don't have the original. Or you could give them a call, they list a helpline, and see if they can cross reference. There must be some turbo reconditioner somewhere in the UK that carry clamps - just a mission to find!

Bizarre that it broke off completely. There is some specific fitting instructions in the ebay listing with only 5nm torque. Maybe over torqued before. Or a vibration caused it to work loose???  The thing is they are in a pretty heat stressed area given it joins the exhaust manifold to the turbo housing.  Even for cars driven normally there will be a lot of heat there.

Good luck. Let the forum know how you get on. Maybe someone else who's been in the same position will reply eventually.

Turns out the garage do have the clamp when I phoned them with an update, bit of miscommunication of their behalf as I would have measured it before ordering another! Will retrieve it later and cross check sizes and check it's condition.

Just back from the garage, and it's a direct fit with no issues which is a massive relief.

Also had a quick check of the chain as they've done a few, and it's a thumbs up there too. He said they even did the listening throught a piece of wood to check :) .

Will post when I'm back home in term of what part people need for this fixnin the future.

• Like 1

A good result then. Well done. Who wants to replace a turbo for a broken clamp!

It's mental really. The garage stated it was a £1000 fix as they can't buy the part from any of their suppliers.

You can only wonder how many people have ended up paying that amount for a simple fix!

For anyone who needs one in the future the details you need are :

V Band

IHI Turbo RHF5

TD05 and TD06 are the same fittment part, and are used on cars such as Subaru, Mitsubishi etc

Fittment size:

OUTSIDE DIAMETER 90.8MM

ASSEMBLED SIZE 87.6MM

FLANGE CLAMPING THICKNESS 13.4MM

• 3 years later...

Hi guys, sorry to dig up an old thread.  I’ve got the exact same issue, the clamp has completely snapped. Is the one from the eBay link above the right size? Can’t seem to find one with the sizes you mentioned 😕 the garage said they couldn’t find one either