Fabia 1.4 101 vs octavia 1.8t, mpg, better buy?

Antiphat

Hi guys!

I've decided to try skoda for the first time in my life but im having a real hard time deciding!

I've locked my eyes on either the Fabia mk1, 1.4 16v 100 hp, as my GFs mother got a 1.4 75, nice car, really fun to drive (im not used to small cars) feels liek a gocart., not much power, does okay on fuel tho and sounds awesome.

In the other corner there is an 2003 Octavia mk1 elegance 1.8t, i like how the car looks, and it is a lot more tuneable than the fabia, altho people tell me all kind og different MPG readings on em. Never driven one , yet.

I've been told, that in reality I should see the same fuel economy on both cars, I mostly drive very eco friendly. I do launch it sometimes tho and will consider my self a petrol head. The car are going to be used on my daily commute (nothing more than 4-5 kilometers) and on road trips during winter/summer (hint: this is my MPG concern)

I've like the fabia a lot, but if the MPG is the same as the 1.8t when i thrash it, and with 17" inch wheels, I might as well go for the turbo?

What do ya think?

Well, over 5km commutes neither engine is going to get that warmed up, so if we consider cold consumption I'd say it will make little difference.

If you anticipate doing "load" (volume or mass) hauling and/or long motorway trips then the Octy will be a much more capable car.

I would look at fabia,  Be a bit less on repairs and running it, like insurance and perhaps slightly better mpg but as mentioned short journeys are the kiss of death to an engine and fuel economy.

Maybe look at going in the middle of these two cars, as you talk about "thrashing them" you obviously like a bit of performance.  I would recommend the 1.9tdi for sure in either fabia or octy form. also a strong engine which returns good mpg and can be very torquey.  If its a good strong tdi the a basic stage 1 map would make you grin. 

If it was me, I would be looking for a fabia 1.9tdi for the all round package

between the two; I'd go for the Octavia. Elegance spec so you get climate control rather than just air con IIRC, plus heated seats, heated door mirrors. A massive boot (trunk) that's getting on for twice the size of the Fabia boot. Very tuneable engine as you consider yourself a petrol head.