Ste's Sunday Shine - 2017 under way with some new products to test

samuir1974

Hi All - so i used to do a dedicated thread for my weekend detailing routine.... but lack of time and detailing ended that!

Sometimes interesting, sometimes some new products in there, sometimes good to start product discussion, etc

So i thought to re-start these.... see if it is of interest.

Diving right in - i had taken delivery of a few products on Saturday, purchased in the iShine payday sale.

Plus a new wheel brush to test out and the Z4 roof needed the rubber seals treating - looking very dry.

So both the .:R36 and Z4 sorted on the day, but slightly differing routines due to time allocated.

I had the Z4 all day, but the R36 was out taking the kids to swimming, shopping etc.

Products of interest:

- Waxaddict Subzero Wax

- Waxaddict Slick rims tyres dressing

A typical foam, rinse and 3BM wash routine, but to elaborate on detailing products used:-

Z4

- ValetPro Citrus pre-wash applied to the whole car and left to dwell

- Rinsed then foamed with AD foam lance using Bilt Hamber Auto foam, and left to dwell

- Badges, door shuts, boot lip and fuel filler all APC'd and detailing brush to agitate.

- Car then rinced of foam and APC.

- Alloys with dooka wheel shampoo, various brushes and wheel mitt, then rinsed

- Tyres APC'd and scrubbed with stiff wheel brush

- Wash with Britemax Cleanmax Shampoo and i6 Auto wash mitt

- Rinsed with filtered water supply

- Towel dried with CYR twisted pile towels; and the remainder blown dry with pet drier.

- Exhausts polished with Meguiars NXT metal polish.

- Door shuts, exhausts and alloys, wipedown with Sonax BSD.

- Tyres with Waxaddict Slickrims dressing

- Interior wipedown and clean with Dr Leather wipes. Stubborn stains with AD Leather Cleanse.

- Roof opened up and parked mid-way for clean and nourish of all rubbers and seals.

- Roof fully-opened and all exposed plastics cleaned with EZ Sleek, and UV protectant to finish.

- Paintwork then treated to Waxaddict Subzero wax and buffed.

.:R36

- ValetPro Citrus pre-wash applied to the whole car and left to dwell

- Rinsed and a decent amount of the main grit and grime seen to fall off.

- Foamed with AD foam lance using Bilt Hamber Auto foam, and left to dwell

- Badges, door shuts, boot lip and fuel filler all APC'd and detailing brush to agitate.

- Car then rinced of foam and APC.... leaving almost a halo of grime and dirt on the driveway!

- Alloys with dooka wheel shampoo, various brushes and wheel mitt, then rinsed

- Tyres APC'd and scrubbed with stiff wheel brush

- Wash with Britemax Cleanmax Shampoo and i6 Auto wash mitt

- Rinsed with filtered water supply

- Car then sealed with KKD Purity-X via foam lance 15ml to 1L dilution.

- Rinsed again with filtered water supply

- Towel dry with CYR twisted pile towels; and the remainder blown dry with pet drier.

- Door shuts, exhausts and alloys, wipedown with Sonax BSD.

- Door rubbers treated with Gummi pflege

- Tyres with Slickrims dressing

- Finished just as darkness fell - so interior to do another day.

So a few comments on products used.....

KKD Purity-x.... a really awesome product for winter detailing i find.

I only had the .:R36 from about 2.30pm on Sunday - so time and daylight was limited.

As i recall, 5ml to 500ml is a good guideline for dilution in foam lance. I use 15ml to 1L.

Using foam lance.... cover the car in the resultant weak looking foam, leave for 5-10 mins to fizz and activate with a rinse to follow.

Auto Rae-Chem Wheel brush

Looks like an EZ detail brush copy; but purchased this one via ebay at £9.75 delivered.

So about half price on the main EZ item.... initial impressions ok, we shall see how long it lasts.

Waxaddict Slick rims Tyre dressing

I've certainly enjoyed testing a few WA products in recent times; normally very good performers and cost effective too.

Shame that the Halford's "deal" appears to have been dropped as this was a real big selling point for me!!!

Anyway - my currentl tyre dressing performs well.... but its greasy, messy and starting to annoy me a bit.

This product is very different..... and a pleasant change. A little product goes a long way... i wasted a load of product as i over applied.

If you try it out - you will see that its easy done as well! once under control and applied correctly it needs to cure and dry for the final finish.

A wipedown before fully dried results in the matt finish. The mix includes some SiO2 tech - so will allegedly boost longevity of the finish.

I will monitor this for sure....

Waxaddict Subzero really interested me as i'm a real waxwhore when it comes to detailing as you all kow by now!

But at these temps.... around 2 to 4degC, it's a tricky time of year to use wax and ensure it cures correctly.

The wax itself contains a balanced mix of polymer and organic wax blended with fast drying oils to aid curing times.

Allegedly - "will cure within 8 minutes at 0-5C and leaves superb gloss, ultra strong water beading and tough durability."

It certainly needs to be applied thin, which was achieved using the AP wax puck and soft 80mm black pad. Smells nice - menthol.

Left too long intentially on test panel >10 mins - what an absolute pig to buff. I then found a 5min cure time easy to work with.

So really 1 or 2 panels at a time i would say..... and very nice results.

Some over night rain.... and beads look very healthy indeed.... see photos below when uploaded....

<<<Pics to follow.... uploading.>>>

Thanks for reading guys.... and constructive feedback or comment welcome.

Cheers,
Ste.

Edited by samuir1974
  • Like 3

First off, A couple of nice motors you have samuir :thumbup: always nice to see them bang tidy.

2nd thing, A great little guide to help out folks that need to have a method "on how to clean a car" step by step routine B)

3rd thing, Do you not use a glass cleaner, just as I didn't see you mention it within your list or maybe you couldn't find it among all the detailing stuff in the back :giggle:  :D  B) which no doubt you have tons more of. :rofl:

16426085_10209846320809360_6152043104345

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BATVANVRS said:

First off, A couple of nice motors you have samuir :thumbup: always nice to see them bang tidy.

2nd thing, A great little guide to help out folks that need to have a method "on how to clean a car" step by step routine B)

3rd thing, Do you not use a glass cleaner, just as I didn't see you mention it within your list or maybe you couldn't find it among all the detailing stuff in the back :giggle:  :D  B) which no doubt you have tons more of. :rofl:

16426085_10209846320809360_6152043104345

Thanks for the comments buddy!

Glass.... hahaha 

The job i really hate to do; and i only do glass every so often.... and certainly not this weekend.

I generally like it to be a bit warmer when doing glass, it was far too cold on Sunday.

As for glass cleaners.... KKD Krystal Klear or AD Crystal are both good. I like KKD due to the scent options.

A new favourite that i have seen KarlvRS test recently is dooka glass.

I have a sample bottle to test, but not used as yet in person.

Seemingly this one is amazingly good on glass... as karl tested it on his heavily e-cig residue smeared glass!

...finally on glass.... a decent glass weave cloth helps as well.

• Like 1

Excellent write up buddy and great to see the Sunday shine threads back in action! 

Dooka Glass as you mentioned above is outstanding. Best cleaner I've tried to date.  

Great insight into the new Waxaddict gear too! 

Both the Z4 & R36 looking awesome! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hunty278 said:

Yes Ste! I did enjoy your old thread, I'm glad to see it return. 

I'll catch up on this properly later, but looks great!

17 minutes ago, KarlvRS1991 said:

Excellent write up buddy and great to see the Sunday shine threads back in action! 

Dooka Glass as you mentioned above is outstanding. Best cleaner I've tried to date.  

Great insight into the new Waxaddict gear too! 

Both the Z4 & R36 looking awesome! 

Thanks for the positive comments guys - really appreciated.

Life has settled down a bit now after work stuff, moving house and what have you.

It's good to get back into the detailing - that's for sure, forgot how much i enjoyed it!

• Like 1

Awesome info there Ste. I've heard good things about the Tyre Dressing, so Longevity reports would be very much appreciated. 

The cars are looking stunning dude. A nice days detailing there! Keep us updated!

• Like 1