Steamed up headlights

My Mk2 Superb with Bi-Xenons got this when we first got it in 2015, it has since mostly gone, and it only appears after using the car on a cold/rainy day.  Hopefully it will be a nice day when we pick up the Mk3 so it won't be too bad on there!

Had similar with mine (though not nearly as bad as some of the pics on here) when I picked it up. I suspect it had sat outside on the forecourt for 4 weeks between me putting down the deposit and picking up the car. It lasted for a couple of days - maybe up to a week, then disappeared and hasn't come back. Mine is parked indoors, so likely not getting down to freezing or being rained on overnight. I suspect that helps. I also try to avoid over-soaking / blasting the headlight area with the jet-wash when washing though I have absolutely no idea if that makes any difference or not.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

We took the delivery of our Superb in January. Since day 1 it had these condensation issues. We ignored it at first thinking that it is caused to due to cold weather. Most of the driving was during day time so we kept on ignoring it. It used to show up after some minutes the headlights were switched on and it kept on increasing for as long as the headlights were kept on. We were driving late nights few months back, it covered like most of the headlight so we went to the dealership. They kept on making excuses like this is normal, we should not switch on headlights for more than an hour straight, no other car has this issue, this will be fixed via setting, we need to get more knowledge as in how to use the headligths. They did nothing for months. I knew someone from the management as the dealership harassed us during the sales phase also, he chipped in and the headlights were replaced, though I was pretty sure that they installed it after taking it out from an another car. Anyways the new one's are also showing signs of condensation now

Old headlights

14pjjb.png

29vxnp0.png

New Headlights

15yvfvn.png

27y30b5.png

In the new one's due to the lightening the intensity is being demonstrated to a lesser level in the photographs. They are clueless as in what exactly is causing this. What they did was they replaced it from a demo car. One of the dealership's guy spilled the beans about this when I pressed him. I again complained to Skoda, they sent an engineer he examined the car and said that it is normal and that the condensation won't cover it fully, even if it does it will let the light pass through due to the shape of the reflectors.

He had no answers why the other Superb's don't have this issue but he said that he can replicate the issue in like 10 minutes in any other car.

Now out of the again replaced headlights one of the headlights was manufactured in 2016 before the mfg date of the car. When I raised this point they said that they have replaced the headlights twice and they won't be doing anything as this is normal. The dealership sucks to the core but even Skoda would do this it was never expected. Check the manual page, it says that any mist formed will go away when the headlights are turned on but in our case it forms after the headlights are turned on and that too in any weather condition

24edw89.jpg

Headlights after 20-30 minutes drive with headlights at night

2m3r904.jpg

24m501t.jpg

After about 40-50 minutes drive

14sky8p.jpg

mm648y.jpg

The Skoda guy said the temperature inside is around 200 degrees and its vacuum so it causes condensation but they had no answer why only our car has this issue. It is happening every night, starts after about 20 minutes as seen in the photos above. It is happenening irrespective of the weather, the summers here are like 45-50 degrees Celsius and winters around 10 degrees Celsius. I thought the car washing might cause this so I am going for waterless wash since the past few months.

This condensation is not happening in other Skoda cars that I have seen not even in An Audi which has the same headlights.

There are some that say that it is normal and have that temperature thing as a reason for it BUT the others either don't have it or face it only during cold/hot weather. Even if I was facing it during change of climate then I would have been okay by it. But I face it every night. Moreover they look so bad :(

Read his point 5, now check the manual photo which I have posted above. It means that the condensation should go away after the headlights are turned on, but in my case it shows up only after they are switched on.

https://www.carlightblog.com/2014/06/24/fogging-the-ultimate-guide/

What should I do?

Thanks

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have and still have this problem on my MK3 Superb. I did manage to get one headlight replaced under warranty. Unfortunately this reoccurred and the other one started playing up.

It is a real pain in the a**e.