Changing headunit from Columbus - what's needed?

Hi guys! 

I've got the Columbus head unit with the 3-way speakers in the front and 2-way in the back. What's needed to change the head unit to something like the Android head units, is it possible, will the car accept it? If not could I go for maybe a normal 1-DIN Pioneer head unit instead but keep the other functionalities like AC working, PDC working? What's needed to make the steering wheel buttons to work? 

I would probably go for something like this if it works.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTORADIO-SPECIFICA-XTRONS-9-VW-SEAT-SKODA-ANDROID-GOLF-POLO-PASSAT-GPS-BLUETOO-/112228208401?hash=item1a21528f11:g:9F8AAOSw5cNYRufL

Edited by scootie

The android units are plug and play. I've just replaced my Bolero with one. Steering wheel buttons work, maxidot (to a point) etc. I just have the standard speakers (4 front, 4 rear) and have had no issues.

Why do you want to come away from the Columbus? I only changed my Bolero for the android unit as it was cheaper and gave me more functionality than the Bolero but the Columbus does pretty much everything?

The android units are plug and play. I've just replaced my Bolero with one. Steering wheel buttons work, maxidot (to a point) etc. I just have the standard speakers (4 front, 4 rear) and have had no issues.

Why do you want to come away from the Columbus? I only changed my Bolero for the android unit as it was cheaper and gave me more functionality than the Bolero but the Columbus does pretty much everything?

Well, since the columbus isn't anything near optimal with the super old nav-system, I only use it for radio and some bt-streaming but if my headunit could handle Waze/Google Maps instead of me needing to use my cell phone since the screen is much bigger, hey why not :D

And something tells me a different head unit could offer a better audio quality although these android head units seems to be kinda poor in audio quality? 

The sound quality on my android unit is 100% better than the bolero unit it replaced. I'm using google maps and Waze on mine. I've also installed iplayer radio for radio and spotify for streaming. Linked it all to my mobile via wifi as I have a huge data allowance.

• Like 1

Chris which android head unit did you get i have the basic Bolero .....cheers 

The sound quality on my android unit is 100% better than the bolero unit it replaced. I'm using google maps and Waze on mine. I've also installed iplayer radio for radio and spotify for streaming. Linked it all to my mobile via wifi as I have a huge data allowance.

Hi Chris, 

May i know the make and model of the android player on your superb?

Thanks