Odd striping marks on drivers seat?

So I noticed these a while back and now I am not sure whether they are getting worse or it is just my imagination....

Might be a little hard to see from the picture, but on my drivers seat, running back from the edge stitching of the front bolster from the front of the seat towards the back, I have a number of darker stripe marks on the seat. It looks either as if something has spilled/stained or that the material around it has actually faded slightly and these stripes are the original colour.

To the best of my knowledge, I have never spilt anything or done anything to have caused these. I have tried cleaning the area with some foam upholstery cleaner and a lightly damp cloth and nothing changed.

I don't recall seeing them when I picked the car up (ex-demo) but they may have been there then. Oddly in some light they are hardly visible and in others, they are very noticeable...the viewing angle also makes a different as to how prevalent they are.

Car has done only 13000Km and all the other seats are fine and there is no sign of any other wear or issues with the drivers seat.

Anyone else seen this or have any ideas? I am taking the car in on Friday for its oil service so will ask the dealer then as well.

post-141744-0-53323600-1483916432_thumb.jpg

Edited by Item

I see the faint horizontal stripes. Is your car exposed to regular sun?

It's possible that some creasing occurs in this area and the fabric in the bottom of the crease is more shaded and thus less susceptible to fading.But it could be other effects including dye transfer from your clothing or friction from use or a slight variation in the original fabric. Personally I'd not worry unless the effect gets very extreme.

Fabric in my 1.4TSI has a strong diagonal stripe, very unlike yours. Auckland is under a hole in the ozone layer and your latitude is equivalent of North Africa- so the  UV will be strong compared to the UK and my be more likely to cause fading.

I need to take a picture in a better light as I am not sure what I am talking about is properly visible!

It might  be sun, but I would expect the same on the passenger seat as well if that were the case - in fact more so as the driver seat is usually covered up by me...

It seems pretty minor to me!

But, if it irritates you enough for you to post, I hope you can get it sorted out.

I get that, "I notice it every time I get into the car" thing. I can be like that too! Once it's an irritation, it needs to be dealt with!

Good luck sorting it!

It seems pretty minor to me!

But, if it irritates you enough for you to post, I hope you can get it sorted out.

I get that, "I notice it every time I get into the car" thing. I can be like that too! Once it's an irritation, it needs to be dealt with!

Good luck sorting it!

Hah yeah I obsess over dings, scratches, rattles, buzzes, new engine notes/whines etc and 9 times out of 10 no-one else notices until I point them out.

...Not sure it is entirely healthy behavior!

That said, you will have to take my word on the fact that it can be much more noticeable in the flesh, depending on light and angle of viewing!

• Like 1

I have exactly the same lines on my drivers seat, Irritates the hell out of me every time I get in!  Looks like the fabric has stretched slightly creating those lines.  Think its just something we will have to live with :(

• Like 1

So I noticed these a while back and now I am not sure whether they are getting worse or it is just my imagination....

Might be a little hard to see from the picture, but on my drivers seat, running back from the edge stitching of the front bolster from the front of the seat towards the back, I have a number of darker stripe marks on the seat. It looks either as if something has spilled/stained or that the material around it has actually faded slightly and these stripes are the original colour.

To the best of my knowledge, I have never spilt anything or done anything to have caused these. I have tried cleaning the area with some foam upholstery cleaner and a lightly damp cloth and nothing changed.

I don't recall seeing them when I picked the car up (ex-demo) but they may have been there then. Oddly in some light they are hardly visible and in others, they are very noticeable...the viewing angle also makes a different as to how prevalent they are.

Car has done only 13000Km and all the other seats are fine and there is no sign of any other wear or issues with the drivers seat.

Anyone else seen this or have any ideas? I am taking the car in on Friday for its oil service so will ask the dealer then as well.

attachicon.gifseat1.jpg

My car has this exactaly the same on the seat base bolster, i think its a few things, dirt, or dust, i believe there is a seam underneath this makes it noticeable. I used some autoglym shampoo i removed it however it came back. Edited by Alpha2110
  • Like 2

I have exactly the same lines on my drivers seat, Irritates the hell out of me every time I get in!  Looks like the fabric has stretched slightly creating those lines.  Think its just something we will have to live with :(

Dealer took a pic and is going to review with Skoda NZ - will see what happens (not expecting much...)

Get yourself some custom stitched leather covers if you cant stand those marks, seats will look much better and more expensive.

Edited by toni8b

• 4 weeks later...

So! An unexpected result from the dealer today.

Apparently Skoda NZ acknowledged it appears to be a manufacturing fault/flaw and my replacement seat cover is on its way from the Czech republic!

Given the negative result most people seem to have with their seat complaints, I am pleasantly surprised. Will update once the work is done...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Update!

Seat base finally arrived ( a month ago ) and I finally found time to get it replaced. Job done, new, pristine and mark-free base installed.

So far pretty pleased with my dealer as far as warranty work is concerned - I had a few niggles since buying (nothing major) and Giltrap in Auckland have been sympathetic and quick to resolve all of them.