Links to Lucifer's Ultimate Guide to 1.4 TSI Twincharger Engines.

Rooted

Tells you about everything you will ever need to know about Euro 5 emissions 1.4 tsi/tfsi 132-136 kW & issues and fundamental design and manufacturing faults.

Part1

http://seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=407682

Part 2

http://seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=424912

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

Very informative.  Seems like a few, not very expensive fixes could have had this engine sorted from the start; thus making it sell more units.  A good example from VAG of "pennywise, pound foolish".

Very informative.  Seems like a few, not very expensive fixes could have had this engine sorted from the start; thus making it sell more units.  A good example from VAG of "pennywise, pound foolish".

In hopes of saving people having to wade through over 100 posts in two threads, would you mind listing these "few, not very expensive fixes" please?

In hopes of saving people having to wade through over 100 posts in two threads, would you mind listing these "few, not very expensive fixes" please?

Errrm it's all there in part 1.

If VW had engineered the thing correctly at the start then any additional cost to each unit would have been quite small I imagine.

Hi there, 

I've had a 2011 VRS for about 6 weeks now and keep checking back here out of interest to see what people are posting and talking about- it's great, and pleased there are so many enthusiasts. 

Reading this guide though would make you think well why would anyone buy this car?! 

Mine had oil and filter etc change at 34k in July '16 and the oil is still showing as full - so the oil consumption issue is obvisouly not an issue on my car. My concern is all the other things that could potentially go wrong. Could it be the case that actually I have a decent reliable German VAG car that will serve me well for many years to come? Most people tend to post only to complain or mention faults on the internet so that is all one gets to see (which can be depressing) but would anyone agree with me that there are actually lots of other Fabia VRS owners out there completely content with their motors and not had any problems?

I'm thinking of getting a warranty for peace of mind (about £240/yr) what are your thoughts on this?

Cheers

Jack 

• Like 1

Sorry it was £270 with £250 excess, less that 15000 KM /yr and on 'All component cover' ....

:thumbup:

Sound - you're as well to take the £250 excess - from memory it was about £100 more to reduce to nil and I only took it out as a 'catastrophe' cover (i.e. engine or gearbox going 'pop') - when it comes to replacing an engine or DSG then 250 quid is loose change!

• Like 1

:thumbup:

Sound - you're as well to take the £250 excess - from memory it was about £100 more to reduce to nil and I only took it out as a 'catastrophe' cover (i.e. engine or gearbox going 'pop') - when it comes to replacing an engine or DSG then 250 quid is loose change!

Yes exactly, I think for the sake of £20 odd quid a month, got to be worth it with the car's track record. Don't get me wrong- love the car! but don't want to be stung with a new engine or DSG box should it go 'pop' as you say a few thousand miles down the line.... 

• Like 1

jackster156,

there are less than 2,900 Mk2 vRS that were sold in the UK.  1,800 CAVE and 1,100 CTHE.

There will be maybe be 66% of the CAVE vehicles that have not had engines that had excessive oil use and Hardware Updates or Engines replaced through failure,

there are even replacement engines that then needed replaced.

The CTHE failures are not anything as high as with the CAVE.

There are similar failure rates in the Polo GTI, Ibiza & A1 185ps Twinchargers 2009-2012 or 2012-2014

Plenty good cars around and members here that have had more than one and no issues, 

some that have had more than one and issues and would still have another or miss what they had.

You just need to service them correctly, feed them good fuel and enjoy them, cheap smiles per miles.

• Like 3

Thank you Offski, appreciate your reply, feel mildly star struck that you as the blatant wise grandfather of this forum saw and replied to my worrying/dithering comments... lol

Feeling more assured now you said that, and re-considering the warranty. If things go pop then **** happens I guess, joys of motoring. Cheers, have a nice weekend all.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I'm yet another that read up and thought sod it I'll find a good one, 2011 56,000"miles service history dsg has had the work done sticker in boot well, had 3 weeks goes like a scolded cat handles pretty well for an estate, done over 600 miles hasn't used eny oil, looks like its had a new head, will take docs and passport to local main dealer see what's been done and get a print out, enjoying the daft thing as my daily drive to and from work, upgrading brakes discs and pads this weekend and fitted a forge induction which has improved pick up. See how it goes 

• Like 1